The Student Room Group

MCQ: Oral Contraceptive Rash

Hi, I hope you won't mind helping me with another question I'm unsure about,
there isnt much information in the question, instinct tells me go for uticaria but I dont have much reasoning behind it, possibly allergic reaction as well I'd expect it to occur earlier than 3 days, i think i can safely exclude stevens johnson syndrome because she would be severly unwell,

Thank you!
22 Year old female goes to GP and gets oral contraceptivepill. 3 days later she develops 4 lesions on her skin: These are
A An allergic reaction to the oral contraceptive pill
B Erythema nodosum
C Erythema multiforme
D Steven Johnson syndrome
E Urticaria
Original post by Cannula
Hi, I hope you won't mind helping me with another question I'm unsure about,
there isnt much information in the question, instinct tells me go for uticaria but I dont have much reasoning behind it, possibly allergic reaction as well I'd expect it to occur earlier than 3 days, i think i can safely exclude stevens johnson syndrome because she would be severly unwell,

Thank you!
22 Year old female goes to GP and gets oral contraceptivepill. 3 days later she develops 4 lesions on her skin: These are
A An allergic reaction to the oral contraceptive pill
B Erythema nodosum
C Erythema multiforme
D Steven Johnson syndrome
E Urticaria

Skin reactions can occur with both the combined (http://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current/7-obstetrics-gynaecology-and-urinary-tract-disorders/73-contraceptives/731-combined-hormonal-contraceptives/combined-hormonal-contraceptives) and progestogen-only (http://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current/7-obstetrics-gynaecology-and-urinary-tract-disorders/73-contraceptives/732-progestogen-only-contraceptives/7321-oral-progestogen-only-contraceptives/oral-progestogen-only-contraceptives) oral contraceptives.
The OCP is known to cause erythema nodosum, which is also likely to present as a few discrete skin lesions as described by the stem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending