The Student Room Group

Dropped out of first year, moving course, not entitled to finance?

Hey guys

I dropped out of my original course choice in 2011-12 first year as the course wasn't for me and felt like I wasn't pursuing the right career.

I've now had this gap between and this year decided to apply for university on a course I've researched for a while now and I have been accepted on unconditional circumstances for 15/16

I've been applying for student finance and received a letter through to post saying I won't be entitled to any maintenance or tuition fee due to studying a degree equivalent or lesser to what I have right now, but I dropped out of that course and obviously have no degree. How would I go about ammending this issue as I'm worried now due to the deadline being so close and as far as I was concerned, I get a "spare year".

Any help is greatly appreciated :confused::frown:
How many previous years funding have you had? The formula is length of course +1 - previous years study.
Reply 2
1 year of study.
Reply 3
It's still coming up on my student finance, my first university but I left in 2011, I'm assuming I'm going to have to call that uni to get them to take me off the list or finance? Just want this to get sorted before the deadline but worry now that it's too late..
Original post by Azraman
1 year of study.

I'm really not sure why they're saying you're not eligible then as you're supposed to be able to have an extra years student finance in case of things like dropping out, course changes or repeat year. And you've only used up one year.

I'd call them and ask because at the moment it's not making much sense.
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm really not sure why they're saying you're not eligible then as you're supposed to be able to have an extra years student finance in case of things like dropping out, course changes or repeat year. And you've only used up one year.

I'd call them and ask because at the moment it's not making much sense.

I'm hoping it's just a simple admin mistake that can be changed as its showing my course for this year and my old course, it may just be a case of them removing the old course and just checking again and I send evidence off..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azraman
It's still coming up on my student finance, my first university but I left in 2011, I'm assuming I'm going to have to call that uni to get them to take me off the list or finance? Just want this to get sorted before the deadline but worry now that it's too late..

Just remember, now you cannot afford to repeat a whole year or anything like that as your year of grace is gone.
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
Just remember, now you cannot afford to repeat a whole year or anything like that as your year of grace is gone.

I know, I'm glad I did though because I knew right now I would have been passing my course and regretted my choice.
In some situations, such as illness you can get more funding.

The deadline you refer to is just so that you can get your finance on time. You need to phone up and ask what's going on.
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
In some situations, such as illness you can get more funding.

The deadline you refer to is just so that you can get your finance on time. You need to phone up and ask what's going on.

It shouldn't be an issue at all though since I only got 1 year installment, it's just a cock up I think and I'm gonna call them tomorrow and keep this thread updated :smile:
Original post by Azraman
It shouldn't be an issue at all though since I only got 1 year installment, it's just a cock up I think and I'm gonna call them tomorrow and keep this thread updated :smile:

Tomorrow is Sunday. They should be open on Monday though.

Yes, please do keep us updated. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
Tomorrow is Sunday. They should be open on Monday though.

Yes, please do keep us updated. :smile:

SLC is open 9-4 right? I will do thank you for your replies, just worrying :frown:
Original post by Azraman
SLC is open 9-4 right? I will do thank you for your replies, just worrying :frown:

My apologies! They are open tomorrow - 9-4pm.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending