The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louieja
yes so you're saying that global warming is an issue, but its not as important as you getting to eat a nice tasting burger? becoming vegan would help with fixing climate change more than i think you think it would.

Lool not really..If we eat beef...we're killing cows...
Cows are one of the largest sources of methane...which is a greenhouse gas
So in a way it's better
Do we have just molars liken horses who eat full veg
No. God gave us canines for a reason
Reply 81
Original post by MsFahima
There are plenty more ways to solve global warming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not really. what makes you say that? im not saying that veganism alone would save global warming, but theres not saving global warming without veganism involved
Original post by louieja
not really. what makes you say that? im not saying that veganism alone would save global warming, but theres not saving global warming without veganism involved

Exactly. Veganism alone won't solve the problem. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by omarkhatri
Lool not really..If we eat beef...we're killing cows...
Cows are one of the largest sources of methane...which is a greenhouse gas
So in a way it's better
Do we have just molars liken horses who eat full veg
No. God gave us canines for a reason

yh but theres only so many cows because we farm them to eat. there wouldnt be all these cows if we didnt eat meat. the methane that comes from the cows is a big problem, its 85 to 100 x more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2. when you reduce CO2 emissions, the CO2 in the atmoshpere doesnt drop for a long time after that, but if methane emissions are reduced then the methane in the atmosphere drops much quicker, therefore, stopping eating meat is a much faster fix. also, 91% of the amzon that has been cut down so far has been to make space for raising livestock and growing their feed crops, imagine how much CO2 those trees could have absorbed. theres more that i could add but im tired, if you really want to know about this stuff watch cowspiracy
Reply 84
Exactly. Veganism alone won't solve the problem. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, buy you wont solve the problem without veganism. if you can massively reduce your contribution to the problem in such an easy way, why dont you do it?
Original post by louieja
yes, buy you wont solve the problem without veganism. if you can massively reduce your contribution to the problem in such an easy way, why dont you do it?

Because steak. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louieja
yh but theres only so many cows because we farm them to eat. there wouldnt be all these cows if we didnt eat meat. the methane that comes from the cows is a big problem, its 85 to 100 x more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2. when you reduce CO2 emissions, the CO2 in the atmoshpere doesnt drop for a long time after that, but if methane emissions are reduced then the methane in the atmosphere drops much quicker, therefore, stopping eating meat is a much faster fix. also, 91% of the amzon that has been cut down so far has been to make space for raising livestock and growing their feed crops, imagine how much CO2 those trees could have absorbed. theres more that i could add but im tired, if you really want to know about this stuff watch cowspiracy

Okay I agree with you...
But answer this...why do we have canines if we're not men to eat meat?
Ramadhans round the corner boi...im gna be munching on it a lot during iftaar...
Reply 88
Because steak. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well thats all well and good, but you'll regret laughing at vegans when the whole world is ****ed from global warming
Original post by louieja
well thats all well and good, but you'll regret laughing at vegans when the whole world is ****ed from global warming

Omg. I'm not laughing at vegans. Jheez. Calm down!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ramadhans round the corner boi...im gna be munching on it a lot during iftaar...

Same here. Bring it on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same here. Bring it on!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When bakra eid comes though :biggrin: :tongue:
When bakra eid comes though :biggrin: :tongue:

Hehe. That's gonna be a good one :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hehe. That's gonna be a good one :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You inviting louieja for iftaar? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by louieja

When the whole world is ****ed from global warming, it's not really going to be because humans eat meat. They've been doing that since day 1.
I can't understand why you find it so hard to accept that humans are OMNIvorous animals, and as OMNIvorous animals we will eat anything. That's just how we were made. So how can it be wrong?

Why is it wrong that we have simply learned more complex and efficient methods of predation than other species?
I understand that humans have morals that animals do not, but why should eating meat fall under the "immoral" category when it is simply human nature.
Wait, hold on...how will reducing our consumption of meat help to reduce global warming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Okay I agree with you...
But answer this...why do we have canines if we're not men to eat meat?

firstly, just say that us having canine teeth did mean we are naturally meant to eat some amount of meat , we live in a world where it is possible to live a healthy life not eating meat, and if this allows us to reduce the suffering in the world then why not?

but, almost all mammals have canine teeth, even herbivores. canine teeth dont mean your natural diet is meat. hippos have the largest canine teeth of any land mammal but are herbivorous.

there are many features that mammalian carnivores and omnivores dont share with us, and many features we share with mammalian herbivores, i'll list a few.

carnivores and omnivores; wide mouth relative to head size; simple jaw joint, good for slicing food but not good for side to side motion; spaced out teeth to prevent stringy debris becoming stuck in between, sharpd claws; huge stomachs to allow gorging which is good if you only make one kill every now and then; low stomach pH for break down of proteins and to kill bacteria present in meat.

herbivores; fleshy lips with small mouth opening relative to head size; thick muscular tongue; less stable jaw joint suited for side to side movement for chewing, crushing and grinding; lack sharp claws; smaller stomach; higher gut pH; longer small intestines for breakdown of carbohydrates in plants.

people resemble herbivores much more than carnivores or omnivores
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Omg. I'm not laughing at vegans. Jheez. Calm down!

Posted from TSR Mobile

im fully calm, but you are laughing, i made some big long point about how important it is and then you go, yh but steak with a little laughing face next to it. im not having a go, but you were joking about veganism
Reply 98
Original post by louieja
firstly, just say that us having canine teeth did mean we are naturally meant to eat some amount of meat , we live in a world where it is possible to live a healthy life not eating meat, and if this allows us to reduce the suffering in the world then why not?

but, almost all mammals have canine teeth, even herbivores. canine teeth dont mean your natural diet is meat. hippos have the largest canine teeth of any land mammal but are herbivorous.

there are many features that mammalian carnivores and omnivores dont share with us, and many features we share with mammalian herbivores, i'll list a few.
/snip/

Please tell me that you're not seriously trying to argue now that humans aren't really omnivores.
Tbh, global warming is a massive problem and if it genuinely - I mean 109% certain that it would help to solve this issue then as much as I adore chicken I would be more than willing to give this up.

My inner carnivore is going against me but I think, despite being all for myself sometimes....I won't be selfish.

Yes all of you who are stating that you'd rather digest a piece of meat than contribute to the world as a whole in order to provide a better future are SELFISH. :smile: There are many other varieties of food which are available as a substitute and personally I'm sure I'll get over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest