The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nah **** that. There should be enough trust in the relationship anyway. But if push comes to shove then by all means check it, nothing to hide and so should it be vise versa.
Original post by Bobbi!

About a month ago his phone went off in the night and woke me but not him. I looked at it with out asking because it kept flashing, I didn't know if it would be urgent and a little bit of "who the f is texting at this time!?" It was his male friend, so nothing to worry about but I did tell my BF to pass on the message not to wake us up! I don't think it was a problem that I looked at the message. If I was in the bath and my phone went off, he'd do the same. We have nothing to hide!

And he didn't turn his phone off because...? :s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by OU Student

We both use alarms on our phones.
Reply 43
quite simply, no, I don't.
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
So im wondering, ive started going out with this girl and I was talking to a mate of myne who is in a long term realtionship. He told me he checks his girlfriends texts and facebook on a regular basis and he asks her about which guys shes been talking to at work, is this normal ?

If you're doing that you probably shouldn't have a girlfriend at this time in your life. Studies come first, and when you're at Uni there's a whole other world of pushva.
No because a) I'm single and b) I'm not an invasive, controlling sociopath.
So im wondering, ive started going out with this girl and I was talking to a mate of myne who is in a long term realtionship. He told me he checks his girlfriends texts and facebook on a regular basis and he asks her about which guys shes been talking to at work, is this normal ?

Thats pretty weird tbh, Its okay to use each others phones and facebook sometimes but, not to check up on them. Relationships are built on trust, if theres no trust you wont ever be happy and peaceful with each other :smile:
Original post by OU Student

Who the Hell turns their phone off, Bruv?
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Who the Hell turns their phone off, Bruv?

Oddly enough me. Because some of us don't want to be woken up.

That isn't normal.
My ex was completely batty over stuff like this, paranoid.

I've never been like that, just make it very clear that if she so much as kisses the bloke then she's dumped.
Original post by Zander01
Yeah sometimes but I don't get mad or anything. I just laugh at the feeble attempts of other guys

It is possible for a guy and a girl to just be friends, ya know.

Anyway, of course not.
I have no right to. At all.

Only the weakest, most pathetic, sorry excuse for a partner would do something like that.

Neither partner has ANY right to do that, you do not 'own' who you're with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WhisperingTide
It is possible for a guy and a girl to just be friends, ya know.

Oh you naive young fool.

Yes they can be friends. But most of the time, that's because the guy got friendzoned and he is clinging to the hope that she might one day like him. I take it you fall into this category?
Original post by Zander01
Oh you naive young fool.

Yes they can be friends. But most of the time, that's because the guy got friendzoned and he is clinging to the hope that she might one day like him. I take it you fall into this category?

Ohhh, kitty's got claws.
You assume something negative about me because I disagree with you? Or is it because you can't see how you could possibly see how one could be friends with someone of the opposite gender?

Anyway, nah, I don't think it's naive to identify something that legitimately can happen.
Way I see it, there are guys out there than can't be friends with girls, but that's usually because they are thinking with their dicks, they lack a lot of depth and complexity.

I have a girlfriend, she has guy friends, I have female friends. I think it just depends on how grown-up you are. And, on a much deeper level, is related to the three human demeanors.
(I-It is likely to just want sex. I-They and, especially, I-Thou is likely to see humans as a chance for meaningful interaction, before sex.)

One of my best friends is female, she's like a sister to me, I wouldn't get into a relationship with her if she asked me.

People are so much more than sex and money. And too often that's over looked. Too often we don't see the value of what's in somebodies story, because of what's in their pants.

Anyway, this is getting somewhat off topic.

Point is, if you honestly don't feel males and females can interact meaningfully without it boiling down to lust or infatuation, then you are missing and entire spectrum of human experience and understanding.
I don't go through his Faceook, and unless I'm trolling someone from his phone (which almost never happens!) I don't go through his texts. I trust him enough that I don't feel the need to be checking up on him all of the time.

Asking about what people they've been talking to at work is very controlling :erm:
(edited 8 years ago)
I go to a boarding college, and in my first year I had to share a 3 man room. We all got issued laptops, and if someone was to leave their laptop on there was a custom of "schoolboying" them (eg writing emails, going on their Facebook and messaging people etc, so called because leaving your laptop on is a schoolboy mistake.)

One day one of my roommates who I'd recently fallen out with left his laptop on. I took the opportunity to go onto Facebook to mess around with his profile, only to realise that it was his girlfriends. Many people would have stopped at this point, but not me.

I started off by adding to the top 50 suggested friends. Then I changed her cover photo to a picture of Nicolas Cage on the moon. Finally, I changed her profile picture to a badly photoshopped (or MS painted) picture of my roommate, in the style of the then popular doge meme. He was obsessed with the gym, and it was labelled with text such as "wow, such gains" "brotein" & "much weight".

Needless to say, my roommates girlfriend wasn't happy and neither was my roommate.

TL;DR If you have trust issues then lock your computer.
Original post by hannahhaworth
If you don't trust someone you shouldn't be with them. I've just had a massive epiphany myself from typing that.

i agree, trust is the base of a relationship. if you can't trust someone, u shouldn't b with them. if u truly love the person u r with, then u would know in ur heart that they would never cheat on u wen ur back is turned. they may talk to other guys, but they know their limits and where to draw the line.

tip: don't go thru ur girlfriends messages, that is really controlling behaviour.
Reply 57

I don't check it because he never posts anything :tongue: on a serious note if your friend checks that regularly it sounds like he has an obsession, which is a bit creepy
Reply 58
The only reason I go on my girlfriend's facebook and phone is to wind her up by texting her mates and fraping her.
Her Facebook and messages are none of your business. Same as your's are none of hers...

Latest

Trending

Trending