The Student Room Group

AQA HIS2P American civil Rights 20th May 2015

apologies if a thread has been created already - anybody else sitting this exam next week? how are you feeling about it?

EDIT: if anybody fancies making a Facebook revision group or something let me know :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank goodness someone made a thread!! Feeling so so unprepared! My knowledge is getting there but just applying it in the exam is scaring me... Oh and the sources can be so so hard!! 😫 my unit 1 didn't go that brilliantly yesterday so I really need this to go well, but not feeling positive atm
Reply 2
im feeling nervous, can anyone by any chance predict what may come up?
Reply 3
Original post by M_E_Rosie
Thank goodness someone made a thread!! Feeling so so unprepared! My knowledge is getting there but just applying it in the exam is scaring me... Oh and the sources can be so so hard!! 😫 my unit 1 didn't go that brilliantly yesterday so I really need this to go well, but not feeling positive atm

don't be defeatist, you have days to prepare thoroughly and you can get any grade on the day :smile: really think about your structure as you are writing and get everything you need for a level 4/5 and you'll do great!

Original post by yazaa98
im feeling nervous, can anyone by any chance predict what may come up?

quite hard to predict, my teacher printed a large document containing all of the indicative content for the exams, I would go through that and see what questions come up more regularly than others, and also you can probably guarantee the questions from last year won't come up
My teacher gave us a grid with what has come up throughout the years and she has filled in what years the section came up in and which question it was.. She then went through and predicted what she thinks will come up which is...

eisenhower (last on in June 2012)
Johnson (last on in June 2012)
legislation (last on in Jan 2012)
progress by 1968 ( this hasn't been on since Jan 2011 so this is highly likely)

DONT USE THIS AS FACT THOUGH! I don't want you guys to just revise this stuff and find out it doesn't come up! That's just what my teacher told us... Hope this helps!!!
Also how are you all revising? We don't have a revision guide for this Unit so I'm left with my text book, my notes and my folder which for me isn't all that great coz I get bored of reading lots of text....
Reply 6
Original post by Harrietgh98
Also how are you all revising? We don't have a revision guide for this Unit so I'm left with my text book, my notes and my folder which for me isn't all that great coz I get bored of reading lots of text....

i agree I wouldn't recommend anybody basing their revision off predictions because thats a risky game to play!

i am revising by creating multiple large spider diagrams on an A1 sheet of paper with a spider for each CR group, president, event etc and hoping to sink it in that way.

i will also create revision cards, as although i will be writing the information out again, just doing so helps to sink in

And finally i'll be going through my indicative content booklet highlighting which factors come up for which questions to see any sort of 'go-to' factors.

you?
That sounds like a good way to revise... Atm I'm just reading through my text book and using YouTube videos and documentaries to help sink in all the Civil Rights protests as I find that section the most confusing.

I also have A3 sheets for each president and I am currently making notes from my text book, like you said, just re writing it helps it to sink in.

If if I get time I might also do a past paper but I am slightly worried as I have my Spanish and French exam next week as well so I need time to do those past papers!

Original post by benwick
i agree I wouldn't recommend anybody basing their revision off predictions because thats a risky game to play!

i am revising by creating multiple large spider diagrams on an A1 sheet of paper with a spider for each CR group, president, event etc and hoping to sink it in that way.

i will also create revision cards, as although i will be writing the information out again, just doing so helps to sink in

And finally i'll be going through my indicative content booklet highlighting which factors come up for which questions to see any sort of 'go-to' factors.

you?
If you click on this link it will take you to an Ebook... It's the one my school used and Chapter 5 is all about Black Power... It's really useful.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PSgPJxR8Yx0C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Original post by kaytaylou
we haven't been taught about black power really anyone got any revision materials for this?
Reply 9
Original post by Harrietgh98
That sounds like a good way to revise... Atm I'm just reading through my text book and using YouTube videos and documentaries to help sink in all the Civil Rights protests as I find that section the most confusing.

I also have A3 sheets for each president and I am currently making notes from my text book, like you said, just re writing it helps it to sink in.

If if I get time I might also do a past paper but I am slightly worried as I have my Spanish and French exam next week as well so I need time to do those past papers!

the best youtube documentary we were shown was called Eyes on the Prize - sure you've probably heard of / watched some of those, they are perfect if anybody else wants to watch them, I just found them slightly long winded
Reply 10
ooh i have a copy of that txtbook! (:
there was a question on a past exam that was like explain why malcom x left the nation of islam and i swear black power isnt really covered in that much detail?

we use that book too, theres an entire chapter on black power! from page 112 to 131
Reply 11
just looking in it now, i really hate the texbook since nothing is in date order, the textbook we used for unit 1 was much clearer

thats because the unit two is more of an 'in depth' study if i'm not mistaken? so instead of studying the chronology of events and one leading to the other etc its more about evaluating the events of the period by looking at the situation from every possible angle?

thats what we've been told anyway :biggrin:
Reply 12
i have a rather specific question as everywhere I look im getting a different answer

in BROWN v BOARD, Oliver Brown wanted his daughter to go to the closest school 3? blocks away, and instead had to send her to a black school 20? blocks away

I was under the impression this was 3 and 20 but everywhere says different!
Reply 13
we only got taught those source essays last week... my class is really unprepared
our teacher for unit 2 left and then we got another history teacher who knows nothing about civil rights or anything :s-smilie:

really?! thats very late, you didn't do a mock paper in Jan with them in or anything?

i thought the white school was 5 blocks away, but the black school was 20

thats what the text book says as well but i'm getting numbers like 7 instead of 20 on the internet :s-smilie:
Reply 14
nope, when we did a mock for history, we did an explain why and essay x 2 for unit 1 & unit 2, so things are all going good.

and i don't think it matters what you put - if theres different sources anywhere I doubt the exam board would pull you up for it

well if its any help, the key things to remember for sources are really just to argue both sides in the 12 markers (so why you agree and disagree) not just the one side, and for both the 12 and 24 ensure you quote every source in the question, as you can't get the top grades without evidence from both for the 12 marker or all 3 for the 24 marker!

yeah I was told that it doesn't matter, but surely then I could make any old stats up :laugh:
Reply 15
in the 12 markers - is your own knowledge required because one teacher told us that we didn't, we just needed to compare the sources and then one teacher told us we did! :/

yes! definitely! not loads and loads just precise detail that supports your argument in each paragraph :smile:
I find it really hard to get the contextual knowledge in on the source question 12 marker, I find it just never fits or comes out right... My teacher keeps on telling me to evaluate the sources using contextual knowledge but I dont really know how :s-smilie: any tips?!
Reply 17
Original post by M_E_Rosie
I find it really hard to get the contextual knowledge in on the source question 12 marker, I find it just never fits or comes out right... My teacher keeps on telling me to evaluate the sources using contextual knowledge but I dont really know how :s-smilie: any tips?!

what she means is just expand on what the source is saying using your own knowledge, so if the source talks about the impact of the Montgomery Bus Boycott for example, you could explain the details of the event such as when, why, who, etc etc
Yeah, we did that question too... I separated it out into The Main Reason, Short Term and Trigger..

MR- Malcolm was dissapointed with Muhammad's refusal to let him risk his life with others in Birmingham 1963 and that Muhammad was reluctant to take part in Malcolm's "The Hate that Hate Produced' documentary.

ST- basically Muhammad was jealous of Malcolm because he was such a gifted speaker and he was so much more popular than him.

Trigger- Malcolm was dissapointed upon hearing about Muhammad fathering 8 daughters with his 6 secretaries as the NOI preached how to be a good father and also Malcolm had made unpopular and derogatory comments about JFK's assassination in 1963 saying that the "chickens have come home to roost" and he was suspended for 90 days from preaching.

ooh i have a copy of that txtbook! (:
there was a question on a past exam that was like explain why malcom x left the nation of islam and i swear black power isnt really covered in that much detail?
i'm gonna do the old read the textbook the day before the exam and hope for the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending