The Student Room Group

Out of the Spanish classroom a year, missed it ever since, worth going back?

Spanish was my favourite subject at GCSE, A* all the coursework pieces, probably got 100% on the exam, moved schools, didn't offer AS, didn't study it much after that.

Now this year it is becoming an option and i am thinking of doing it as an extra AS along with my A2s.

Now, i understand and expect AS to be considerably harder, otherwise i wouldn't want to take it. At GCSE, i didn't learn as much as i could have done simply because you didn't need to, in fact my teacher in year 11 got pissed off when i tried daringly tricky sentences that were just partially grammatically incorrect, and instead told me to say something along the lines of "ME GUSTA PIZZA PORQUE ES DELICIOSO" :angry:.

So i'm hoping, for once, Spanish can be a challenge for me and that i can actually learn from that challenge. At the same time however, i have been out of the classroom a year now, and i have noticeably lost a bit of my Spanish (mostly random nouns XD). I understand it is mostly grammar work which is good because i am good with most of them (the dodgy subjunctive, pluperfect and past tenses is a bit icky). But i am willing to learn and learn well as i intend to continue learning Spanish at Uni.

So, what do you think? Should i go for it?
Reply 1
If you want to study Spanish at uni, then it's a necessity. It sounds like you are eager to improve and learn about the grammar, which is how I was when I did A-level Spanish! I took it at uni and have never regretted it...go for it!
Reply 2
Original post by xJessx
If you want to study Spanish at uni, then it's a necessity. It sounds like you are eager to improve and learn about the grammar, which is how I was when I did A-level Spanish! I took it at uni and have never regretted it...go for it!

Sorry, i didn't mean study it for a degree, just meant alongside whatever my degree will be!

May i ask your experience in the A level? As well as pre-A level as well as any experience? (E.g. Spanish relatives).
Reply 3
Original post by Bobjim12
Sorry, i didn't mean study it for a degree, just meant alongside whatever my degree will be!

May i ask your experience in the A level? As well as pre-A level as well as any experience? (E.g. Spanish relatives).

Ah, I understand.

I had no experience with Spanish before starting it at secondary school but I just found it quite easy and enjoyable and decided to do a degree in it. I did my A-level around 7 years ago now so I'm not sure how relevant my experience will be but it was unique! I was the only Spanish student at AS and A-level and so had my own private teacher for 2 years which was amazing (although she was English not Spanish! She was lovely).
Reply 4
Original post by xJessx
Ah, I understand.

I had no experience with Spanish before starting it at secondary school but I just found it quite easy and enjoyable and decided to do a degree in it. I did my A-level around 7 years ago now so I'm not sure how relevant my experience will be but it was unique! I was the only Spanish student at AS and A-level and so had my own private teacher for 2 years which was amazing (although she was English not Spanish! She was lovely).

Should i take the AS, it wil, probably small class as well (maybe not a clas of 1 but certainly no more than 4/5).

Did you find it difficult to improve being the only one? or did you find practicing alone was effective?
Reply 5
Original post by Bobjim12
Should i take the AS, it wil, probably small class as well (maybe not a clas of 1 but certainly no more than 4/5).

Did you find it difficult to improve being the only one? or did you find practicing alone was effective?

No, it was much easier because I spoke with the teacher and she spoke only in Spanish and so I improved quickly and had no problem making the transition to uni where 100% of the classes are in Spanish.
Reply 6
Original post by xJessx
No, it was much easier because I spoke with the teacher and she spoke only in Spanish and so I improved quickly and had no problem making the transition to uni where 100% of the classes are in Spanish.

Ok, and in terms of studying, did you read books? Films? Etc.?
Reply 7
I do French at A2 now but for me there was a big difference between GCSE and AS. For example at GCSE for the speaking and writing all we had to do was memorise paragraphs whereas at A-Level it's a lot harder because of all the extra topics and grammar you learn about

My class is only 4 people and it's great because we have all made a lot of progress and our teacher can spend more time with us

I would say go for it but just make sure you know main vocab before starting :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lemxn
I do French at A2 now but for me there was a big difference between GCSE and AS. For example at GCSE for the speaking and writing all we had to do was memorise paragraphs whereas at A-Level it's a lot harder because of all the extra topics and grammar you learn about

My class is only 4 people and it's great because we have all made a lot of progress and our teacher can spend more time with us

I would say go for it but just make sure you know main vocab before starting :smile:

Yeah, i am shocked when speaking Spanish the random words i've forgotten! I have a lot of vocab books i bought years ago, could just read through them like a machine XD

Quick Reply