The Student Room Group

AN INSPECTOR CALLS: Birling essay, Please Mark!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Palette
Is it possible if you could check my essay please as well? I've given it a B but I'm not quite sure:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55544947&highlight=

I'd be happy to mark it but the link doesn't work.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I'd be happy to mark it but the link doesn't work.

Then go on "All threads made by Palette' and it should be there.
Original post by Palette
Then go on "All threads made by Palette' and it should be there.

It's not there either. Repost it?
It's not there either. Repost it?

Maybe it's because my edit to my post is 'pending approval'. I edited it to correct a minor factual error (I originally wrote that Mr Birling was talking about his ideology to Sheila when the Inspector rang instead of Gerald).
Original post by Palette
Maybe it's because my edit to my post is 'pending approval'. I edited it to correct a minor factual error (I originally wrote that Mr Birling was talking about his ideology to Sheila when the Inspector rang instead of Gerald).

Which exam board are you doing?
Which exam board are you doing?

AQA
Original post by Palette
AQA

Oh, I'm doing OCR. But I'll still have a go at marking due to fluency and PGS.
Oh, I'm doing OCR. But I'll still have a go at marking due to fluency and PGS.

Is the OCR marking criteria stricter than AQA's?
Original post by Palette
Is the OCR marking criteria stricter than AQA's?

I think its much stricter. You need 89% for a A*, 79% for a A etc...

They also have a tick list, some people only get half of their essay marked because the examiner didn't like their handwriting :confused:
I think its much stricter. You need 89% for a A*, 79% for a A etc...

Is that why you gave that piece of work a C?

In AQA last year 75% was an A* for Unit 1.
Reply 30
hello! i don't think that priestley was trying to portray birling as a bad father, i don't think that was a very well interpretation however it is true that he cares more about the business than his own daughter's engagement. he talks more about business and about crofts coming together! he constantly emphasises all these royal links he has too. he is distraught when the inspector challenges him. priestley is trying to show social hypocrisy, they are not willing to accept their responsibility (i loved your interpretation on that!!) when it comes to their own family like what Eric did to Eva. also i think you should explore what he says at the end of the novel, him and sybil are relaxed and go back to normal, priestley showing that the older gen will never change. other than that i would put in the top/second band :smile: good luck on your exam, im also taking mine on monday :frown:
Original post by Palette
Is that why you gave that piece of work a C?

In AQA last year 75% was an A* for Unit 1.

Wow AQA are really friendly. I gave it a C because I mark a lot of English essays, I'm an expert in my class so I have to mark others essays so I know the difference between A* and C. But it's always better to give a more reasonable grade so that the person keeps trying to improve than to give a A*. Because that person may think they cannot improve it anymore and they might regret it when it comes to the exam if the examiner disagrees.
Original post by K K
hello! i don't think that priestley was trying to portray birling as a bad father, i don't think that was a very well interpretation however it is true that he cares more about the business than his own daughter's engagement. he talks more about business and about crofts coming together! he constantly emphasises all these royal links he has too. he is distraught when the inspector challenges him. priestley is trying to show social hypocrisy, they are not willing to accept their responsibility (i loved your interpretation on that!!) when it comes to their own family like what Eric did to Eva. also i think you should explore what he says at the end of the novel, him and sybil are relaxed and go back to normal, priestley showing that the older gen will never change. other than that i would put in the top/second band :smile: good luck on your exam, im also taking mine on monday :frown:

I think you're right about the older gen not changing thing, in retrospect i think i should have gone for that than the birling defending himself thing. Thank you for your feedback! Good luck on monday!
Which examination board are you all doing?
Mine's edexcel (Igcse)
Original post by Strangerdanger
Mine's edexcel (Igcse)

AQA for me
i think its really good... as an improvement i think it would be helpful to locate where you got the main quotes from. For example say in act 1 ...
Original post by chandnithakkar
i think its really good... as an improvement i think it would be helpful to locate where you got the main quotes from. For example say in act 1 ...

I agree, I think that would be a good way of adding structure to my paragraphs. Thanks for the feedback! ^^
Original post by Strangerdanger
Mine's edexcel (Igcse)

Me too, 100% Exam one. I prefer this to the AQA one, 90 minutes to do two essays and the questions are much nicer.
Wow AQA are really friendly. I gave it a C because I mark a lot of English essays, I'm an expert in my class so I have to mark others essays so I know the difference between A* and C. But it's always better to give a more reasonable grade so that the person keeps trying to improve than to give a A*. Because that person may think they cannot improve it anymore and they might regret it when it comes to the exam if the examiner disagrees.

I personally would give that work an A... the grammar's not perfect, but grammar counts for 4 marks, hardly enough reason to knock off a grade by itself. Honestly, what sort of standard does OCR expect?
Original post by Palette
I personally would give that work an A... the grammar's not perfect, but grammar counts for 4 marks, hardly enough reason to knock off a grade by itself. Honestly, what sort of standard does OCR expect?

Our grammar counts for something stupid like 10 marks in one of the tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending