The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Enoxial
She won?

There was a lot of controversy this year in the student elections because it seemed like terrible candidates who didn't even bother campaigning got voted in because of ISOC's endorsement.

This particular girl didn't get elected for the same reason, ISOC endorsed someone else. So she tweeted about it, which led to them attacking her.
It's a shame, I thought she deserved it.
Interesting post, worth the read. Via Ahmed Rehab.

I was walking into my downtown office building the other day when I was stopped by a passer by. "Aren't you the guy on TV?" he asked. We proceeded to have a 45 minute conversation. He expressed concern about many Muslim-related topics starting with ISIS, then Hijabis, then Muslims in general. He asked me about Anwar Al Awlaki, the Houthis, etc.

Half way into the conversation, he asked me this: "I am probably going to sound ignorant, but so, the Arabs and the Muslims right, so which of those is the one that prays to Allah?"

Now mind you, this is a senior manager at a fortune 500 company. That's one reason the question surprised me beyond the obvious. But the other reason is this is a guy who knew how to perfectly pronounce Anwar Al Awlaki, knew where he was born, how he died, was up to date on ISIS in Syria and Iraq, knew enough about Saudi and Yemen to bring up the Houthi rebellion in Yemen, etc. Yet he could not tell the difference between an ethnic group and a religious group, at the heart of the issues he was debating.

The contradiction was astounding. But it further drew my attention to the problem before us: namely, how much many Americans know of the aberrational state in the house of Islam compared to how little they know of the normative state of Islam. (Which by the way I would argue is a direct reflection of the discrepancy in US media reporting on Muslims, Islam, and the Muslim-majority world). To gage the intensity of the discrepancy, imagine a person who claimed a certain aptitude for the details of leukemia - or blood cancer - yet was confused on where the heart was located in the body.

In any case, I proceeded to explain to him that Arabs were an ethno-linguistic group and that Muslims were a faith group. I explained to him that Arabs are to Latinos as Muslims are to Catholics. "Imagine if you asked someone, so is it the Latinos or the Catholics who follow the Roman Church?" I explained that there were Arab Catholics, Protestants, Bahais, and even agnostics - as well as Muslims; while on the other hand, Muslims are not just Arab but Black, White, Latino, Asian and everything else -- and that in fact 82% of Muslims are not Arab.

He seemed to appreciate the insight. As he did for his question on Hijab. Like Juan Williams of FOX News, he expressed fear of "Muslim garb" namely "the Hijab." I asked him if he had ever considered going to a client site "butt naked." After getting the intended rise out of him, along with the expected "no", I explained to him that he too then was guilty of applying a "Hijab." "How so?" He asked.

"That you have a portion of your body that you insist to cover every morning before you go out in public is hijab by definition. Your hijab was informed by a combination of religion, tradition, culture, etc. In other words, dogma. So much that you would likely fire an employee who showed up to work in Speedos, would you not? The concept of Hijab is therefore very much applied as "the norm" in our Western Civilization in our every day life, the absence of which is in fact deemed unacceptable by society. The difference between you and a Muslim woman when it comes to covering up - or Hijab - is therefore not in "concept" but in "extent." It is considered fascist to allow yourself one extent abd deny a slightly different one to a fellow cotizen. In that regard, You are as justified in fearing her "garb" as someone who prefers wearing shorts all day is in fearing your "garb" - your polo shirt and docker pants - perhaps deemed by him as ultra conservative, dogmatic, and an unnecessary overkill."

"In a free society, we tend to accommodate varying extents of an agreed upon concept. Indeed we already do: some women in your office wear knee high skirts, others wear ankle high skirts. You don't object to the latter's extent. It seems that the objection (and fear) is uniquely reserved to a Muslim woman which is the definition of discriminatory."

"As far as associating the Hijab with terrorism which is where I presume the fear comes from, that is as much an error of correlation as seeing you in a business suit and wondering whether you're a potential Bernie Madoff or White Collar criminal."

He acknowledged that he practiced a form of Hijab and said he never thought of it that way. And also granted the analogy of erroneous correlation.

We proceeded to cover different topics including the Qur'an usually starting with him making an outlandish or accusatory statement (i.e. "the Qur'an teaches violence") and I trying to deconstruct them using statistics, facts and logic.

At the end, he expressed his gratitude for my patience, we exchanged information, and I invited him to visit our office at a later date.

So what's the take away?

By now, I have enough experience to distinguish the bigoted from the innocently ignorant; the maliciously intended from the genuinely clueless- though both may come to the same outlandish stereotypes and soundbites.

This man, as ill-informed as he was does not have a bigoted bone in his body. How many of our fellow Americans while not bigoted are utterly clueless on some of the key issues making headlines and engrossing public opinion today - towards the same net effect? And how much does the nature, setup and mere business model of our hit-and-run media contribute to it? And are we equipped to differentiate between the two groups and rise up to each as different and unique challenges.

We need to analyze the nuances of the problem before us and apply more varied and sophisticated strategies as solutions.
I'll soon be announcing one exciting project am involved with that is designed to up that game.
Original post by IdeasForLife

Subhan'Allah

I never knew about him.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Morsi got sentenced to death today. May Allah grant him Jannah if it is carried out.

I cant imagine what it must feel like to be sentenced to death.. It must be unbelievably scary

But when you think about it... We're all sentenced to death in a way.. Kullu nafsin za ikatul maut

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahid-r
There was a lot of controversy this year in the student elections because it seemed like terrible candidates who didn't even bother campaigning got voted in because of ISOC's endorsement.

This particular girl didn't get elected for the same reason, ISOC endorsed someone else. So she tweeted about it, which led to them attacking her.
It's a shame, I thought she deserved it.

It's ultimately the fault of people failing to campaigning properly as well as the lack of student participation in SU elections or any sort of political voting. The number of votes when compared to the QM student body is tiny..........now that they have banned student society endorsements, it will just further reflect on the numbers of voters and act against the few societies that bother to get involved in the SU election at all. The whole amendment to change student society endorsement is itself a controversial issue and many ask why it was never discussed at the big AGM when every student had a vote. Not to mention the issues of policing the system, what if members of a society get behind so and so and campaign on their behalf but do not say it is society endorsement, where is the line.
Original post by Iqbal007
It's ultimately the fault of people failing to campaigning properly as well as the lack of student participation in SU elections or any sort of political voting. The number of votes when compared to the QM student body is tiny..........now that they have banned student society endorsements, it will just further reflect on the numbers of voters and act against the few societies that bother to get involved in the SU election at all. The whole amendment to change student society endorsement is itself a controversial issue and many ask why it was never discussed at the big AGM when every student had a vote. Not to mention the issues of policing the system, what if members of a society get behind so and so and campaign on their behalf but do not say it is society endorsement, where is the line.

I didn't think it was fair that ISOC got all that hate, it's not their fault that they managed to get people to vote (which is a good thing).

I agree that now the endorsements will happen behind closed doors, it's really not a desirable solution.

I would disagree that campaigning is necessarily a cause of the problem. People did campaign, like this girl, she was very good. I don't know what more could have been asked of her. It's down to the SU.

However it is understandable why people were so pissed off. After all, one guy got elected to VP Education despite not bothering to turn up to Hustings. Even more controversial was the ISOC endorsement of a guy for VP Welfare who wasn't even aware that a major part of his job description is protecting LGBT people (there were accusations that he is homophobic, or at the very least not supportive of LGBT rights). Whether or not you like homosexuals, you can see why this got people angry.

It's not good for one society to control the elections. But I have no clue what the solution is. :confused:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9786
Original post by husband material
Nah, i cant see sigs on mobile

Anyway, i shall reply to the pm. I hope you dont plan on doing anything to me bro.. That wouldnt be cool :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you be willing to say Wallah you aren't him?
Original post by Ruh
Would you be willing to say Wallah you aren't him?

Well, i've lied before when using the "wallahi" term... But that was like 9-10 months ago when my faith was practically rock bottom :sigh:

But anyway yes that guy isnt me. Wallahi

Believe me if you want. I cant really prove it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, i've lied before when using the "wallahi" term... But that was like 9-10 months ago when my faith was practically rock bottom :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just post your ip address. What's the worst that can happen ? *cough* DDOS *cough*
Original post by Wahid-r
Yeah, of course you can, my sisters are. It's just a weird thing my mind does when I see a hijabi, automatically assumes it's a no go zone.

There was a hijabi trying to get votes to be the STEM representative at uni. She was from America and had this very peppy American delivery. I had a smile on my face throughout the whole thing. It just was a very surprising contrast, personality v dress. I wasn't going to vote, but after that I went and voted just for her.

"it's a no go zone" meaning? Are we talking about sense of humour here or free-mixing or what?
Aww that's nice!
I may be stating the obvious (to some) here but Muslim girls are very different to one another, there are quiet ones, loud ones, smart ones, not-so-smart ones, fashionistas, tom-boys, etc...just because we share something in common that does not mean we talk the same, think the same, behave the same...
Just had to clarify :ninja:
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
jazakillah khayr

why is it that in the hadeeth collection of Imam Ahmad he did not write salAllahu alayhi wa salam anywhere after the Prophets name?

Ok I'm not sure if this was Imam Ahmad but..
I once heard that a scholar did not write salAllahu alaihi wasallam after the Prophet's name because he didn't want to abbreviate it but also didn't have the ink (or was it time?) to write it out in full each time...
I cant imagine what it must feel like to be sentenced to death.. It must be unbelievably scary

But when you think about it... We're all sentenced to death in a way.. Kullu nafsin za ikatul maut

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh man, it's be quite daunting I imagine.

All men must die, yeps.

Original post by javedkid123
Just post your ip address. What's the worst that can happen ? *cough* DDOS *cough*

That'd be a first lol. Ddosing someone so they're unable to post properly on TSR :lol:
Reply 9792

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would have been clearer if you didn't break the sentence by having a full stop before the Wallahi. You need to literally say 'Wallahi, I am not UnsahihDatHadith'
Original post by javedkid123

I just googled DDOS. How does one do that? :confused:

Original post by Biryani007

I may be stating the obvious (to some) here but Muslim girls are very different to one another, there are quiet ones, loud ones, smart ones, not-so-smart ones, fashionistas, tom-boys, etc...just because we share something in common that does not mean we talk the same, think the same, behave the same...
Just had to clarify :ninja:

Agree :yep:
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
why is it that in the hadeeth collection of Imam Ahmad he did not write salAllahu alayhi wa salam anywhere after the Prophets name?

Shot in the dark.

Was it due to his poverty he couldn't afford the ink/paper to write it?
وَلَقَدْ خَلَقْنَٰكُمْ ثُمَّ صَوَّرْنَٰكُمْ ثُمَّ قُلْنَا لِلْمَلَٰٓئِكَةِ ٱسْجُدُوا۟ لِءَادَمَ فَسَجَدُوٓا۟ إِلَّآ إِبْلِيسَ لَمْ يَكُن مِّنَ ٱلسَّٰجِدِينَ
Sahih International
And We have certainly created you, [O Mankind], and given you [human] form. Then We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam"; so they prostrated, except for Iblees. He was not of those who prostrated.

قَالَ مَا مَنَعَكَ أَلَّا تَسْجُدَ إِذْ أَمَرْتُكَ ۖ قَالَ أَنَا۠ خَيْرٌ مِّنْهُ خَلَقْتَنِى مِن نَّارٍ وَخَلَقْتَهُۥ مِن طِينٍ
Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, "What prevented you from prostrating when I commanded you?" [Satan] said, "I am better than him. You created me from fire and created him from clay."

قَالَ فَٱهْبِطْ مِنْهَا فَمَا يَكُونُ لَكَ أَن تَتَكَبَّرَ فِيهَا فَٱخْرُجْ إِنَّكَ مِنَ ٱلصَّٰغِرِينَ
Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, "Descend from Paradise, for it is not for you to be arrogant therein. So get out; indeed, you are of the debased.

قَالَ أَنظِرْنِىٓ إِلَىٰ يَوْمِ يُبْعَثُونَ
Sahih International
[Satan] said, "Reprieve me until the Day they are resurrected."

قَالَ إِنَّكَ مِنَ ٱلْمُنظَرِينَ
Sahih International
[ Allah ] said, "Indeed, you are of those reprieved."

قَالَ فَبِمَآ أَغْوَيْتَنِى لَأَقْعُدَنَّ لَهُمْ صِرَٰطَكَ ٱلْمُسْتَقِيمَ
Sahih International
[Satan] said, "Because You have put me in error, I will surely sit in wait for them on Your straight path.

ثُمَّ لَءَاتِيَنَّهُم مِّنۢ بَيْنِ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمِنْ خَلْفِهِمْ وَعَنْ أَيْمَٰنِهِمْ وَعَن شَمَآئِلِهِمْ ۖ وَلَا تَجِدُ أَكْثَرَهُمْ شَٰكِرِينَ
Sahih International
Then I will come to them from before them and from behind them and on their right and on their left, and You will not find most of them grateful [to You]."

[Quran 7:11-17]
Do any of you support gay rights?
إِنَّ فِى خَلْقِ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضِ وَٱخْتِلَٰفِ ٱلَّيْلِ وَٱلنَّهَارِ لَءَايَٰتٍ لِّأُو۟لِى ٱلْأَلْبَٰبِ

Sahih International
Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding.

ٱلَّذِينَ يَذْكُرُونَ ٱللَّهَ قِيَٰمًا وَقُعُودًا وَعَلَىٰ جُنُوبِهِمْ وَيَتَفَكَّرُونَ فِى خَلْقِ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضِ رَبَّنَا مَا خَلَقْتَ هَٰذَا بَٰطِلًا سُبْحَٰنَكَ فَقِنَا عَذَابَ ٱلنَّارِ

Who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], "Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing]; then protect us from the punishment of the Fire.

[Quran 3:190-191]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9798
Original post by It's a Shame
Do any of you support gay rights?

Define 'gay rights'
Original post by Ruh
Define 'gay rights'

The fact you even ask that is disturbing.

Would you respond in a similar vein when asked if you support black rights?

Latest

Trending

Trending