The Student Room Group

Do you see drug dealing as immoral?

I personally don't see anything wrong with drug dealing. As long as it involves no deception I don't have a problem with it, whether it's weed or cocaine. If I was a drug dealer I'd feel no responsibility for the effects on the people buying it. They made their choice and I'd just be making money off of it. The only rule I'd have is to not sell to children.

Scroll to see replies

Nope. People need to accept some kind of personal responsibility, and stop blaming all their misfortunes on their environment. No one is forcing anyone to buy drugs
Soft-drugs: I would feel no compunction to feel bad.

However, I simply couldn't stand handing heroin addicts - pale-skin, glazed-eyes, malnourished - the opiate that has likely ruined their lives, and will equally cause their deaths. At that point, the person is beyond making their own decisions, and is merely a thrall to their addiction. Profiting from that: no thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sir Candour

However, I simply couldn't stand handing heroin addicts - pale-skin, glazed-eyes, malnourished - the opiate that has likely ruined their life, and will equally cause their deaths. At that point, the person is beyond making their own decisions, and is merely a thrall to their addiction. Profiting from that: no thank you.

I may feel a little guilty but ultimately I'd just accept that it's not my problem. I don't think many people would feel guilty selling cigarettes though.
not at all - if there is one person who wants something, and a person who wants to sell that thing in question, then what's wrong with that? assuming what they are buying/selling is actually what they think it is then that's absolutely fine. obviously I don't think that drugs should be illegal, so I have no issue with dealing other than perhaps the fact that it an be slightly dangerous depending on where you are, given the legal context.
Reply 5
Original post by zippity.doodah
not at all - if there is one person who wants something, and a person who wants to sell that thing in question, then what's wrong with that? assuming what they are buying/selling is actually what they think it is then that's absolutely fine. obviously I don't think that drugs should be illegal, so I have no issue with dealing other than perhaps the fact that it an be slightly dangerous depending on where you are, given the legal context.

What about if a known armed robber wanted to purchase guns from you?
Yes. Drugs seriously mess up some people's lives.
It's true that the addict only has themselves to fault for their addiction, but at the same time, what type of person feeds that addiction for personal gain? If someone cuts themselves, I sure as hell am not gonna be giving them the knife in order to keep doing so. Same deal with drug dealers imo
Original post by Protégé
I may feel a little guilty but ultimately I'd just accept that it's not my problem. I don't think many people would feel guilty selling cigarettes though.

An interesting comparison. Although, I'd feel that the difference in degree of heroin and nicotine addiction is so great as to allow me to feel guilt for one, and perhaps not for the other.

I suppose that nicotine addiction is a plague upon a rational mind, a stain on one's character, whilst heroin addiction is so nasty as to actually strip away the agency of the individual, leaving them with no discernible character what-so-ever.

Similar to how the insane are found not to blame for criminal behaviour, as they lack the understanding of reality necessary to give their actions intent; the difference being that I'd be the one creating and sustaining, profiting from, a druggie's decrepit state.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Protégé
What about if a known armed robber wanted to purchase guns from you?

objectively, my act of selling doesn't directly cause people to die, and subjectively, my actions make it more likely that people will die. objectively, I am not going to have any responsibility in and of my actions simply because they are going to kill with them, but subjectively, I want people to not die whether I am involved directly or indirectly, so I would choose not to sell them to this person simply because of the moral implications of how you have technically, though not directly, assisted a murderer.

my guess is that there is some link here with drug selling? if I sold drugs and I know people might overdose, is that moral/immoral? if they know that drugs can be dangerous, yet they still choose to buy them from me, that really is not my issue - people should be responsible for their own self-regarding acts; if I knew a person might die from me buying them a ski-diving ticket, it is only my job to give them what they want, not treat them like a child, whether they are irresponsible or not. one person being irresponsible is one person risking suicide, and suicide to me isnt immoral.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Sir Candour
An interesting comparison. Although, I'd feel that the difference in degree of heroin and nicotine addiction is so great as to allow me to feel guilt for one, and perhaps not for the other.

I suppose that nicotine addiction is a plague upon a rational mind, a stain on one's character, whilst heroin addiction is so nasty as to actually strip away the agency of the individual, leaving them with no discernible character what-so-ever.

Similar to how the insane are found not to blame for criminal behaviour, as they lack the understanding of reality necessary to give their actions intent; the difference being that I'd be the one creating and sustaining, profiting from, a druggie's decrepit state.

That is true. I wouldn't be proud of selling drugs but I don't think I'd blame myself too much either. Heroin obviously has a lot more of a serious effect on humans. Still, the insane don't exactly choose to be insane. I'd feel no sympathy for an addict unless that person was force fed drugs or something. They started doing it and most would know the consequences. Unless they were mentally deficient beforehand I wouldn't refrain from selling.

Original post by zippity.doodah
objectively, my act of selling doesn't directly cause people to die, and subjectively, my actions make it more likely that people will die. objectively, I am not going to have any responsibility in and of my actions simply because they are going to kill with them, but subjectively, I want people to not die whether I am involved directly or indirectly, so I would choose not to sell them to this person simply because of the moral implications of how you have technically, though not directly, assisted a murderer.

my guess is that there is some link here with drug selling? if I sold drugs and I know people might overdose, is that moral/immoral? if they know that drugs can be dangerous, yet they still choose to buy them from me, that really is not my issue - people should be responsible for their own self-regarding acts; if I knew a person might die from me buying them a ski-diving ticket, it is only my job to give them what they want, not treat them like a child, whether they are irresponsible or not. one person being irresponsible is one person risking suicide, and suicide to me isnt immoral.

I wouldn't sell because innocent people could die. If a druggie bought drugs and killed themselves with it I wouldn't consider it my problem. I would only consider it my problem if I knowingly sold something that would cause harm to innocent people.
Reply 11
Would you sell crack to a former addict who's been of it for 3 years
Reply 12
Original post by SSJ100
Would you sell crack to a former addict who's been of it for 3 years

Yes, sob stories don't change anything unless they were addicted because of reasons not in their own control.
Reply 13
If the user died from heroin misuse you wouldn't feel responsible at all?
Reply 14
Original post by SSJ100
If the user died from heroin misuse you wouldn't feel responsible at all?

No, not my problem.
What about those 9 people who get executed , the consequences are detrimental.
Reply 16
Original post by Protégé
No, not my problem.

To be fair you don't know how you'll react unless it's actually happened to you, at the end of the day I doubt you're some poorly brought up turned drug dealer unless you turn out to be Walter White
No, some people genuinely need to make money.
Original post by Protégé
No, not my problem.

Its people like you that make drug dealing immoral.
Original post by Protégé
That is true. I wouldn't be proud of selling drugs but I don't think I'd blame myself too much either. Heroin obviously has a lot more of a serious effect on humans. Still, the insane don't exactly choose to be insane. I'd feel no sympathy for an addict unless that person was force fed drugs or something. They started doing it and most would know the consequences. Unless they were mentally deficient beforehand I wouldn't refrain from selling.

True: most heroin addicts started with the agency to choose to take the drug. I'd personally take a route of compassion: understanding that people, in the depths of their darkest despairs, may, just once, try to escape their realities. Everyone has their method - games, smoking, drinking, meditating, music, forums - just some pick poorer than others. The problem being that 'only once' is all that these most pernicious intoxicants need.

Humans have an endless capacity to install happiness, warmth, wealth in the lives of those around them; equally though, that potential can be easily ruined by moments of madness. Especially if we never allow them the break to redeem, rebuild, themselves.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest