Original post by MsFahima
Humans don't kill each other for food..... :erm:

Rational thinker - 1
Vegan - 0
Original post by ngb9320
Bet you half the people on this thread would hope
a person that killed a dog would die.

I doubt it.
The point she was making was that she doesn't understand how ppl (and ofc I don't agree that these ppl should die) who've watched Earthlings can go on eating meat. I don't understand either- it's a very moving documentary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Protégé
Why should I care about not eating animals when they kill and eat others? It's fair.

Do you, then, consider yourself to be nothing more than an animal, and unrestricted by any moral laws that one would not apply to an animal?

But your logic says it would be ok if they did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Protégé
Why should I care about not eating animals when they kill and eat others? It's fair.

firstly, animals don't destroy the the entire life of their prey, they just kill it and eat it. we lock them up in terrible conditions, they can barely move, they usually in constant pain, we take their children away form them. thats not the same as a wild animal eating another wild animal.

also, wild animals have no choice, they would often die without eating other animals. humans are lucky enough to live in a society where we can choose, and i dont see how you could argue that choosing the option that involves murder (and arguably torture) just because it tastes better, is ok.

The animals you eat are not predators, so what you're saying isnt really applicable here anyway.

Humans are smarter than animals, the predators you refer to may not know of the pain they inflict on their prey, or their preys desire to live, but we do. we're smart enough to have a very good guess at how the animals we kill are feeling when we do it, and so we shouldnt do it.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Do you, then, consider yourself to be nothing more than an animal, and unrestricted by any moral laws that one would not apply to an animal?

Nope, animals are limited in that they don't seem to have morals. I don't blame animals for anything they do, they don't have the capacity to choose, I believe. We have morals so we should allow ourselves to be governed by them.
Original post by ngb9320
Bet you half the people on this thread would hope
a person that killed a dog would die.

Dogs are kept as pets. If someone killed a pet dog most people would be quite rightly disgusted.

I know someone (probably you) is going to bring up dog meat, but there are issues with that in the Asian countries where it is eaten.
Those countries often have little in the way of animal welfare laws, and I've heard of pet and stray animals getting caught up in it. We may have factory farms in the UK but at least we have fairly decent laws to govern it, which is more than can be said for a lot of other countries.
Reply 48

So killing is ok if it is for food?
What if a human wants to taste another human- is it ok for them to do it?
Reply 49
Original post by riamila
That's ridiculous. Like, I'm veggie, but don't force it on others. Not cool.

There's benefits of meat diets and benefits of meat free diets so nowadays it hardly makes a difference.

meat eaters are forcing their diet on animals, vegans are just speaking on behalf of the animals. anyway, eating meat contributes massivley to climate change, so by choosing to eat meat you are forcing the problems associated with it on the entire world.
Original post by RosaSparkles
But your logic says it would be ok if they didPosted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ngb9320
So killing is ok if it is for food?
What if a human wants to taste another human- is it ok for them to do it?

Woah. I didn't say that. The conversation was about food chains. So that's where I made my point. I didn't say it was okay for humans to kill each other for food.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
I don't think that people 'deserve' to die if they do things that are wrong. However, sometimes killing is justified by means of self-defence. The animals that we kill as a society do not deserve to be killed, or to suffer at our hands merely for our own enjoyment. Humans don't need to eat meat - we simply choose to because we like the taste. Eating meat satisfies us. But, if there were some mad man going around arbitrarily killing animals, over and over, shouldn't we stop him? Shouldn't we stop him even if we had to take his life?

That's what we do as a society. We kill animals over and over, for nothing but our own satisfaction. We don't deserve to die, but animals don't deserve to be killed. It would be proper for animals to kill us in self-defence, just as it would be if some alien higher-beings came to our planet and started trying to kill us for their satisfaction. But animals can't defend themselves - they're weaker than we are. We make the weak suffer for our own enjoyment. It's despicable. We don't deserve to die, but we don't deserve to get away with it, either.
Original post by Protégé
Nope, animals are limited in that they don't seem to have morals. I don't blame animals for anything they do, they don't have the capacity to choose, I believe. We have morals so we should allow ourselves to be governed by them.

Indeed. We can choose not to be ruled by our instincts. A point you made earlier, that animals can't choose not to eat meat, doesn't really apply to us. If we decide that meat-eating is immoral, then what animals do is irrelevant, because we hold ourselves to higher moral standards than animals.
Reply 53

Yummmm :drool: "I don't feel like giving this up".

I don't agree with the things she has said in the video.

i know this is just a joke to you, but its not to the dead animals that this came from. you should watch earthlings, so you can make an informed decision on what you are doing
Original post by louieja
i know this is just a joke to you, but its not to the dead animals that this came from. you should watch earthlings, so you can make an informed decision on what you are doing

Yeah, I was just making a joke because of what the girl was saying. I do understand why some people are vegans and they have valid points but they should not force it on others like the girl was doing.
Original post by louieja
firstly, animals don't destroy the the entire life of their prey, they just kill it and eat it. we lock them up in terrible conditions, they can barely move, they usually in constant pain, we take their children away form them. thats not the same as a wild animal eating another wild animal.

also, wild animals have no choice, they would often die without eating other animals. humans are lucky enough to live in a society where we can choose, and i dont see how you could argue that choosing the option that involves murder (and arguably torture) just because it tastes better, is ok.

The animals you eat are not predators, so what you're saying isnt really applicable here anyway.

Humans are smarter than animals, the predators you refer to may not know of the pain they inflict on their prey, or their preys desire to live, but we do. we're smart enough to have a very good guess at how the animals we kill are feeling when we do it, and so we shouldnt do it.

Erm, that depends mate. You can't say that all animals are kept in horrible conditions like that, some people actually hunt, they just shoot their pray, take it home and eat it. But of course that's not the norm.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have any sympathy for an animal that is killed and eaten, such is life. Animals partake in the cycle and so I see nothing wrong with us choosing to eat animals.

But if their diet was different they could be predators. Our bodies are designed for meat, their bodies aren't.

I agree but I still see nothing wrong with killing animals to eat them.

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Indeed. We can choose not to be ruled by our instincts. A point you made earlier, that animals can't choose not to eat meat, doesn't really apply to us. If we decide that meat-eating is immoral, then what animals do is irrelevant, because we hold ourselves to higher moral standards than animals.

That's true but I think that animals are already very involved in the 'circle of life'. To animals, we're just another predator. I wouldn't harbour any resentment towards an animal if it tried to kill me for food, that's just the way it is and I have no problem with it. Animals don't have the same moral standards or intelligence so I don't believe that they would be affected the same way as if a human cannibal killed another for food.
Reply 56
Original post by StrangeBanana
brb world hunger
brb poverty
brb child sex-trafficking
brb ISIS
brb Ebola

Sort that out, then I'll start caring about animals

if every one became vegan it would help massively with world hunger. over grazing is a large cause of desertification, which probably leads to people going hungry. also, as livestock are fed grain and soy beans, which could be fed to people insteas, there is a massive amount of food wasted. it takes something like 7kg of grain to produce 1kg of beef, thats 6 kg of food that could have been fed to people. animal agriculture contributes massively to global warming, leading to droughts and floods which lead to hunger. there probably more but i cant just think of all this stuff off the top of my head
Reply 57
Yeah, I was just making a joke because of what the girl was saying. I do understand why some people are vegans and they have valid points but they should not force it on others like the girl was doing.

but you are forcing your ways on the animals. and raising livestock is one of the largest (if not the largest) causes of global warming, so you are forcing the results of your way of life on the entire world
Reply 58
Original post by Protégé
Erm, that depends mate. You can't say that all animals are kept in horrible conditions like that, some people actually hunt, they just shoot their pray, take it home and eat it. But of course that's not the norm.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have any sympathy for an animal that is killed and eaten, such is life. Animals partake in the cycle and so I see nothing wrong with us choosing to eat animals.

But if their diet was different they could be predators. Our bodies are designed for meat, their bodies aren't.

I agree but I still see nothing wrong with killing animals to eat them.

That's true but I think that animals are already very involved in the 'circle of life'. To animals, we're just another predator. I wouldn't harbour any resentment towards an animal if it tried to kill me for food, that's just the way it is and I have no problem with it. Animals don't have the same moral standards or intelligence so I don't believe that they would be affected the same way as if a human cannibal killed another for food.

probably 99% of meat is not hunted by the person who kills it so bringing that up os pretty pointless.

do you not have any sympathy with humans that are run over then, cos you know, such is life. the animals we eat do not take part in the cycle, they dont eat meat. and even if they did i dont see the relevance, humans eat meat, can i eat them? why dont you see anything wrong with causing unnecessary harm?

sorry i just read the second bit of your comment about cannicals. why do you think that animals wont be affected the same way as hmans when they are killed, do they not feel the same pain? and using intelligence as a way of deciding whether its bad to eat something isnt a good way cos then i could eat mentally disabled people
Reply 59
Original post by Protégé
Yeah, animals partake in the food chain so I don't see why we're seen as 'big bad humans' if we choose to do so.

cos we choose to, animals dont have a choice

Latest