The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ums maestro

You know in meiosis, the book shows four chromosomes for meiosis

But each human cell has 23 pairs of chromosomes, right? So in humans, how many chromosomes would be up for meisos? 46 pairs right? :hmmm: Yes, prior to meiosis the 23 pairs replicate to produce 46 pairs.

How many cells would then be produced after meiosis is complete? 4, but with each cell with 23 chromosomes? Yes, 23 chromosomes (n).
Posted from TSR Mobile

In a standard diploid (2n) body cell there are 46 chromosomes, that is, 23 homologous pairs (1 parental and 1 maternal).
Before meiosis, DNA replicates: 46 (2n) becomes 92 chromosomes (4n). In meiosis I, homologous pairs are separated to produce 2 daughter cells, each containing 46 chromosomes. Finally in meiosis 2 this halves again to produce 4 daughter cells, each with 23 chromosomes (n).

Does that make sense?
Original post by AnnekaChan173
I'm more or less doing what you're doing, except I've made my notes and I'm doing practice questions as I go. Still need to finish my notes on Dopamine though. Do you wanna link that stretch and challenge notes thingy?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c846q4mj16g26ek/f215%20stretch%20and%20challenge%20ideas.docx?dl=0

They seem to be based on the mark schemes to some of the stranger legacy/past spec questions. :smile:
Original post by HeyThereHarry
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c846q4mj16g26ek/f215%20stretch%20and%20challenge%20ideas.docx?dl=0

They seem to be based on the mark schemes to some of the stranger legacy/past spec questions. :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 743
Hey guys, I'm retaking my F212 aswell as my F214 and F215 and there's so much content to remember! How is everyone revising for these exams? :smile:
Reply 744
Does anyone have idea of the differences between a synapse and a neuromuscular junction?

There are the obvious ones (S= neurone and neurone, NMJ= neurone and muscle) but it is marked out in the specification and the textbook doesn't really have any comments on it?
I was wondering whether there were anymore, more specific ones that we should know?

Also when I have googled this question some of the answers have been contradictory to the textbook, such as saying that NMJ only use acetylcholine as a neurotransmitter whereas in the textbook it says that sympathetic neurones secrete the neurotransmitter noradrenaline between the neurone and the effector?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Glh96
Does anyone have idea of the differences between a synapse and a neuromuscular junction?

There are the obvious ones (S= neurone and neurone, NMJ= neurone and muscle) but it is marked out in the specification and the textbook doesn't really have any comments on it?
I was wondering whether there were anymore, more specific ones that we should know?

Also when I have googled this question some of the answers have been contradictory to the textbook, such as saying that NMJ only use acetylcholine as a neurotransmitter whereas in the textbook it says that sympathetic neurones secrete the neurotransmitter noradrenaline between the neurone and the effector?

Thanks in advance!

At the neuromuscular junction - in other words, the synapse between the postganglionic neurone and the effector, the neurotransmitter is acetylcholine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glh96

Thanks in advance!

NMJ only has acetylcholine as the neurotransmitter while S has acetylcholine + many others

S is between 2 neurons while NMJ is between a neuron and muscle

S requires many action potentials to cause deporisation while the NMJ requires only one
+ S has many enzymes to breakdown the neurotransmitters
Original post by AnnekaChan173

I don't suppose you know a website where I can access all of the legacy papers for F214 and F215? I think it's called central concepts or something??

Original post by buxtonarmy
I don't suppose you know a website where I can access all of the legacy papers for F214 and F215? I think it's called central concepts or something??

Sorry to intrude- but they're on the OCR website! Just go to past papers and at the top it says Legacy Qualifications, you have to download the folders and the Central Concepts papers are in there :smile:
Original post by ums maestro
You know alleles, they are just mutations of the normal genes innit? :hmmm:

How do we know which is the normal gene and which is an allele? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of a "normal" gene that is normally the dominant one (in a dominant-recessive interaction) as the recessive gene is a mutation resulting in a loss of function.

However, we use allele to just mean a version of a gene. So there is a gene that codes for eye colour and the versions of that gene are Brown (B) and blue (b). They are both alleles but in terms of the "normal" one, the B allele is the standard, unmutated allele.
Original post by newrecord
Sorry to intrude- but they're on the OCR website! Just go to past papers and at the top it says Legacy Qualifications, you have to download the folders and the Central Concepts papers are in there :smile:

What are these central concept papers?????
Can someone explain grade boundaries to me , does it matter how far your into an A to get the ums mark ?? So does the ums make a difference so once your passed the threshold it doesn't matter if you got a high A or Low A n you'll get the same UMS mark

Thanks in advance
Original post by tomixox
What are these central concept papers?????

They're basically the papers from the old course, but most of the topics are the same so you can use them as practice questions :smile:
Original post by TheLegalDealer
Can someone explain grade boundaries to me , does it matter how far your into an A to get the ums mark ?? So does the ums make a difference so once your passed the threshold it doesn't matter if you got a high A or Low A n you'll get the same UMS mark

Thanks in advance

You get a raw mark, this is the exact mark you get on the paper. It is then converted into UMS according to how well everyone did. Every raw mark will have an associate UMS mark. It does matter how far you go into an A. You can get 80/100 UMS all the way up to 100/100 UMS if you have an A.

Hey at the end of that link there's a list of topics, are these what are expected to come up? :O Also who created that list a student/teacher?

Thanks for tht link btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
does anyone have any predictions for the f214 + f215 exams?
Original post by bakedbeans247
Hey at the end of that link there's a list of topics, are these what are expected to come up? :O Also who created that list a student/teacher?

Thanks for tht link btw.

I just replied to you in the comments section but I'll do it here as well haha:

Yeah, but I don't think that's relevant for us because I don't think this document was created all that recently. I'm not sure who made it :smile:
Original post by Boris Djouari
does anyone have any predictions for the f214 + f215 exams?

I'm unsure about f214, but i'm having strong feelings about galapagos islands and innate behaviour for f215
I just replied to you in the comments section but I'll do it here as well haha:

Yeah, but I don't think that's relevant for us because I don't think this document was created all that recently. I'm not sure who made it :smile:

Ahh no :frown:

haha i was pretty happy to find a predictions list as i've still got a lot to revise.

So what do you think will come up? :wink:
Original post by Glh96
Thanks in advance!

Original post by TheLegalDealer
NMJ only has acetylcholine as the neurotransmitter while S has acetylcholine + many others

S is between 2 neurons while NMJ is between a neuron and muscle

S requires many action potentials to cause deporisation while the NMJ requires only one
+ S has many enzymes to breakdown the neurotransmitters

I personally wouldn't state this. NMJ also has enzymes to break down neurotransmitters, in fact AChE is said to work rapidly at the NMJ. Does the book say anything about many APs being needed to cause depolarisation? I know it talks about many impulses leading to a larger output (summation). Makes sense, but I don't think it would be a marking point or an AVP. Naming some of the others may help also (dopamine, serotonin etcetc). At S, depolarisation leads to the transmission of another action potential, while at a NMJ, it leads to muscle contraction. You could talk about which membrane is depolarised too? Yeaaaaah, can't think of anything else really.

Original post by buxtonarmy

Good thing the other person replied, since I was wondering myself hahah! I'm using questions that I got from school, personally. Physics and Maths tutor has a load of questions too arranged in module packs, if that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending