Original post by Marshall Taylor
Pletterse

nope, post office :tongue:
Original post by K K
nope, post office :tongue:

Damn, but did you see what I did there? :colondollar:
Reply 123
Original post by GetOverHere
You are in a room where 10 candles are burning. You leave the room, and when you return you notice that you left the window open. As a result, 2 of the candles have gone out. You leave the room again and return soon later, only to realise that one more candle has gone out.

You shut the window, and you leave again. Assuming the wind does not blow out any more candles, when you return in the morning, how many candles are there?

can't figure out how its three :confused:
Reply 124
Damn, but did you see what I did there? :colondollar:

Yes quite an intelligent guess :rolleyes:
Original post by samboosa0

Cause the three candles have been blown out so they're not burning, but the others have melted into piles of wax since they were still alight. So in total, you have 3 unlit candles and 7 piles of wax.
Reply 126

10 minus 3 candles which have gone out = 7 burning candles.

overnight the candles wax would melt so the 3 which did not burn out remain :biggrin:
Reply 127

the flame for three of them was already burnt out so the candle stayed there but the remaining 7 burnt throughout the night so the whole candle would have burnt out so it wouldn't be there anymore

A candle, like most things, have a life span after lit. If they continue to burn then their 'life span' will also to burn. So in the riddle he allowed it to burn and the window didn't blow it out as a result it died or melted away.
Reply 129
Cause the three candles have been blown out so they're not burning, but the others have melted into piles of wax since they were still alight. So in total, you have 3 unlit candles and 7 piles of wax.

Original post by K K
10 minus 3 candles which have gone out = 7 burning candles.

overnight the candles wax would melt so the 3 which did not burn out remain :biggrin:

Original post by kxylah
the flame for three of them was already burnt out so the candle stayed there but the remaining 7 burnt throughout the night so the whole candle would have burnt out so it wouldn't be there anymore

A candle, like most things, have a life span after lit. If they continue to burn then their 'life span' will also to burn. So in the riddle he allowed it to burn and the window didn't blow it out as a result it died or melted away.

Thankyou guys! got it :colondollar::smile:
Thankyou guys! got it :colondollar::smile:

I was gonna say, so many people addressing the concept of candles burning out! xD
Reply 131
I was gonna say, so many people addressing the concept of candles burning out! xD

ahaha guess i just had a stupid moment :facepalm::colondollar:

Haha the responses were quicker than an emergency thread
There's a man in a room with no windows and a locked door. In the room are 3 items:
1) a piano
2) a plate which has been broken in two
3) a baseball bat.
Using only these items, there are three ways the man can escape. What are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He can kill himself using the broken plate and die (he will escape from this life so technically he will escape the room)
Original post by Strangerdanger
He can kill himself using the broken plate and die (he will escape from this life so technically he will escape the room)

Nope :P dying doesn't count as escaping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure about 1 yet, but 2 is that two halves make a whole (hole), so you escape through it. 3, you grab the baseball bat and swing it 3 times. 3 strikes and you're out.

EDIT: 1 is probably something to do about playing the right key or something
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not sure about 1 yet, but 2 is that two halves make a whole (hole), so you escape through it. 3, you grab the baseball bat and swing it 3 times. 3 strikes and you're out.

EDIT: 1 is probably something to do about playing the right key or something

Yep :smile: 1 you just take a key and unlock the door.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A prison contains twenty inmates and a warden. The warden has built a room containing two pointless levers, each of which can be either in the up position or the down position, but no other state. The warden tells the inmates that he will select a random inmate to visit the room, and allow them to change the position of one or both of the levers - and indeed, when they do so, they must change the state of at least one lever. He will continue to select inmates in this manner after random time intervals indefinitely. At any time, an inmate may approach the warden and tell him that all inmates have visited the room at least once. If the inmate is correct, they all go free; if he is wrong, they are all summarily executed. He allows the inmates to strategise together before he begins, but he doesn't tell them the original position of the levers or which inmate he will select first. The inmates devise a plan to escape as soon as possible without risking their lives. What is their plan?
You are blindfolded and required to sort twenty pennies into two piles with the same distribution of heads and tails in each pile. You know that of the twenty, ten begin heads-up and ten begin tails-up, but you have no means of determining the position of any of the pennies.

Quick Reply

Latest