The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths retake

Hey,

When I was 12, I took my GCSE maths exam outside of school and achieved a grade A which I was pleased with.

Now i'm in year 11, I'm still resetting my GCSE maths with the same board (edexcel) but hoping to achieve an A*. Will this new grade count or will only my first grade be used?

Many thanks
Count for what?
If you get a better A* grade that will be the one that employers and sixth forms will look at.
If you get a worse grade then you still have the A
Note that for some things, e.g. Applying to university, you are expected to list all certified results so technically would have to put both grades down with their respective dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Count for what?
If you get a better A* grade that will be the one that employers and sixth forms will look at.
If you get a worse grade then you still have the A
Note that for some things, e.g. Applying to university, you are expected to list all certified results so technically would have to put both grades down with their respective dates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks, that's what I thought but a friend of mine said your first grade counts towards applying for A level, not the second one so I was confused.
Original post by Haskii
Ok thanks, that's what I thought but a friend of mine said your first grade counts towards applying for A level, not the second one so I was confused.

Schools can set any condition they like for admission to sixth form so you should check directly with them. I can't imagine they would ignore an A* gained this year because you got an A when you were still a baby :smile: they might be concerned though if your result this year is worse that way back when!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
how on Earth did you get an A @ the age of 12? :eek:
If you got an A at the age of 12, why didn't you start A level maths early?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
Schools can set any condition they like for admission to sixth form so you should check directly with them. I can't imagine they would ignore an A* gained this year because you got an A when you were still a baby :smile: they might be concerned though if your result this year is worse that way back when!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I hope I don't do worse 😓

Original post by Dudeyoufugly
how on Earth did you get an A @ the age of 12? :eek:

I was in year 8 and started doing gcse in year 7.. But I have always been good at maths!

Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
If you got an A at the age of 12, why didn't you start A level maths early?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did ask my school to allow me to resit my gcse maths in year 10 to get an A* but they kept making excuses so I had to leave it

Quick Reply

Latest