The Student Room Group

London Academy of Excellence 2015 Applicants.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Good luck!
Reply 81
Just remember guys, these are just conditional and what you get in Aug will determine whether you come LAE or not.

Last year they were more lenient and allowed some people to come with below the minimum requirement of 5 As but this year with over 1500 applications, I highly doubt it will happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, hopefully I get above that and can you just remind us who you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Why do they give out so many conditional offers, and have even made a late application thing, if they're not going to let in that many students anyway?
Original post by whaaaaat
Why do they give out so many conditional offers, and have even made a late application thing, if they're not going to let in that many students anyway?

More students applying = Higher amount of excellent students = Higher A-level results! :biggrin:
Reply 85
I am a current year 12 student at LAE
Original post by Altab
I am a current year 12 student at LAE

Hi, which subjects do you study and how is the teaching at LAE?
Reply 87
Lae have unqualified teachers and they aren't established. Seven Kings is better. They have similar grades and if you think about it LAE have many more smarter pupils than Seven Kings!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Hi, which subjects do you study and how is the teaching at LAE?

I study Maths Physics Chemistry and Geography. I think the teachers are good, well mine are. Tbh A level is all about being independent regardless of which sixth form.
Reply 89
In my opinion it's a very independent in the sense that you're expected to do a lot of work yourself l. You're not spoon fed but it's supportive in the sense that there are regular checks to make sure you're on track, they will chase up your homework or 'prep' as well call it. They will be checking you're progressing adequately and you're revising and completing any outside learning that you're supposed to. I think across the school departments you get a different experience but mostly the teachers are very very good and mostly experienced. I have yet to come across a bad teacher, there are obviously some teachers that have their problems but none that are outright bad. You won't find major disruptions in your classes that'll hinder your learning. The buildings quite small and you'll find that unless it's a lab, the classrooms are rarely locked so during break you can hang out in there. We have a lunch hall but that tends to get packed so most people just hang out in the classrooms. It's very safe, people leave their things about and I haven't heard of theft so far. In fact my friend left her phone in the toilet the other day and went back 30 minutes later to it still there. The assessment day is very relaxed and an opportunity to find out more about LAE. The assessment itself doesn't have a LARGE impact on your application but it has some, overall don't be too worried about it it's kinda like a verbal reasoning test. The interview is very relaxed as well teachers give you helpful prompts and generally just ask you about yourself it's not daunting whatsoever. Hope this was helpful

From my last year's LAE thread
Reply 90
Original post by Altab
In my opinion it's a very independent in the sense that you're expected to do a lot of work yourself l. You're not spoon fed but it's supportive in the sense that there are regular checks to make sure you're on track, they will chase up your homework or 'prep' as well call it. They will be checking you're progressing adequately and you're revising and completing any outside learning that you're supposed to. I think across the school departments you get a different experience but mostly the teachers are very very good and mostly experienced. I have yet to come across a bad teacher, there are obviously some teachers that have their problems but none that are outright bad. You won't find major disruptions in your classes that'll hinder your learning. The buildings quite small and you'll find that unless it's a lab, the classrooms are rarely locked so during break you can hang out in there. We have a lunch hall but that tends to get packed so most people just hang out in the classrooms. It's very safe, people leave their things about and I haven't heard of theft so far. In fact my friend left her phone in the toilet the other day and went back 30 minutes later to it still there. The assessment day is very relaxed and an opportunity to find out more about LAE. The assessment itself doesn't have a LARGE impact on your application but it has some, overall don't be too worried about it it's kinda like a verbal reasoning test. The interview is very relaxed as well teachers give you helpful prompts and generally just ask you about yourself it's not daunting whatsoever. Hope this was helpful

From my last year's LAE thread

How do you cope with no playground?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by irfan_blue
How do you cope with no playground?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LMAO Is that even a serious question?! LOL Sixth form aint for kids, why do you think people wear suits at sixth form? There is no need for playgrounds when you have A levels, but we have sports every week where venues are booked by LAE. There are different sports eg swimming, football, netball,rowing etc
Reply 92
Original post by Altab
LMAO Is that even a serious question?! LOL Sixth form aint for kids, why do you think people wear suits at sixth form? There is no need for playgrounds when you have A levels, but we have sports every week where venues are booked by LAE. There are different sports eg swimming, football, netball,rowing etc

Lolol no I know what you mean but i just mean a place to hang out? Like you still want space with your friends it sounds inconvenient! Besides think I'm going Seven Kings anyway it's much more established than LAE is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Altab

Would you recommend it? Do you feel many are 'snobbish' there? When does a typicals school day start and finish?
I went last year
Nothing to worry about
Really boring anyway
I can't believe they're still doing the dragons den thing, such a waste of an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you recommend it? Do you feel many are 'snobbish' there? When does a typicals school day start and finish?

I heard seven kings is amazingly snobbish; you don't realise it unless you're an outsider (coming from another secondary school)
Brampton's snobbish too

Source: experience and friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I heard seven kings is amazingly snobbish; you don't realise it unless you're an outsider (coming from another secondary school)
Brampton's snobbish too

Source: experience and friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I guess so :biggrin: Do you know about LAE though?
I went LAE for an interview - Didnt like it - Seven Kings is better
Reply 98
Original post by Deal with it
I went LAE for an interview - Didnt like it - Seven Kings is better

Nah I had a good perception of LAE. It's just that it's new and it's a free school and it ain't particularly established. Where you going anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I guess so :biggrin: Do you know about LAE though?

Yeah
A lot of my friends either said: it's really good because it's very focused and they have smaller classrooms but most of them left the school because they prepare you up for the hardest exam boards for every subject (I'm not sure if they're still doing this) and also, the environment is friendly (so I've heard)
I can't really judge simply because I haven't experienced any of this, but this is what I got from it.
If you do want to study at a 'good' sixth form in newham, this is probably a better choice than seven kings, Newvic and chobham.

I don't think it's snobbish but the teachers are coz most are from Oxford and Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest