The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yawn11
Take a deep breath bro, we're all in the same boat. Many graduates - including myself are unsure of what career path they wanna pursue.

Ideally I'd to be a on a graduate scheme/job that would allow me to be involved in the advancement or management of healthcare, whether it be with the NHS, a pharmaceutical company or civil service. But the competition is so fierce atm that I'm open to starting off in other areas, like business development or general management.

Stay strong. Avoid the darkside!
Reply 802
hi
Reply 803
Hey!! I have a band 5 Biomedical scientist interview soon. Any advice? What should I expect? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I have firmed biomedical science and sunderland university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying biomedical science was a waste of my time,money and energy.Medicine,here I come!
Reply 806
Agreed, I'd totally advise against doing biomed.
Original post by queen-bee
Studying biomedical science was a waste of my time,money and energy.Medicine,here I come!

Yeah, all that knowledge you picked up in the three years you studied biomedical science is bound to be absolutely useless for medicine. </sarcasm>

Original post by uer23

I agree with the above too.
Aside from the learning, that is.
Original post by 2468
Hey!! I have a band 5 Biomedical scientist interview soon. Any advice? What should I expect? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, congrats!

Trust policies, knowledge of some of the procedures done depending on the department...not really sure what else.
Reply 810
Which biomed grad from here secured a Trainee post without hcpc registration and sandwich placement ?

Original post by uer23

Original post by ash92:)
I agree with the above too.
Aside from the learning, that is.

Just out of interest, why have you all found it a waste of time? Was it not what you were expecting? Job prospects afterwards? Were you not wanting to become HCPC registered biomedical scientists?
Original post by Joshalos
Just out of interest, why have you all found it a waste of time? Was it not what you were expecting? Job prospects afterwards? Were you not wanting to become HCPC registered biomedical scientists?

Job prospects. HCPC reg is difficult to achieve with the lack of trainee posts, and the few that are there are taken by those with greater experience.
Job prospects. HCPC reg is difficult to achieve with the lack of trainee posts, and the few that are there are taken by those with greater experience.

Just because you did an IBMS accredited course doesn't mean that your only job prospect is to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS. You could do a PGCE and teach, you could apply for PhDs and go further into academia, you could apply for the NHS STP or medicine (granted that they're both extremely competitive). It's a strong degree that trains you to look at things and analyse them critically. There are a multitude of transferable skills.
Reply 814
Hi, congrats!

Trust policies, knowledge of some of the procedures done depending on the department...not really sure what else.

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use to consider biomedical science but recently I've changed my mind! :smile: :wink:
Original post by Lethorio
Just because you did an IBMS accredited course doesn't mean that your only job prospect is to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS. You could do a PGCE and teach, you could apply for PhDs and go further into academia, you could apply for the NHS STP or medicine (granted that they're both extremely competitive). It's a strong degree that trains you to look at things and analyse them critically. There are a multitude of transferable skills.

Certainly. But I'd rather not take the teaching route at the moment and PhDs aren't easy - they require much time, money and effort.
The STP is indeed competitive.
Granted, there are transferable skills acquired. However, this is not the issue. Rather the issue is whether or not employers give the opportunity for skills acquired to be used elsewhere. In my own experience, they certainly aren't open to the idea. Of course, the outcome may differ for others.
Original post by Joshalos

It wasn't what I thought it would be,I just didn't like it in the end and lost interest when I graduated
Reply 818
It wasn't what I thought it would be,I just didn't like it in the end and lost interest when I graduated

Just curious, are you holding a GEP medicine offer ?
Original post by uer23
Just curious, are you holding a GEP medicine offer ?

Hellz yeah

Latest

Trending

Trending