The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by CD223
That makes sense! But then again I guess we could say that discrepancy between estimates of the age of the universe is due to uncertainty in H0{H_0}?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the hubble constant value is different according to different sources. I think AQA have it at 65 haha
Reply 801
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah the hubble constant value is different according to different sources. I think AQA have it at 65 haha

Yeah they do. Is there an accuracy that they want it to be in when you convert it to s1s^{-1}?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, could anyone doing astrophysics help me on chapter 2.3 Summary Question 4 I cant seem to get the right answer
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 803
Original post by CD223
Yeah they do. Is there an accuracy that they want it to be in when you convert it to s1s^{-1}?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the answer is supposed to come out at about 15000billion years
Reply 804
Original post by frankiejayx
Hi, could anyone doing astrophysics help me on chapter 2.3 Summary Question 4c I cant seem to get the right answer

[br]P=σAT4[br][br]P=\sigma A T^{4}[br]

[br]TX=4,000K[br]TY=8,000K[br]TZ=20,000K[br]MX=2[br]MY=+4[br]MZ=+10[br][br]{T_X} = 4,000K[br]{T_Y} = 8,000K[br]{T_Z} = 20,000K[br]{M_X} = -2[br]{M_Y} = +4[br]{M_Z} = +10[br]

The surface area is proportional to the diameter squared, so:

[br]AXAZ=(DXDZ)2[br][br]\dfrac{{A_X}}{{A_Z}} = \left(\dfrac{{D_X}}{{D_Z}}\right)^{2}[br]

As in the course notes, the equation for ratios can be re-written as:

[br]PXPZ=(DXDZ)2(TXTZ)4[br][br]\dfrac{{P_X}}{{P_Z}} = \left(\dfrac{{D_X}}{{D_Z}}\right)^{2} \left(\dfrac{{T_X}}{{T_Z}}\right)^{4} [br]

The power output ratio is dependent on the absolute magnitude difference between the two stars.

There is a difference of (100)15(100)^{\frac{1}{5}} between each magnitude due to the logarithmic scale.

In which case, as there is a difference of 12 magnitudes between X and Z:

[br]PXPZ=(100)125[br][br]\dfrac{{P_X}}{{P_Z}} = (100)^{\frac{12}{5}}[br]

So for X and Z:

[br](100)125=(DXDZ)2(4,00020,000)4[br][br](100)^{\frac{12}{5}} = \left(\dfrac{{D_X}}{{D_Z}}\right)^{2} \left(\dfrac{{4,000}}{{20,000}}\right)^{4} [br]

From which the ratio:

[br]DXDZ[br][br]\dfrac{{D_X}}{{D_Z}}[br]

can be found.

If you do the same with the figures for Y and Z, you'll end up with answers of:

[br]DXDZ=6300[br][br]\dfrac{{D_X}}{{D_Z}} = 6300[br]

and

[br]DYDZ=100[br][br]\dfrac{{D_Y}}{{D_Z}} = 100[br]

Long post (sorry), but hope it helps. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 805
Original post by JJBinn
I think the answer is supposed to come out at about 15000billion years

Yeah :smile: although my teacher said estimates for H0{H_0} can vary from 50 to 100 depending on the source, and as the rate is accelerating the value is subject to change as time goes on, producing a graph of V against D with a curved gradient instead of a straight line haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 806
Is the ratio of:

[br]number of γ photons incident on a detectornumber of γ photons produced by a source[br][br]\dfrac{number\ of\ \gamma\ photons\ incident\ on\ a\ detector}{number\ of\ \gamma\ photons\ produced\ by\ a\ source}[br]

Always equal to:
[br]surface area of detector4πr2[br][br]\dfrac{surface\ area\ of\ detector}{4 \pi r^{2}}[br]
?

Also, for the equation:

[br]I=kI0x2[br][br]I=\dfrac{k{I_0}}{x^2}[br]

Does II represent the activity and count rate? Because doesn't

[br]I=PowerArea[br][br]I = \dfrac{Power}{Area}[br]
?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
Is the ratio of:

[br]number of γ photons incident on a detectornumber of γ photons produced by a source[br][br]\dfrac{number\ of\ \gamma\ photons\ incident\ on\ a\ detector}{number\ of\ \gamma\ photons\ produced\ by\ a\ source}[br]

Always equal to:
[br]surface area of detector4πr2[br][br]\dfrac{surface\ area\ of\ detector}{4 \pi r^{2}}[br]
?

Also, for the equation:

[br]I=kI0x2[br][br]I=\dfrac{k{I_0}}{x^2}[br]

Does II represent the activity and count rate? Because doesn't

[br]I=PowerArea[br][br]I = \dfrac{Power}{Area}[br]
?

Hello

I believe the answer to the first ratio you were asking about can be found in Q13b)i) in the following link.

http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/Q&A/KS5/radioactivity/Q13.html

I'm afraid I do not know the answer to the second ratio yet, I will keep trying 😊
Reply 808
Original post by Disney0702
Hello

I believe the answer to the first ratio you were asking about can be found in Q13b)i) in the following link.

http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/Q&A/KS5/radioactivity/Q13.html

I'm afraid I do not know the answer to the second ratio yet, I will keep trying 😊

Hello! Thank you for that - it really helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 809
For determining the radius of a nucleus, how is the following equation found? I know it's electron diffraction and that:

[br]sinθ=0.61λR[br][br]\sin\theta = \dfrac{0.61\lambda}{R}[br]

Can be rewritten as:

[br]sinθ=1.22λD[br][br]\sin\theta = \dfrac{1.22\lambda}{D}[br]

For the radius R, or diameter D of a nucleus, but how is this derived from the diffraction pattern?

In the CGP guide it says: "This is where the first minimum appears":
Is it related to the single slit diffraction pattern we did last year?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431853044.282049.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
Anyone gathered together the grade boundaries for the past papers to see which are the most difficult?
Reply 811
Original post by 0151
Anyone gathered together the grade boundaries for the past papers to see which are the most difficult?

The grade boundaries don't necessarily indicate a harder paper. Last year's paper was manageable compared to previous years and the boundaries were ridiculously low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 812
Original post by 0151

Had nothing to do while watching tv so, unit five grade boundaries (for the astrophysics option - I might do them for the others if I have spare time but no promises).

phya5a boundaries.png
Reply 813
Original post by Lau14
Had nothing to do while watching tv so, unit five grade boundaries (for the astrophysics option - I might do them for the others if I have spare time but no promises).

phya5a boundaries.png

Oh cool thank you! May I nab these for the first post please? :biggrin:

I wasn't aware they varied with each option lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 814
Original post by CD223
Oh cool thank you! May I nab these for the first post please? :biggrin:

I wasn't aware they varied with each option lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course!

They must do because the optional bits can change, but I can't say I've ever checked!
Reply 815
Original post by Lau14
Of course!

They must do because the optional bits can change, but I can't say I've ever checked!

True - how's your revision going?:smile: do you have many papers left?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this thread only for astrophysicists? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 817
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Is this thread only for astrophysicists? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all! All options - there just seems to be a bit of a bias towards Astro as that's what the majority of people on this thread so far seem to be doing - although medical/turning points/applied options are welcome! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Not at all! All options - there just seems to be a bit of a bias towards Astro as that's what the majority of people on this thread so far seem to be doing - although medical/turning points/applied options are welcome! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 819
Original post by CD223
True - how's your revision going?:smile: do you have many papers left?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still pretty much ignoring physics, I've got 3 PHYA5 and 2 PHYA4 papers left and I'd like to go through and try most of the six markers again at some point. You? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending