The Student Room Group

structure of a levels

Hi there guys , I have questions regarding A-levels. I am thinking of taking A-levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I am a foreigner so I don't know a lot. I've heard A-levels in Biology are made up of 5 separate exams, is that right? My question is, when do you take those exams? Are they taken separately, like one in November, one in December, one in April, etc. or in one month, like all of the exams are taken in May? Like the first one is on 1st May, second on on 3rd May, third one on 6th of May, etc.? And what about Chemistry and Maths? Is this the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by karzen
Hi there guys , I have questions regarding A-levels. I am thinking of taking A-levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I am a foreigner so I don't know a lot. I've heard A-levels in Biology are made up of 5 separate exams, is that right? My question is, when do you take those exams? Are they taken separately, like one in November, one in December, one in April, etc. or in one month, like all of the exams are taken in May? Like the first one is on 1st May, second on on 3rd May, third one on 6th of May, etc.? And what about Chemistry and Maths? Is this the same?

Most A levels in the UK are on the point of changing, though I don't know what's happening to CIE A levels which are available abroad. In future, Biology and Chemistry A levels will be examined by exams which all have to be taken at the end of the (generally 2 year) course. Maths isn't changing yet and is still examined by 6, 1.5hour exams that can be taken in the summers during the course. Individual units can be re-taken with the better atempt counting. Edexcel International versions of Maths also offer January exams.
No. All exams in the UK are now liner, meaning that they will all be taken in may/june. As for the number of modules it depends on the exam board. The examining boards are the organisations that make the specifications (curriculum) and exams for GCSEs and A-Levels. Each exam board has a different way of delivering the subject so you will have to look for that subject on the exam boards website. The three main exam boards are AQA, Edexcel and OCR. But for the time you take those exams you will take then at the end of the year in may/june time. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Most A levels in the UK are on the point of changing, though I don't know what's happening to CIE A levels which are available abroad. In future, Biology and Chemistry A levels will be examined by exams which all have to be taken at the end of the (generally 2 year) course. Maths isn't changing yet and is still examined by 6, 1.5hour exams that can be taken in the summers during the course. Individual units can be re-taken with the better atempt counting. Edexcel International versions of Maths also offer January exams.

Thanks a lot! But those exams are separate exams, right? It's not like you have one exam and all the info from all the modules is just put in one paper?
Original post by karzen
Thanks a lot! But those exams are separate exams, right? It's not like you have one exam and all the info from all the modules is just put in one paper?

There will be an exam for each module/unit.
Reply 5
Original post by LuiEmmitt
No. All exams in the UK are now liner, meaning that they will all be taken in may/june. As for the number of modules it depends on the exam board. The examining boards are the organisations that make the specifications (curriculum) and exams for GCSEs and A-Levels. Each exam board has a different way of delivering the subject so you will have to look for that subject on the exam boards website. The three main exam boards are AQA, Edexcel and OCR. But for the time you take those exams you will take then at the end of the year in may/june time. Hope this helped :smile:

It has, thanks! :smile: I am actually thinking of doing an intensive course so I'll probably be taking them in 2016. Will it still be the same as it is now or it's changing from 2016?
Reply 6
There will be an exam for each module/unit.

I see! So there is one exam for each unit/module, yes? And all of the exams are taken in May/June?
Original post by karzen
I see! So there is one exam for each unit/module, yes? And all of the exams are taken in May/June?

Yes. So if you have 4 modules you should take 4 exams in may/june. One module may be a practical exam for sciences so that may be taken earlier. If you are able to find out the exam board it would help as well :smile:
Reply 8
Yes. So if you have 4 modules you should take 4 exams in may/june. One module may be a practical exam for sciences so that may be taken earlier. If you are able to find out the exam board it would help as well :smile:

Thank you so so much, now I understand everything :smile:. Maths is Edexel, Chemistry is OCR and Biology is AQA, now I finally know what those letters mean! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by karzen
Thank you so so much, now I understand everything :smile:. Maths is Edexel, Chemistry is OCR and Biology is AQA, now I finally know what those letters mean! :smile:

If your starting in September, here are the websites with the specifications of those subjects:

AQA Biology - http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402

OCR Chemistry - http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h032-h432-from-2015/

Edexcel Mathematics - http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.html
Reply 10

One last question- can any of the subjects be taken by any examination board? I thought Biology was AQA and now I've found Biology at Edexel? :confused:
Original post by karzen
One last question- can any of the subjects be taken by any examination board? I thought Biology was AQA and now I've found Biology at Edexel? :confused:

Yes. Each exam board develops there own specification of the subject. Then your school and the department of that subject will decide on which exam by which exam board to take e.g. the chemistry department in your school has decided to choose OCR for chemistry. In my school we Do AQA for chemistry and OCR for mathematics. In another school, they may do AQA Mathematics. Its up to the chemisty/biology/maths, department in your school to decide which exam board they like best :smile:
Reply 12
Yes. Each exam board develops there own specification of the subject. Then your school and the department of that subject will decide on which exam by which exam board to take e.g. the chemistry department in your school has decided to choose OCR for chemistry. In my school we Do AQA for chemistry and OCR for mathematics. In another school, they may do AQA Mathematics. Its up to the chemisty/biology/maths, department in your school to decide which exam board they like best :smile:

Thanks a lot! But are there any differences between the exam boards? Like, is OCR for Maths harder than AQA for Maths, etc.? :smile:
Original post by karzen
Thanks a lot! But are there any differences between the exam boards? Like, is OCR for Maths harder than AQA for Maths, etc.? :smile:

The subjects might differ in content slightly and the exams might be layed out differently e.g. OCR don't have a coursework for A-Level science but AQA do. Minor differences but you get the same qualifications with all three. Also, the exam boards won't do exactly the same subjects e.g. only AQA does A-Level philosophy and OCR and Edexcel doesn't.
Reply 14
The subjects might differ in content slightly and the exams might be layed out differently e.g. OCR don't have a coursework for A-Level science but AQA do. Minor differences but you get the same qualifications with all three. Also, the exam boards won't do exactly the same subjects e.g. only AQA does A-Level philosophy and OCR and Edexcel doesn't.

Thank you! You've helped me greatly :smile:.
Original post by karzen
It has, thanks! :smile: I am actually thinking of doing an intensive course so I'll probably be taking them in 2016. Will it still be the same as it is now or it's changing from 2016?

If you are taking A levels in 2016 then it will be by the current system. There will be 6 units for each A level. For Maths that's 6 different exams, for Biology and Chemistry it is 4 exams and 2 practical units.
(edited 8 years ago)
No. All exams in the UK are now liner,

Not all subjects become linear next year - the new Maths specs won't start to be taught before September 2017.

As for the number of modules it depends on the exam board.

Actually it's fixed by OFQUAL and they are all the same.
Original post by Compost
Not all subjects become linear next year - the new Maths specs won't start to be taught before September 2017.

Actually it's fixed by OFQUAL and they are all the same.

The New Qualifications will be Linear but the current ones are already linear... thats not the reason there changing.
The New Qualifications will be Linear but the current ones are already linear... thats not the reason there changing.

Current A levels are modular - each unit stands in its own right and can be taken individually.
Reply 19
Original post by Compost
If you are taking A levels in 2016 then it will be by the current system. There will be 6 units for each A level. For Maths that's 6 different exams, for Biology and Chemistry it is 4 exams and 2 practical units.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if there are any fees for A-levels? I am thinking of doing a distance learning course so that will be around £370 but do you have to pay for each exam itself? If so, then how much are the fees?

Also, can I take A-levels in Polish if I am Polish?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest