The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Should be right angle at L2. You can work this out differentiation or completing the square which would work all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you use differentiation or completing the square, I am curious.

EDIT: I realize how you would use differentiation, I think I might use it in the real exam (if it turns up)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by randlemcmurphy

EDIT: I realize how you would use differentiation, I think I might use it in the real exam (if it turns up)

Yes I will use it too if it comes up which it definately can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee

On an unrelated note, your handwriting is very nice.

Yes I will use it too if it comes up which it definately can!

Posted from TSR Mobile

please explain how you would use differentiation or completing the square? thank you
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
please explain how you would use differentiation or completing the square? thank you

I need cerlohee to attach the question but in most simple cases it is possible, in some cases it is not.

This is true
I need cerlohee to attach the question but in most simple cases it is possible, in some cases it is not.

C4 June 2011 Question 6 I believe.
C4 June 2011 Question 6 I believe.

Yes this questions can be done using calculus. I am just doing some other work and I will do it shortly and post it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes this questions can be done using calculus. I am just doing some other work and I will do it shortly and post it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

top i'll be waiting :biggrin:

Gna be a while as Im stuck doing STEP :/. Definately today though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
for integration by parts whats the rule for determining what u and v equal to?
Original post by TopPhysio

i was taught that u let u equal the more easier of the 2 , that you have, but im pretty sure it doesnt matter either way, you'll get the same answer.
Original post by TopPhysio

You always let the simplest term eg. x, (x-1) or x^2 be equal to u whilst dv/du is the more complicated one eg e^x or sinx.
The exception is lnx, which is ALWAYS u.

How??? Is it something to do with the product of gradients being -1 for perpendicular lines?? Otherwise I'm at a loss...

It's strange everyone that I've ever met in real life has told me how gross my handwriting is lol but whenever I post it on the internet people compliment it!
You always let the simplest term eg. x, (x-1) or x^2 be equal to u whilst dv/du is the more complicated one eg e^x or sinx.

How??? Is it something to do with the product of gradients being -1 for perpendicular lines?? Otherwise I'm at a loss...

It's strange everyone that I've ever met in real life has told me how gross my handwriting is lol but whenever I post it on the internet people compliment it!

I think it's time I do it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See post above

Posted from TSR Mobile

See post above

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by STATER
If you don't have one already. Grab a fx-991 ES plus to check differentiation/integration answers quickly.
Stuff like binomial can be checked easily by subbing a value into the result.
The main thing for me was to find the most efficient way of checking answers - takes all kinds of pressure off you.

How do you check it against the calculator and how will subbing a value into the result check if Binomial is correct?
Original post by LukeTownsend123
How do you check it against the calculator and how will subbing a value into the result check if Binomial is correct?

You have a button which works out a definite integral (area under a curve) once you chose the limits, it always works out the value of dy/dx for a certain value of x. For binomial expansion you can put a value of x into the expansion given then compare the answer to the same value of x in your expansion, if they are similar it would suggest you have expanded correctly.

Thanks!! Your handwritings rly difficult to read haha. What does it say after "differentiate to"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending