The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Shadez
Me too I don't think I ever get it on the first try. My process go something like this:

1. try work out the intitial energy first
2. decided where the reference point for the height will be i.e. the ground
3. work out the extension ( arguably the hardest part )
4. Faff around with the numbers in my calculator and see if they match the ones on the page.

I usually try work out the constant first so the c in ax^2+bx+c and so that way it will save me time and space on the page to see if im heading in the right direction or not.

5. Usually at this stage I've messed up somewhere since I've not matched my constant to theirs. I would check over my calculations again and see I've made any mistakes

6.Lol at this stage I've given up trying to work out the questions using my knowledge and I'll start putting likely numbers in the extension part of my equation (as this is usually where its all gone wrong).
Believe it or not it's worked out on at least two occasions :biggrin:

I guess with this sort of thing practice makes perfect

Hahahah. Sounds like my method! Although I usually give up when I realise the extension is wrong -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Is the top one to do with rates of change of momentum?

Yeah it's just using the definition of force as the rate of change of momentum.
F=dPdt=d(mv)dt=mdvdt+vdmdtF = \dfrac{dP}{dt} = \dfrac{d(mv)}{dt} = m\dfrac{dv}{dt} + v\dfrac{dm}{dt}. In M2 mass will always be constant so it reduces to F=mdvdt=maF = m\dfrac{dv}{dt} = ma
Reply 142

No problem! We're all here to help one another.
Reply 143
Original post by morgan8002
Yeah it's just using the definition of force as the rate of change of momentum.
F=dPdt=d(mv)dt=mdvdt+vdmdtF = \dfrac{dP}{dt} = \dfrac{d(mv)}{dt} = m\dfrac{dv}{dt} + v\dfrac{dm}{dt}. In M2 mass will always be constant so it reduces to F=mdvdt=maF = m\dfrac{dv}{dt} = ma

That makes sense :smile: How are you finding past papers for M2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Original post by Tiwa
No problem! We're all here to help one another.

I appreciate it - how are you finding M2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
Original post by CD223
I appreciate it - how are you finding M2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it the most difficult of the three modules of C4, M2 and C3. Those EPE questions I just find so difficult.
Reply 146
Original post by Tiwa
I find it the most difficult of the three modules of C4, M2 and C3. Those EPE questions I just find so difficult.

EPE questions are the worst. The rest of the "harder" topics are sometimes manageable but that always trips me up forming the equation as I always get the wrong xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by CD223
EPE questions are the worst. The rest of the "harder" topics are sometimes manageable but that always trips me up forming the equation as I always get the wrong xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! and I never know what the extension is for those type of question when you have to form a equation to find x.
Reply 148
Original post by Tiwa
Exactly! and I never know what the extension is for those type of question when you have to form a equation to find x.

I'm just gonna accept that I'll lose those marks and try to do better in C3 and C4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Original post by CD223
I'm just gonna accept that I'll lose those marks and try to do better in C3 and C4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just gonna keep trying different questions on EPE to try and improve on them.
Original post by CD223
That makes sense :smile: How are you finding past papers for M2?Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was doing them, good.
M2 is my last exam so I've got 3 days I can spend just doing M2 so I'm going to hold off revision until then.
Reply 151
Original post by Tiwa
I'm just gonna keep trying different questions on EPE to try and improve on them.

Do you know many good resources for M2 besides past papers? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
When I was doing them, good.
M2 is my last exam so I've got 3 days I can spend just doing M2 so I'm going to hold off revision until then.

That sounds good! That's so lucky. Computing on the 23rd is my last exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Original post by CD223
Do you know many good resources for M2 besides past papers? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The CGP revision guide is helpful. Maybe the physicsandmathstutor website?
Reply 154
Original post by Tiwa
The CGP revision guide is helpful. Maybe the physicsandmathstutor website?

I'll give the physicsandmathstutor website a go for EPE questions - thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That sounds good! That's so lucky. Computing on the 23rd is my last exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. I have 7 exams the week before and 4 the week before that so no time at all to revise M2. A lot of people in my classes are finishing on the 24th with D2 and you're finishing on the 23rd so I'm only finishing a few days before.
Reply 156
Not really. I have 7 exams the week before and 4 the week before that so no time at all to revise M2. A lot of people in my classes are finishing on the 24th with D2 and you're finishing on the 23rd so I'm only finishing a few days before.

Ouch. I have 7 exams in total lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 8 maths exams 😞
Reply 158
Original post by JackNorman
I have 8 maths exams 😞

😁 I have 3 maths, 2 physics, 1 history and 1 computing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 8 maths exams and 18 exams total.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending