The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Uhhh
Whoa IB, I'm sorry :wink: I'm thinking maybe Magdalen, because I like the facilities/amount of sports.

I do bio, chem, maths, psychology and general studies (it's compulsory) I'm gonna do an EPQ next year too but I'm torn between dropping maths or psych - I may just keep both. How about you?

ooh what's psychology like? :smile: I do HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and SL Maths, English and German.
Reply 521
Original post by MSJKSP
ooh what's psychology like? :smile: I do HL Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and SL Maths, English and German.

It's really interesting, I just wish we did an exam board with more applied knowledge. I've heard philosophy is a love/hate sort of subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 522
Original post by Uhhh
It's really interesting, I just wish we did an exam board with more applied knowledge. I've heard philosophy is a love/hate sort of subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes it is! it's really fascinating and a good break from science which can get quite tedious! Especially biology which I find much harder and more time consuming than chemistry. However it is really hard to revise for and to get the essay style just right; the exams are quite short and it's hard to get everything in! I would have loved to have done psychology :smile:
Original post by Swifty139
GCSE's: 10A*'s, 2A's
A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Classical Civilizations, French
Predicted: A's

Would like to do Classics, possibly with French :smile:

That looks great.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Anybody else applying for PPE? :smile:
Original post by Pumpkinpasty
Anybody else applying for PPE? :smile:

I am! :biggrin: Have you decided which college?
Reply 526
Original post by MSJKSP
yes it is! it's really fascinating and a good break from science which can get quite tedious! Especially biology which I find much harder and more time consuming than chemistry. However it is really hard to revise for and to get the essay style just right; the exams are quite short and it's hard to get everything in! I would have loved to have done psychology :smile:

!!!! I find the same with psych - it's not as essay based as I expected but it's a nice mash up of bio and... Psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not 100% applying as I want to wait for my AS grades. I feel I may be a little inadequate..
BUT
If I do apply:

GCSE grades: 5A*s and 6As
Predicted 5 As at AS (bit optimistic in my eyes.. :P)
Looking at EMEL (French and Hebrew)
Oriel or St Johns College

Just out of interest, does anyone know much about choral scholarships and the standard required?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oakflame
I am! :biggrin: Have you decided which college?

Umm at the moment I'm thinking Keble, Brasenose or Balliol, but I'm going on an open day in July so hopefully I will make my final decision then :smile: What about you?
Original post by PerlaDeSabiduría
I might as well join in the fun:tongue:
GCSE's: 6A*s, 6A's, somehow top of my year
AS levels; French, Spanish, Maths and English Lit
Predicted A's, but we'll see:colondollar:
I really want to do French and Spanish at Oxford, but Linguistics seems really interesting too!
If anyone has any relevant personal experience of these courses, or wants to promote their college for these subjects, please message me:biggrin:

Hii! you're the first person I've come across doing exactly the same A Levels as me - languages for the win lol
I'm thinking of doing either english lit on its own or English with Spanish/French but I'm so scared I won't get the grades this year:frown:
Original post by west1806
Hii! you're the first person I've come across doing exactly the same A Levels as me - languages for the win lol
I'm thinking of doing either english lit on its own or English with Spanish/French but I'm so scared I won't get the grades this year:frown:

I'm doing these A levels too!! (plus economics) I want to do French & Spanish at uni as well. I'm sure you will get the grades!! :smile:
Reply 531
I'd love to go but not really sure if I'm even close (Seems to be about 1 or 2 people every five years get into Oxbridge from my school - but then very few actually apply).

Hey ho...

National 5's: 8 As (6 A1 and 2 A2)
Highers: Maths, English, Geography, History and Music
Advanced Highers: History, Geography and Modern Studies (as well as Higher RMPS)
Course: History
College: Balliol (though barely looked into this)
I got an offer for PPE this year, I'll be glad to help if I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So i am considering an application to Oxford for Law. I am a Scottish student and this year i am doing my Highers - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics. However, i am unsure of which subjects to do next year that would best suit what i want to do.

I am thinking about:

Advanced Higher Geography
Advanced Higher History
A-Level Russian or Advanced Higher English or Advanced Higher Economics
Crash Higher Spanish

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Original post by powelsmartin
I got an offer for PPE this year, I'll be glad to help if I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah awesome congratulations! Which college? :smile: Have you got any tips on what they like to see on personal statements, etc? Also, what's the interview like? :smile:
Original post by Pumpkinpasty
Ah awesome congratulations! Which college? :smile: Have you got any tips on what they like to see on personal statements, etc? Also, what's the interview like? :smile:

Oriel :smile:

Oxford doesn't really care about personal statements - I wrote mine the night before the deadline (due to some confusion at my school) and it didn't reflect on the outcome at all. I can send you a copy of it though if you like, although it is pretty crap and targeted more towards my other choices which actually read personal statements.

The interview was basically an interesting conversation that you can't really prepare for, they'll always find a topic you're not too familiar with to ask you about in order to see how you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE grades: 4 As, 4A*s (+ C in FSMQ)
A-Levels: Predicted 3 As and A* in further maths
Course: Mathematics
College: Unsure.
gcse grades: 9 a*s
AS levels: predicted 4 As probably won't get this though aha
course: med
college: ????
Original post by powelsmartin
Oriel :smile:

Oxford doesn't really care about personal statements - I wrote mine the night before the deadline (due to some confusion at my school) and it didn't reflect on the outcome at all. I can send you a copy of it though if you like, although it is pretty crap and targeted more towards my other choices which actually read personal statements.

The interview was basically an interesting conversation that you can't really prepare for, they'll always find a topic you're not too familiar with to ask you about in order to see how you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All aspects of the UCAS application are taken into account by selectors, including the personal statement. As pointed out, the statement will also be read by other Universities applied to. The PS should explain why you wish to spend 3-4 years studying a particular subject at degree level and also provide some indication of your interest in the subject beyond answering exam questions (super-curricular activity can take many different forms: eg a project you have completed, a lab or museum visit you found interesting &c). You have plenty of time to think about it - I would advise against leaving it to the last minute.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
All aspects of the UCAS application are taken into account by selectors, including the personal statement. As pointed out, the statement will also be read by other Universities applied to. The PS should explain why you wish to spend 3-4 years studying a particular subject at degree level and also provide some indication of your interest in the subject beyond answering exam questions (super-curricular activity can take many different forms: eg a project you have completed, a lab or museum visit you found interesting &c). You have plenty of time to think about it - I would advise against leaving it to the last minute.

Yeah I understand that - my school told me the deadline for Oxbridge too was in January, so due to this confusion I (luckily) found out that the deadline was actually October 15th on October 13th so the personal statement turned out to be really rushed and poor in quality. Plus, I applied to other courses elsewhere and I didn't even mention PPE or politics in it (I talked about marketing and the philosophical implications of economic actions) which didn't seem to matter either.I am in no way advising to do the same thing as I did (which I know is bad), it's just not tragic if this does happen.

All I'm trying to say is that the applicant shouldn't worry too much about the personal statement - grades at GCSE and A level, TSA scores and interviews are much more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending