The Student Room Group

A -Level Choices?

Hi, I'm really confused on choosing my a- levels. I definitely want to do Mathematics, Chemistry and History but am confused between physics and biology. Can someone please help and give your view on the subjects. I don't know what I want to do in the future yet...
Original post by JassyC
Hi, I'm really confused on choosing my a- levels. I definitely want to do Mathematics, Chemistry and History but am confused between physics and biology. Can someone please help and give your view on the subjects. I don't know what I want to do in the future yet...

I would recommend further maths, you seem to be leaning towards the science side of things in which further maths would be undoubtedly your most useful A level (unless you are thinking medicine/chemistry). If you are picking between just those 2, physics is more useful, medicine requires chemistry but not physics, biology at university requires chemistry but not biology. Physics keeps options open such as engineering, physics etc. In the end just pick the one you will enjoy studying more.
Reply 2
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I would recommend further maths, you seem to be leaning towards the science side of things in which further maths would be undoubtedly your most useful A level (unless you are thinking medicine/chemistry). If you are picking between just those 2, physics is more useful, medicine requires chemistry but not physics, biology at university requires chemistry but not biology. Physics keeps options open such as engineering, physics etc. In the end just pick the one you will enjoy studying more.

Thanks, I was initially thinking of choosing further maths but am a bit reluctant to because most people find it extremely difficult. If you do the subject what's it like?
Original post by JassyC
Thanks, I was initially thinking of choosing further maths but am a bit reluctant to because most people find it extremely difficult. If you do the subject what's it like?

It is fine, many people like to perpetuate the myth that it is hard but in reality AS FM is not that much more challenging that AS M, it just has new (and very interesting) topics you learn about. A2 FM is a bit harder but again all it is is more concepts that when you go to uni you would cover in a couple weeks, being fluent in them before then will give you a great advantage. Do not let people telling a subject is hard put you off doing it.
Original post by JassyC

wow i do maths chemistry and history too, quite a rare combo. i do english lit as well and i regret not doing further maths.
if you find maths eaasy do further maths, you need the challenge.according to what iv heard, bio is a lot to learn, and the mark scheme is specific, but it is easy and the grade boundaries are low. with physics, it is definitely hard, but everyone finds it interesting, if you are doing a Mechanics module (M1) in maths i reckon it would go well with physics, whilst the stats module (s1) goes well with every other subject, but can also help with physics coursework analysis
Reply 5
Yep, I think I will do FM because, I genuinely do find maths very interesting. At the moment, I'm doing additional maths alongside GCSE and I am enjoying it- surprisingly I don't find it too difficult compared to the rest of my class. Thanks
Original post by JassyC
Yep, I think I will do FM because, I genuinely do find maths very interesting. At the moment, I'm doing additional maths alongside GCSE and I am enjoying it- surprisingly I don't find it too difficult compared to the rest of my class. Thanks

Personally, I would do physics. There is a genuine need for people with STEM subjects and if you have maths, chemistry and physics, you will be set for life. Physics at A-Level have been dropping in numbers and its vital to keep doors open. Russell group did a report on it a few years back.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/uploads/STEM-briefing.pdf
Original post by JassyC

physics and maths link so maybe physics
Original post by wojiaoshakira
physics and maths link so maybe physics

Yes
Reply 9
I understand what you mean but I enjoy maths and physics so it`s hard to choose. I`ll probably make my mind up on sixth form taster day. And yes maths, physicsm chemistry and history is good combination

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
if you plan to do m1 in maths you might as well do physics as well, as a quarter of the physics syllabus is just m1. you're basically getting taught it all twice which makes it way easier and worth doing.
Reply 11
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I`ve heard. If I take physics I will definately take M1. Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by LuiEmmitt
Personally, I would do physics. There is a genuine need for people with STEM subjects and if you have maths, chemistry and physics, you will be set for life. Physics at A-Level have been dropping in numbers and its vital to keep doors open. Russell group did a report on it a few years back.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/uploads/STEM-briefing.pdf

Yes, physics does open a lot of doors. Thanks for the link

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JassyC
Yes, physics does open a lot of doors. Thanks for the link

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont forget further maths :frown:, much much much more valued than physics, though if you do FM physics is a joke A level to do with it in terms of how easy FM makes physics.
Reply 14
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Dont forget further maths :frown:, much much much more valued than physics, though if you do FM physics is a joke A level to do with it in terms of how easy FM makes physics.

Haha, no I won't forget about further maths. To be honest, I might just pick both: Maths, FM,Physics and Chemistry:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JassyC

I don't personally do it, but I know people who do, and it certainly isn't easy; everyone who takes it at my school got an A* at GCSE (don't do it with less than an A*), and they've struggled a bit. Don't be put off from doing it, as it's a highly respected A level, but don't expect it to be easy, and don't do it without an A* in GCSE Maths.
Reply 16
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I don't personally do it, but I know people who do, and it certainly isn't easy; everyone who takes it at my school got an A* at GCSE (don't do it with less than an A*), and they've struggled a bit. Don't be put off from doing it, as it's a highly respected A level, but don't expect it to be easy, and don't do it without an A* in GCSE Maths.

Yes, I know it's undoubtedly hard and I will probably find it difficult without an A* but again I know people who got straight A*'s in GCSE Maths, but struggled with A-level/FM and vice versa. Personally, it's about the motivation and determination rather than grades. I do genuinely enjoy maths so that should help... But having said that, some people have started hating maths after FM. Thanks for the advice though

Quick Reply

Latest