The Student Room Group

OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moment of truth
Ahh okay, fair enough. A2 psychology is more interesting (imo) but you have wayyy more to learn!

It seems more interesting!
Hi guys! Does anyone know how to structure these Section B questions:
Suggest how your chosen study could be improved [8]
Outline the implications of the improvements you have suggested for your chosen study [8]

I prefer it when these questions are combined into one question like "Describe and evaluate changes..." as I have enough to write about, but I don't know to what I should write in these questions :confused:
Original post by Kamara7
Outline the implications of the improvements you have suggested for your chosen study [8]

I prefer it when these questions are combined into one question like "Describe and evaluate changes..." as I have enough to write about, but I don't know to what I should write in these questions :confused:

Is there any studies/approach your looking at? I have a booklet of all the improvements, how and implications for section B. But its too big to upload it all. If you say a study/approach i will upload it
Original post by natashaellenx
How difficult did you find A2? Do you think if someone struggled with AS that A2 would be a lot for them to handle? 72 studies is crazy!

I would say it is quite difficult, wasn't expecting anything else though. I wouldn't say I really struggled with AS although I didn't do well in the exams and so ended up with not that good a grade, but I moved up a grade in A2 and actually did very well in the hardest exam (but messed up the easier exam lol). I think, as long as you work at it, it is definitely achievable. You may not actually study 72 studies but instead 56 (I think), depends on your teachers.

Would you say you kept up with all the work this year? Or did you fall behind and have to catch up closer to the exam?

Feel free to PM if you ever want any advice or anything :smile:
Original post by LaurenceJ96
Is there any studies/approach your looking at? I have a booklet of all the improvements, how and implications for section B. But its too big to upload it all. If you say a study/approach i will upload it

Do you have improvements of studies in the social approach :smile:
Original post by Kamara7
Do you have improvements of studies in the social approach :smile:

Here you go
Fun fact: Simon Baron-Cohen who came up with the study on autism is the cousin of Sacha Baron-Cohen, creator of Ali G and Borat.
Reply 67
Original post by LaurenceJ96
Here you go

Thank you so much :biggrin:
Can someone give me structure for 8 markers in section B?

PEC yes, but how many points do I give for procedural changes, how indepth do I need to describe the procedure if asked?

If asked to 'make changes to your study' [8] and then 'evaluate these changes' [8]

Do I need to just say what I'll change in the first part of the question, how am I meant to get 8 marks from that?

I don't see how all these marks are achieved
Original post by natashaellenx
Thank you so much for this!! I couldn't find that paper. What studies came up for section b? Do you remember

I do remember, they were:

Dement and Kleitman

Thigpen and Cleckley

Reicher and Haslam
Hopefully this will help you guys. Currently hoping section B is on Sam/Bandura and Section C is developmental. :biggrin::biggrin: Ignore the file title it's up to date :P
I got 90% on this exam last year, 126/140 ums so if anyone has any queries I can try and answer them. Although not the biological ones because I don't remember them at all, but any questions on exam technique or other things I will gladly try to help.
Original post by kingdoo
I got 90% on this exam last year, 126/140 ums so if anyone has any queries I can try and answer them. Although not the biological ones because I don't remember them at all, but any questions on exam technique or other things I will gladly try to help.

That is a tremendous mark. I got 45/120 so I did badly.

I'd like to ask:

- What technique do you use for Section A? I did terrible on that section

- What specific details is it useful to know for the core studies?

- What tips do you have?

- How did you get such a high mark?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
Is it nessaccary to know all the numbers for quantitative results? There are just so many to remember and I get them mixed up sometimes :frown:
Original post by theperformer
That is a tremendous mark. I got 45/120 so I did badly.

I'd like to ask:

- What technique do you use for Section A? I did terrible on that section

- What specific details is it useful to know for the core studies?

Don't worry how you did last year. I got over double the marks the second year round so you are very likely to improve.

Section A is probably the hardest to revise for, what I would suggest is learning all the finer details for this section. The parts that don't seem that important but are still relevant to the study. Also I cannot really give you any pointers other than if it is a 4 marker you need to give at least 2 points and describe/evaluate in quite a bit of detail

There are quite a lot of specific details that you will need to remember but examples could be that $4.50 was given to Milgram's participants (probably quite a simple one). That the words needed to get into the mental hospitals in Rosenhan's study were 'thud' 'hollow' and 'empty.' Thigpen and Cleckley it would be good to look at the ink bloc tests and what they actually meant. I believe that Eve Black was regressive because she wanted to regress back to an earlier stage in her life while Eve White was repressive.

Oh didn't see that you edited

top tips, section C you must read the question very carefully. Very basic but the 12 marker that came up last year was so unexpected despite being so easy if you actually read the question..

Section B I would suggest reading the last question before answering the second to last question because they are normally connected in some way.

Overall it is really hard to give advice. It is one of those exams where if you have revised all the studies in a lot of detail then you will get a really good mark.

How did I get such a high mark? Honestly I knew pretty much everything, don't know whether I can say the same for A2 learning like over 70 studies is so hard. :smile:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nasia97
Is it nessaccary to know all the numbers for quantitative results? There are just so many to remember and I get them mixed up sometimes :frown:

Definitely if you are doing it for section B but not as necessary for section A.
Original post by Kamara7

You need AT LEAST 2 implications in context of the improvement using psychological terms that relate back to the improvement effectively. The implications must be well explained!
To ensure you include context in both of the implications leave a gap between the two so that you don't think it is enough to include context in only one!
You will be fine!
Im more panicky about remembering all the aims to be honest :')
Original post by Kamara7

Oh and for the Improvement question you need it to be in context of the study to an extent so basically make sure you relate it back to the study and try to suggest change/s you could make which would improve your study....for example.... Maguire change 1: Make it a longditudinal study where you scan the taxi drivers before taking part in the knowledge and then every 6 months or so afterwards until 2 years after completeing the knowledge so that they act as their own control and you observe cause and effect/before and after - you are given more information and therefore the study is more useful and valid. Change 2: introduce another experimental group who also use their spatial navagation just in a different way .... for example, pilots! This makes the study more useful to greater groups of people, improves generalisation, makes the study more valid etc.... Try and also state certain things you are keeping the same and expand on points... but change 2 should always be shorter than change 1....it should be your backup point to an extent!
To be honest every improvement/change question should have 'sufficent detail to allow replication' :smile: BUT remember it is only 8 marks so you may only need one change but in 10/12 markers you would need 2 changes!
I hope this helps:smile:
For those of you resitting this is my opinion on what may or may not come up. This was answering the a private chat by the way.

Well last year Thigpen and Cleckely, Reicher and Haslam and Dement and Kleitman came up. And the year before, Loftus, Sperry and Baron Cohan.

In all honesty I don't think Labs will come up for section B because it came up as the 12 marker in section C for the cognitive approach last year which I would presume most candidates answered. And the previous years section B case studies were all lab experiments.

I think I was told that field experiments are the only one to not have come up before from people in my class who are resitting but I am not completely sure on that one.

If I am completely honest I think the development approach will come up because I was surprised it didn't come up last year. If that is the case section B is unlikely to be, Samuel and Bryant, Bandura or Freud. I therefore think that the ones that are likely to come up are the social ones, so Milgram, Piliavin (not Reicher and Haslam because it came up last year). Or the the odd ones that haven't come up that much which would be Freud (they could put this in even if section C is on the development approach because the study hasn't come up for a while), Maguire and Griffiths.

I would tip Griffiths to come up because it seems to be a really unpopular choice by OCR.

So to summarise

I think section B possibilities will be Freud, Griffiths, Maguire, Milgram and Piliavin.

I think it will most likely to be field experiments or ecological validity.

It is most likely to be ecological validity because all of these studies including Maguire are all high in ecological validity. Maguire is high in ecological validity because they are testing their real life spacial awareness/navigation of real taxi drivers. If I remember correctly it was not an experiment or anything so therefore it was just the biological tests they did with the grey matter and the mri scans. Because nothing was manipulated i.e. they were naturally occuring variables it makes it have high levels of ecological validity. Unlike the other 2 biological studies, which are lab experiements.

I then think section C will likely be the psychodynamic perspective and the developmental approach, especially the developmental approach which is why I don't think Bandura or Samuel and Bryant will come up in section C. Freud however could still come up in section B because it is the only one in the developmental approach which has high levels of ecological validity.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending