The Student Room Group

Hey White boys and boys in general

So I'm east african and love my racial identity as much as the next. But I often feel like I'm made to feel like I'm exotic in the eyes of Guys. British caucasians and others as well. I often get told I don't look black and why do you look different which makes me uncomfortable. They ask why my hair and facial features differ and all this really weird stuff they would never ask a girl who would be Caucasian. Anyway there was this guys who was really cool right and he is very intelligent and he asked me out which went well. A few weeks later we saw a few friends of his who we're in agreement that I wasn't really black black and that maybe I was mixed. what bothers me is that this always happens to me in some shape or form. It's like my identity is always put in to question due to my Appearance. But I should remind you that Africa is continent and NOT EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME. My deal is do I make them feel comfortable about dating outside their race , my friend told me she thinks it's because I'm a more acceptable black. Which is bull**** if you ask me . So yh what's you guys deal?
(edited 8 years ago)
What's the question? It's just observation, I don't think you should take it that personal.
Original post by Fayaara
So I'm east african and love my racial identity as much as the next. But I often feel like I'm made to feel like I'm exotic in the eyes of Guys. British caucasians and others as well. I often get told I don't look black and why do you look different which makes me uncomfortable. They ask why my hair and facial features differ and all this really weird stuff they would never ask a girl who would be Caucasian. Anyway there was this guys who was really cool right and he is very intelligent and he asked me out which went well. A few weeks later we saw a few friends of his who we're in agreement that I wasn't really black black and that maybe I was mixed. what bothers me is that this always happens to me in some shape or form. It's like my identity is always put in to question due to my Appearance. But I should remind you that Africa is continent and NOT EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME. My deal is do I make them feel comfortable about dating outside their race , my friend told me she thinks it's because I'm a more acceptable black. Which is bull**** if you ask me . So yh what's you guys deal?

Where in East Africa are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm a Eastern European girl and I'm often told that I don't look like a Eastern European girl, but ofc I do because that's where I'm from! And they just believe their stereotypes.

Please don't get upset about it it's just plain ignorance, lack of experience and knowledge about other parts of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a bit ridiculous if they disagree, do they think they know your identity better than you or something? If they get confused just make it very clear to them that not all africans are "proper black".
Reply 5
Original post by brokenlevel23
Sigh.

Embrace your differences. Very little people hit the genetic jackpot and are born with uniquely attractive features. When I find someone physically attractive, I simply find them physically attractive. I don't think about their ethnicity or gene pool or anything to do with 'race'. Granted, people sometimes have preferences - I have a friend who's very attracted to South Asian features - but there's enough attractive people from every background to render that moot.

People who think it's unacceptable to date someone who they find attractive just because of their 'race' are idiots and not worth dating anyway.

I know right it's a deffo roll your eyes moment.
Reply 6
I am a white girl I just wanted to tell you I know exactly what you're talking about, my friends get this all the time. People don't realise they're being offensive cos they don't realise calling them exotic is another way of making them the other, basically saying you're different but it's ok cos it's aesthetically acceptable. Because they don't have bad intentions they don't even consider it offensive.
Original post by gabzy
I'm a Eastern European girl and I'm often told that I don't look like a Eastern European girl, but ofc I do because that's where I'm from! And they just believe their stereotypes.

Please don't get upset about it it's just plain ignorance, lack of experience and knowledge about other parts of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where in eastern europe are you from?

And yes, I get the same remarks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
The word exotic is pretty much demeaning and insulting, reducing them to a mere object that is different from the norm tbh.
tell him hes an ignorant **** and that africans differ in terms of looks urgh tell your friend shes ignorant urgh are you somali or eri
Upload a photo? I think looking mixed race is definitely a compliment in some ways, mixed race girls are super hot. So i guess be happy they think you look like one:smile:
Original post by Fayaara

Err what is the question?
Reply 12
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Where in eastern europe are you from?

And yes, I get the same remarks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lithuania :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. Where do you plan to go to Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I see. Where do you plan to go to Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing art foundation next year and then hopefully art college in plymouth or UAL, depends :smile:
Original post by gabzy
I'm doing art foundation next year and then hopefully art college in plymouth or UAL, depends :smile:

Nice! I wish you all the best then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Nice! I wish you all the best then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! :smile: x
Reply 17
Original post by paul514
Err what is the question?

What's you guys deal ? Is my question as in expand as to why some or if you behave this way.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Upload a photo? I think looking mixed race is definitely a compliment in some ways, mixed race girls are super hot. So i guess be happy they think you look like one:smile:

I see what you mean but since when did being something other than what you are be a compliment. Am I supposed to be happy I look mixed despite the fact Ive made it clear I'm not. What's wrong with being black and looking a little unconventional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending