The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m1503_
For social influences - the minority what can I use for the Ao2?

It is unlikely they would give us a discuss question on minority influence but if you want A02, Moscovici had done a study on colours on female participants you could look at.
Original post by Sadiariya
How much would I need to write for 6 marks of AO1 about the psychodynamic approach e.g. can I just mention the id, ego and superego and ego defence mechanisms or would I have to include the stages of development as well. Same goes for the biological approach; can I just mention like genes and neuroanatomy or do I have to talk about all four???

Anybody????????
Can I use sex as an evaluation point for stress or it is too vulgar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sadiariya
How much would I need to write for 6 marks of AO1 about the psychodynamic approach e.g. can I just mention the id, ego and superego and ego defence mechanisms or would I have to include the stages of development as well. Same goes for the biological approach; can I just mention like genes and neuroanatomy or do I have to talk about all four???

Depends on how you elaborate, if it is a good elaboration you talk about 2 or 3 assumption otherwise more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marli-Ruth
An outline of emotion-focused approaches to coping with stress.
What is this? O_O
was in a past paper but mark scheme says nothing literally...
help :smile:

It's been taken off the spec since 2011, my teacher said so
I was thinking to remember only 3 of the Rosenhan and Seligman 'failure to function adequately' points e.g. maladaptive behaviour etc. Do you think it's enough or do I need to know all of them?
are Asch/Milgram variations directly examinable?
if not what can we include them in?
Original post by Eleonore

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing wrong with a little bump and grind :wink:

ignore that.
Nothing wrong with a little bump and grind :wink:

ignore that.

:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is the psychosexual approach that everyones talking about?? Haven't been taught it and it's not in the AQA third edition book
An outline of emotion-focused approaches to coping with stress.
What is this? O_O
was in a past paper but mark scheme says nothing literally...
help :smile:

It's been taken off the specification but I can explain:

It's part of biological psychology (stress)

Emotion-focused strategies aim to reduce the negative effects of stressors by making an individual feel positive about a stressful situation such as:

- looking for distractions
- preparing oneself for the worst possible outcome
- keeping active to avoid thinking about the stressor
- denying that the situation exists or is a problem
- distancing oneself from the problem
- altering the way a problem is perceived, for example seeing the humour in the situation

These obviously don't really focus on the problem at hand as much as the impact of it.

Problem-focused strategies aim to confront them directly and focus on dealing with the causes of stressful situations, examples of these are:

- Not turning to alternative activities to put off dealing with stressful situations. For example not gaming in order to put off revision for your PSYA2 exams :wink:
- Taking personal responsibility/charge of stressful situations, e.g. researching details of a dangerous illness which you've recently found out that you have (god forbid!)
- Weighing up the strengths and weaknesses of each possible means of dealing with stressful situations.

In a nutshell (TL;DR version), problem-focused aims to tackle problems head-on while emotion-focused aims to deal with the negative impacts without dealing with the root causes! Kind of like psychological therapies VS drug treatments.
Original post by aimsnaywux
my teacher hasn't taught the class any and I can't recall learning any but
we have to learn the approaches and their treatments, then both strengths and limitations for the approach and treatments :unimpressed:

Yeah I we haven't done any studies for abnormality either which I'm happy about! But I'm not looking forward to social that's my weakest topic out of the whole of psychology😔☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iodo345
Unilateral/Bilateral
Muscle relaxant/ anaesthetic given
Oxygen given, current half a second
Seizure 1 minute
Given 3 times a week for 5 weeks

Do we need to know this?:s-smilie: I'm learning everything in minimal detail which I know isn't great but I've never been taught about ECT in detail?
Also, this has probably already been asked but do we need 6 evaluation points for AO2 or is 4 elaborated points enough for 6 marks?
Original post by Eleonore

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you use sex to evaluate?

Probably best to talk about something else anyway.
why revise psychodynamic approach it came up last year?!?!
Original post by andf1997
why revise psychodynamic approach it came up last year?!?!

Because AQA are sneaky little ****s

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a question asks you to 'discuss' something, do you evaluate it?
Original post by hannah4262

If it's a 12 marker then yes it's always 6 marks ao1 and 6 marks ao2
Original post by hannah4262

As far as I know ... No. When they ask you to "discuss" it usually means outline so not evaluate. The marks should tell you whether it's both outline and evaluate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yessssssss definitely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending