The Student Room Group

Female British Muslim AMA

Scroll to see replies

Hi my Muslim sister, i live in America Texas and experience a lot of discrimination for the hijab. My parents are Americans are not foreigners but are just converts to Islam. In school im called the terrorist its what narrow minded people would say. im starting to hate my home town actually detest it, i just want some advise from another fellow sister
Reply 121
Original post by Strangerdanger
If someone starts their Islamophobic arguments infront of you, would you argue back trying to explain the real Islam to them or would you rather ignore them?

(Asking for personal knowledge lol)

Sometimes I argue back but I think that sometimes you need to leave the ignorant be.
Reply 122
biryani ????????

I actually don't like biryani. One of the few foods I dislike :/
Reply 123
Original post by honeyali
Hi my Muslim sister, i live in America Texas and experience a lot of discrimination for the hijab. My parents are Americans are not foreigners but are just converts to Islam. In school im called the terrorist its what narrow minded people would say. im starting to hate my home town actually detest it, i just want some advise from another fellow sister

I think you just need to ignore it. If it gets any worse and any physical abuse comes into play then that's when you need to take action. For the time being I would leave it because (I'm hoping) that you're under 18 because that would explain the stupidity of the peoples comments. If you want to talk more you can always pm me :smile:

Also on a complete other note: My uncle lives in Texas haha :smile:
What are you studying atm?
Original post by ThatGurl
I actually don't like biryani. One of the few foods I dislike :/

Just skipped a heartbeat...

Aww... That must suck :/
Are there any muslim communities in your area ? Any muslim schools?
Haha

That is the toughest question EVER. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE FOOD. I can't give you one food so heres the top 10: (not in any specific order) 1. Burgersss 2. Pizza 3. CHIPS 4. Pakoras 5. CURRRYYYYYY 6. Garlic bread 7. Kebabs 8. Fajitas 9. Pasta 10. Battered fish

As you could tell. FOOD IS LYFEEE

foooooooood! :yum: now im hungry! :colonhash:

I want pizzzzzzzzzza :coma:
Reply 128
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
What are you studying atm?

I'm doing my GCSEs so I should be revising but anyways i'm studying Geography, History, Biology and French and all of the compulsory subjects
Reply 129
Just skipped a heartbeat...

haha sorry
Reply 130
Original post by cupcakes87
foooooooood! :yum: now im hungry! :colonhash:

I want pizzzzzzzzzza :coma:

hahah i got some crisps
I think people hold the view that islam and feminism are incompatible because they focus on the few areas in the qur'an where it states that men are 'superior' to women. They completely disregard the fact that in Islam men and women are equal but have different roles.

Classic sexist defence. If they are equal they should be able to choose, not forced into a role.
Reply 132
Original post by Tabstercat
Classic sexist defence. If they are equal they should be able to choose, not forced into a role.

They're not forced into a role, the role is there for them to have. A man's role is to go out and earn the money however women are also allowed to do so.
Hi my Muslim sister, i live in America Texas and experience a lot of discrimination for the hijab. My parents are Americans are not foreigners but are just converts to Islam. In school im called the terrorist its what narrow minded people would say. im starting to hate my home town actually detest it, i just want some advise from another fellow sister[/Q

I used to live in Texas like you but i was a foreigner Arab actually. I did experience a lot of discrimination like wise at school and at the street, it was living hell to be honest. We then moved but do not resolve the problem that way if i was brave enough to do this i would have ignored them but that's being hypocrite so i wish you the best ..
my Muslim sister
What career do you want

Or do you want to be a housewife :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're not forced into a role, the role is there for them to have. A man's role is to go out and earn the money however women are also allowed to do so.

Kind of forcing them into a role when you say it's the "man's role" to go and earn the money? And anything other than that is lesser, right?
Are you going to the mela tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by husband material
What career do you want

Or do you want to be a housewife :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're back again haha

I want to be a criminal lawyer
Reply 138
Original post by Tabstercat
Kind of forcing them into a role when you say it's the "man's role" to go and earn the money? And anything other than that is lesser, right?

Not really, I think you need to look up what role actually means. It's something you CAN do not something you HAVE to do.
Reply 139
Original post by husband material
Are you going to the mela tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a mela? Where? Probably not though, got exams on monday and then I'm meant to be going to a mehndi after the exam haha

Quick Reply

Latest