The Student Room Group

Do I have friends?

Over the past year or so, I have become distant from people who I was close too. I have made closer friendships with classmates but I feel that they don't want to be close with me out of school. I don't know why I just feel that because they already have their friendship group I'm not wanted. I have a group of friends who I hang out with it, but they all hate me.

I am one of the smartest in my year (without being cocky), but I have anxiety and a lack of confidence. Every exam I have taken I think I have done awful in, even if I get an amazing grade to be proud of after... No matter how hard I try I can't stop my anxiety. Whenever I worry, I get accused of attention seeking. Everyone tells me to 'shut up' or 'we don't care' or ignore me. Even the teachers don't take my anxiety or worry seriously...

One girl in this friendship group has always been 'there for me' but she never makes effort with me. She never has money when I ask her to go to the cinema but the next week has enough money to to on a shopping spree? I make an effort with her, I've been there for her in her darkest position yet she can't give me the time of day for anything? It hurts...

I am in despair. I am lonely, even though I have learned to enjoy my own company it still hurts... Maybe it's me? Maybe I'm the one who should change? Exam stress on top of it all has left me feeling even more awful... Help?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Over the past year or so, I have become distant from people who I was close too. I have made closer friendships with classmates but I feel that they don't want to be close with me out of school. I don't know why I just feel that because they already have their friendship group I'm not wanted. I have a group of friends who I hang out with it, but they all hate me.

I am one of the smartest in my year (without being cocky), but I have anxiety and a lack of confidence. Every exam I have taken I think I have done awful in, even if I get an amazing grade to be proud of after... No matter how hard I try I can't stop my anxiety. Whenever I worry, I get accused of attention seeking. Everyone tells me to 'shut up' or 'we don't care' or ignore me. Even the teachers don't take my anxiety or worry seriously...

One girl in this friendship group has always been 'there for me' but she never makes effort with me. She never has money when I ask her to go to the cinema but the next week has enough money to to on a shopping spree? I make an effort with her, I've been there for her in her darkest position yet she can't give me the time of day for anything? It hurts...

I am in despair. I am lonely, even though I have learned to enjoy my own company it still hurts... Maybe it's me? Maybe I'm the one who should change? Exam stress on top of it all has left me feeling even more awful... Help?

It sounds like you're worrying too much. If your friends hated you, believe me they would not tolerate you. If they were too polite, theyd cause an argument to get rid but seeing as they haven't, im guessing they want you around.
Maybe this girl that you have made an effort with is busy and doesn't want to admit it. When my parents tell me I cant do something because of other commitments, sometimes my excuse is just "I have no money" and then theres no debate about it. Saying "My parents said no" in my experience sparks up questions and people try and convince you to argue with your parents to allow you to go. Its easier I suppose.
Focus on your revision to start with and when exams are over, then focus on a social life. If it doesn't get better, find some new friends that will see you outside of school. There is someone out there for everyone.
Reply 2
Sometimes I feel I'm not that close with my friends. We go out for lunch together before afternoon class,we sit together when classes,we added each others' line facebook but still feeling awkward.
And sometimes I'd suddenly "push" them away, I don't want to talk or respond.
But actually it's not good to be alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending