The Student Room Group

OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craig1998
I'm gonna take a chance and say it's unlikely. For the G541 paper, they have actually done that before and repeated the same 3 methods. They've never done this for the G542 paper, probably because it would be unfair due to the amount of content needed for the exam.

However, it still could happen, especially as the Behaviourist approach hasn't come up that many times.
For the 4 questions on Section C:
1) For this, it's just about remembering a sentence or two about the approach. If you remember keywords (e.g. Behaviourist as blank slate) then you should be alright to pick up at least 1 mark.
2) Look at the behaviour and consider what study falls into that behaviour (e.g. conservation is Samuel and Bryant), then outline a smaller assumption of the approach, talk about the behaviour in question (and link to approach) then link it to the study. Make sure for studies like Freud which fit into Psychodynamic and Developmental that you know which one is being asked for.
3) Just compare the studies in your head and look for things like: longitudinal/snapshot, ecological validity, quantitatie/qualitative data/both. Then answer in P.E.E. form.
4) Make sure you know generic strengths and weaknesses for things like practical applications and reductionist which appear in most of the mark schemes. Other than those I'm not sure but a couple appear on more than one so try and remember.

okay Thanks very much!
Doesn't anyone think that Maguire will come up in Section B, as it has only came up once before?
What about Quasi experiments for section B that hasn't come up before? For example they could use baron Cohen, Griffiths and Maguire?
have they repeated approaches/perspectives two years in a row before?
do you guys think its safe for me to not revise the cognitive approach or the behavioural perspective as they came up last year?
same for the studies in section B?
Original post by xambercx
What about Quasi experiments for section B that hasn't come up before? For example they could use baron Cohen, Griffiths and Maguire?

That seems likely aswell. Lab experiments hasn't come up in a while either (Samuel & Bryant, Bandura, Milgram (sort of) etc.).

I'm pretty confident at least one of Samuel & Bryant, Griffiths and Maguire is going to come up in Section B, so I'm making sure to revise them a bit more than others, specficially results and usefulness.
I tried to do some prediction myself, and seems they do have a system but its a really blurry one and I do not trust the exam creators one bit anyway, last years was Loftus, Baron and Sperry, and 5 years before that Loftus, Sperry and Samuel, and that creates the 15 studies coming up in between. So I'm thinking that a study from 4 years ago could come up? Not sure about that theory though. If any of the biological approach studies come up I think I might cry in my seat and drown, anything but them. Has anyones actual teachers done any predicting? Mine haven't. & Which approaches should I really be revising? I hate section C. I just really need a support group right now haha!
I think its very likely that laboratory could come up for section B eg.samuel and bryant,milgram and bandura
The best one for me in Section B would probably be Sperry. Mainly because the results are some of the easiest things imaginable and the explanation for the results is common sense if you just put it together in your head. The worst (and one I'm definitely not revising too much for) is definitely Savage-Rumbaugh. The results are just too much to remember and I can never remember what happened in the Blind Test or comparing Kanzi and Mulika with Austin and Sherman.

I'm quite glad actually because the worst possible situation for me came up last year. I don't know Dement and Kleitman too well, Reicher and Haslam is annoying and Thigpen and Cleckley isn't too nice with the results. I'm hoping for quasi and psychodynamic for Section B and C.
I'm pretty much praying that milgram, pilavin or Freud comes up because I know those studies inside out. Not great with results for many other studies, it feels impossible to learn all the content.
Original post by Yupbrickingit
I'm pretty much praying that milgram, pilavin or Freud comes up because I know those studies inside out. Not great with results for many other studies, it feels impossible to learn all the content.

I'm convinced that its impossible to learn all the content, I can only just remember 4 studies inside out, 15 is crazy, especially with approaches/perspectives aswell haha
Reply 30
How likely do people think it is that they'll repeat the format for section C again this year? i.e ask strengths/weaknesses of lab experiment etc? Or do you think they'll go back to the standard S/W of each approach?
Reply 31
Could it not be quasi experiments for Sec B if they haven't come up yet either?
Reply 32
Also does anyone think theres a possibility of a 12 marker on the social approach talking about strengths and weaknesses of ethics within that approach? My teacher seems to think there could be.
Reply 33
I don't how the hell I'm going to learn all 15 studies and the perspectives in 1 day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trachelm
whats the childrens fantasy in freud??

This may have been answere already but i wanna see if i know it.

Is this the fantasy where little hans marry's his mum. They have children and little Hanns' dad is promoted to grandfather?
The best one for me in Section B would probably be Sperry. Mainly because the results are some of the easiest things imaginable and the explanation for the results is common sense if you just put it together in your head. The worst (and one I'm definitely not revising too much for) is definitely Savage-Rumbaugh. The results are just too much to remember and I can never remember what happened in the Blind Test or comparing Kanzi and Mulika with Austin and Sherman.

I'm quite glad actually because the worst possible situation for me came up last year. I don't know Dement and Kleitman too well, Reicher and Haslam is annoying and Thigpen and Cleckley isn't too nice with the results. I'm hoping for quasi and psychodynamic for Section B and C.

Maguire is easy too! Certainly not savage and rumbaugh! Hate that study
I sat the May 2014 paper and Behaviourist/Cognitive was on Section C

So it's VERY unlikely Behaviourist will be on Section C
That seems likely aswell. Lab experiments hasn't come up in a while either (Samuel & Bryant, Bandura, Milgram (sort of) etc.).

I'm pretty confident at least one of Samuel & Bryant, Griffiths and Maguire is going to come up in Section B, so I'm making sure to revise them a bit more than others, specficially results and usefulness.

Our tutor predicted Case studies for Section B. And it will be a Reliability/Validity question
Original post by theperformer
I sat the May 2014 paper and Behaviourist/Cognitive was on Section C

So it's VERY unlikely Behaviourist will be on Section C

Apparently its likely to be developmental, social or psychodynamic?
Original post by LaurenceJ96
Apparently its likely to be developmental, social or psychodynamic?

yh i agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending