The Student Room Group

English literature and language AQA (food anthology) exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cookies12A
I chose John Agard Chocolate text and Nigella's transcripts.. hope they were good choices but I wish I could have done one more point for the unseen

I did these too, and quite a few of my friends did these or compared them to similar ones.

It was a resit for me after getting screwed by the transcript last year and choosing the wrong texts for Q2. Someone in year 12 read the question wrong and did butcher's Shop :s-smilie:

I thought it went fairly well and far better than last year. I was just annoyed at not mentioning Nigellas imperatives (to mimic a cook book and that) and that even though I said it was spontaeous, I didn't explicitly say at the start that it was still highly crafted. Ah well
Original post by Layleexx
Haha good!

It seemed okay. But if I got the purpose wrong I probably messed the whole thing up. How did you find it?

What did you put as the purpose? There were multiple purposes I think so if you even got one that shouldn't be a problem :smile: I thought it went okay, at the time I thought it was horrible, but looking back it went okay, just felt like I repeated myself...
Original post by Yates_96
What did you put as the purpose? There were multiple purposes I think so if you even got one that shouldn't be a problem :smile: I thought it went okay, at the time I thought it was horrible, but looking back it went okay, just felt like I repeated myself...

For Text A, I said the purpose was to entertain and Text B I said it was to entertain and inform. What did you write?

Hmm, as long as you pointed out different features, I think it should be okay.
For Text A, I said the purpose was to entertain and Text B I said it was to entertain and inform. What did you write?

Hmm, as long as you pointed out different features, I think it should be okay.

Text A I put to entertain, and text B I put to inform also... :smile: Yeah, what sort of thing did you point out? If you can remember?
Text A I put to entertain, and text B I put to inform also... :smile: Yeah, what sort of thing did you point out? If you can remember?

From what I remember, I wrote how they both used syndetic listing, simple sentences, and both use short paragraphs.

For text A, I pointed out the word "corpse" and developed on that. For text B, I talked about the memory of his grandma saying "num num" and expanded on that.

I think that might be all I wrote about, I don't remember.

What did you write?
From what I remember, I wrote how they both used syndetic listing, simple sentences, and both use short paragraphs.

For text A, I pointed out the word "corpse" and developed on that. For text B, I talked about the memory of his grandma saying "num num" and expanded on that.

I think that might be all I wrote about, I don't remember.

What did you write?

That's what I spoke about it pretty much, but Just spoke about prepositional phrases connoting more luxury, and also the grandma piece. I'm sure we did okay! :smile:
That's what I spoke about it pretty much, but Just spoke about prepositional phrases connoting more luxury, and also the grandma piece. I'm sure we did okay! :smile:

"Prepositional phrases"- this I how I know you smashed it! :wink:
Reply 27
I used Text 4-Grandpa's Soup and Text 30-Little Grey Rabbit for the anthology question! Seem to be the only person at my school not to use the Nigella Transcript though which is a bit worrying :/

Found the unseen difficult as wasn't really sure about purposes!
Reply 28
I found the anthology question alright, although timing has always been a problem for me. I did text 17 and 30, but the unseen was the worst for me, I completely blanked out.
Original post by RHobbs
I used Text 4-Grandpa's Soup and Text 30-Little Grey Rabbit for the anthology question! Seem to be the only person at my school not to use the Nigella Transcript though which is a bit worrying :/

Found the unseen difficult as wasn't really sure about purposes!

Yay you chose the exact same texts as me!
Reply 30
Yay you chose the exact same texts as me!

That's a relief that someone else thought they were a suitable choice!
Reply 31
Did anyone do the anthology question first?

I did and am a bit worried that my answer booklet will now not make sense as it isn't in chronological order!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RHobbs
Did anyone do the anthology question first?

I did and am a bit worried that my answer booklet will now not make sense as it isn't in chronological order!

As long as you wrote the right question number in the box beside it, it's fine.
Reply 33
As long as you wrote the right question number in the box beside it, it's fine.

Phew, yeah I'm sure I did! Thank goodness for that
Original post by Milly07
Hi, just wondering if anyone did the A-Level English Language and Literature ELLB1F
(Specification B) exam today and if so how did you find it?

Hey I did this exam, for my anthology questions I did grandpas soup and glory glory to be chocolate, I did a good four pages and a half but I feel like I didn't compare it very well:frown: I really need a B. The unseen was just awful, I did talk a lot about the language and how there was difference because of the generational difference etc but I think I've really screwed it up. I said that the purpose was something like entertainment and on from for one idek so worried
Original post by Milly07
That's fine haha, I probably should of mentioned that in the question. Hope your exams go well. :smile:

I took a risk and did Grandpa's Soup (enjoyable) and Eating Out (comparison of it not being enjoyable)...

Really hope the risk pays off haha
Original post by YoungChap
I took a risk and did Grandpa's Soup (enjoyable) and Eating Out (comparison of it not being enjoyable)...

Really hope the risk pays off haha

I did eating out originally but i read the question wrong, it was the preperation\eating being enjoyable, so eating out would be an irrelevant text as eating out is how she found eating out uncomfortable and not enjoyable so i tjink you may have done it wrong. I asked my teacher after my exam about whether i could have done eating out or not and she said no because it doesnt fit into the context of the question:-\ :-\ :-\
Original post by yamyam77
I did eating out originally but i read the question wrong, it was the preperation\eating being enjoyable, so eating out would be an irrelevant text as eating out is how she found eating out uncomfortable and not enjoyable so i tjink you may have done it wrong. I asked my teacher after my exam about whether i could have done eating out or not and she said no because it doesnt fit into the context of the question:-\ :-\ :-\

Yeah I thought this too. The only saving grace is that I related a lot of it to the actual food so hopefully it should gain me some marks as I related what I said to the question, even if the text wasn't entirely... Oh well, fingers crossed
Original post by YoungChap
Yeah I thought this too. The only saving grace is that I related a lot of it to the actual food so hopefully it should gain me some marks as I related what I said to the question, even if the text wasn't entirely... Oh well, fingers crossed

English is al about analysing and evaluating, so if you have sustained valid reason and included comparisons, the cant not reward you. Although you've done a slight error in m opinion you are still capable of getting a B grade. Baring in mind a B grade is generally only 53/94 so I hope you do well. Everyone makes mistakes under pressure and I hope your examiner is sympathetic and not some evil person who will completely fail you for just making a minor error:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending