The Student Room Group

A Physicist, a Mathematician and an Engineer are stuck in a room with a Lie Detector

They are told that if they tell a truth to the Lie Detector, they will be let out of the room immediately and be given a large sum of money. If they tell a lie, they will be locked in the room forever, to perish.

The Physicist, impressed by the machine, goes first. "I think this is the most amazing invention ever!" he shouts. The Lie Detector immediately flashes green and lets out a loud 'Ding!' and the Physicist is allowed to leave the room.

The Mathematician goes next. Eager to satisfy a burning curiosity, he decides to take a risk. "I think the twin prime conjecture is true." He says. The Lie detector made a soft buzzing sound. The mathematician awaited its response anxiously, not because he was scared of being locked in the room, but because the twin prime conjecture being false would mean that all the results he deduced from assuming it was true would be invalid. After a brief wait, the Lie Detector flashes green, with a loud ding, and the Mathematician is let out.

The Engineer is last. He opens his mouth and says "I think..." and the door of the room slams shut as the Lie Detector turns red, spelling the doom of the Engineer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because Engineers are stupid right!!!!!

They don't think!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That was a great joke.
Original post by Xin Xang
Because Engineers are stupid right!!!!!

They don't think!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That was a great joke.

Semi-Original

Took a Blonde Joke and adapted it ;p
Reply 3
That was sooooooo funny that I actually forgot to laugh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was funny...
:hahaha: enginers

woot
Original post by the bear

woot

engineers*

Maybe only take the p*ss if you can spell correctly :wink:
Original post by lizard54142
engineers*

Maybe only take the p*ss if you can spell correctly :wink:

:hahaha: mr brmm brmm engine
Three logicians go into a bar.
The barman says "three pints is it fellas?"
The first logician says "I can't answer that"
The second logician says "I also cannot answer"
The third logician says

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by CancerousProblem
They are told that if they tell a truth to the Lie Detector, they will be let out of the room immediately and be given a large sum of money. If they tell a lie, they will be locked in the room forever, to perish.

The Physicist, amazed by the invention, goes first. "I think this is the most amazing invention ever!" he shouts. The Lie Detector immediately flashes green and lets out a loud 'Ding!' and the Physicist is allowed to leave the room.

The Mathematician goes next. Eager to satisfy a burning curiosity, he decides to take a risk. "I think the twin prime conjecture is true." He says. The Lie detector made a soft buzzing sound. The mathematician awaited its response anxiously, not because he was scared of being locked in the room, but because the twin prime conjecture being false would mean that all the results he deduced from assuming it was true would be invalid. After a brief wait, the Lie Detector flashes green, with a loud ding, and the Mathematician is let out.

The Engineer is last. He opens his mouth and says "I think..." and the door of the room slams shut as the Lie Detector turns red, spelling the doom of the Engineer.

If it wasn't for brilliant engineers you wouldn't have been able to type 'I think..' the worst joke in the world...no?
Why are you all so butthurt, it's a simple joke oh my god!
Original post by the bear

woot

Not being a stemmie, I didn't understand the joke, was it funny?

I wonder what sort of jokes engineers make about mathematicians?

I heard a good joke:

A mathematician, a cosmologist and a physicist were on a train going into Scotland. When they crossed the border, they saw a field with a sheep in it.

The cosmologist glanced briefly at the sheep, then turned to his colleagues and announced "throughout Scotland, there are nothing but fields, entirely covered with white sheep".

The physicist, after some thought, shook his head. "All we can say with certainty", he proclaimed, "is that in Scotland, there are fields and some may or may not contain sheep".

The mathematician snorted. "Fools!" he cried. "All we are confident about is that in Scotland there is at least one field containing no more than a single sheep. The side of it we could see was white."
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not being a stemmie, I didn't understand the joke, was it funny?

Have you watched The Big Band Theory?
Original post by Tiri
If it wasn't for brilliant engineers you wouldn't have been able to type 'I think..' the worst joke in the world...no?

Yh because engineering is hardly dependant on maths.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The Big Band Theory?

Glenn Miller's plane went into a wormhole?
so cheeky :giggle:

Original post by cambio wechsel

lol
Original post by cambio wechsel

:rofl:

I quite like Big Band actually. :teehee:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Have you watched The Big Band Theory?

You still have time to change the 'd' to a 'g' before everyone mocks your post. :giggle:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You still have time to change the 'd' to a 'g' before everyone mocks your post. :giggle:

Since as early as I can remember I get the following pairs of letters muddled up

'p' and 'b'

'd' and 'g'

and others I can't remember right now
It's like some mild disability :sad:

Anyway what I meant was that in the Big Bang Theory they all make fun of Howard for being an engineer as apposed to a scientist with a doctorate like everyone else. The OP is like a joke Sheldon Cooper would make.
Original post by CancerousProblem
The mathematician awaited its response anxiously, not because he was scared of being locked in the room, but because the twin prime conjecture being false would mean that all the results he deduced from assuming it was true would be invalid.

I found this bit amusing too.

The mathematician is a complete badass :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest