The Student Room Group

Should Oxbridge students be made to wear gowns and be given a title?

Should Oxbridge students be made to wear gowns and be given a title similar to that of Peers in the House of Lords?
No... what about the people who get in through nepotism? Do we really want those ***** in the House of Lords (not to say this many Oxbridge students but it is some)?
Reply 2
Original post by EllieC130
No... what about the people who get in through nepotism? Do we really want those ***** in the House of Lords (not to say this many Oxbridge students but it is some)?

You get given Peerages so why not titles of the same ilk for Oxbridge students? Afterall, that is where the ball gets rolling.
what would the purpose of this be?
Original post by studyworm
You get given Peerages so why not titles of the same ilk for Oxbridge students? Afterall, that is where the ball gets rolling.

What would the title be? Not many use the whole (Cantab) thing, doubt a full title would see any more up take.
Original post by Le Nombre
What would the title be? Not many use the whole (Cantab) thing, doubt a full title would see any more up take.

Really?

I'm gonna use MA (Cantab) wherever possible when the time comes.
Reply 6

How about Knight of the Realm?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Really?

I'm gonna use MA (Cantab) wherever possible when the time comes.

Yeah, generally wherever you're writing down 'BA Law' it's on a CV, LinkedIn, pitch document or similar, where you'll have written 'University of Cambridge' so there's no need to put the (Cantab).

The only example I can think of was an email sig on a deal:

John Smith, MA (Oxon)
Associate
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
DD etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally, you'd look like a massive, overprivileged **** to me.

If I was in that position I'd do my best to avoid flaunting my privilege in such a way.
Yeah, generally wherever you're writing down 'BA Law' it's on a CV, LinkedIn, pitch document or similar, where you'll have written 'University of Cambridge' so there's no need to put the (Cantab).

Ah yes that makes sense.

I think I've seen it on some business cards too.
:lol: I don't see any reason why they should

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending