The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

She should go to the planes of Africa and see what happens. Survival of the fittest, you think that chicken wouldn't eat us if it could?
Original post by Snooppuppy420
Okay think about it this way. There's a guy who lives a normal life, and he happens to eat a lot of meat. Although he doesn't realize it he just so happens to be doing the following. Supporting companies that murder innocent animals, contributing to global warming which will ultimately destroy our planet and finally increasing the chances of himself developing heart disease. The later of which not only negatively effects himself, but also takes away medical resources from other people who need it that didn't put themselves in that situation. Obviously it's understandable for somebody who doesn't know what they are doing is morally wrong, to continue living this way. But for someone who now knows better, but refuses to do anything about it is another story.

This is exactly my problem...

I choose to eat meat because I want to, because it is something I like to eat. I don't care if a person wants to refrain from eating meat or have a vegan lifestyle. I am happy to accept that, and I would NEVER try to force them to eat meat. It is simply a lifestyle they don't want, so I accept that.

But this force...of saying that I am actually doing something wrong, that I am destroying the World. Quite frankly I don't appreciate it. There are plenty of people who have other lifestyles that are also destroying the world. I don't force them to change.

Let me put it this way:

How many vegan/vegetarians drive cars? - Those driving vegans are contributing to global warming. I don't drive, and I could very easily be forceful about the use of public transport.

How many vegan/vegetarians go on holiday? - Those giant planes are contributing to global warming. I've never been on a commercial plane - but I wouldn't stop them having a good holiday.

How many vegan/vegetarians eat vegetables? - Those vegetables destroy our landscapes, which will turn our beautiful green World into row upon row of dusty unusable land. I don't try to stop them eating vegetables.

And there are plenty more examples like this...

Do you see what I'm getting at?

There are plenty of things in the world that are considered wrong, or destructive, by certain people. But it doesn't mean anyone has a right to get them to change.
Original post by physicst
That is something which deserve a whole new thread for discussion.

:yy:
Original post by big_dreamer
I really don't understand how people can say plants have emotions, they DO NOT have a nervous system, do you see them cry, jump around or make noises?

And, if your argument is that people used to hunt for meat so it is right to eat it and because many in the past survived on meat. They physically hunted for their food, they did not go to a supermarket and buy the meat washed and cleaned and chopped nicely for them. So, I dare you to go to the wilderness and physically kill a animal and eat its flesh because thats what they did. And, unless you do that which I highly doubt then the argument is invalid.

- The smell of freshly cut grass is actually a warning let off by the grass to let others know there is danger.
- Plants release chemicals when in 'pain'.
- Caffeine in coffee beans is a natural pesticide to stop animals from eating them. A deterrent to stop them being killed - because clearly they don't want to be.

They may not have a nervous system, but they have methods of communication, and they are aware of what is happening to them. Just because it isn't pain in the sense that we know it, plants are still living organisms at the end of the day.

And vegetarians totally go foraging for their vegetables and fruit. :erm:
I can't think of a justification for my meat eating. I just do it because I enjoy it and it's legal.

I think vegetarians/vegans are superior to me morally.
Although her argument is pretty extreme it's stupid when people say oh meat is tasty that's why I'll keep eating it, that doesn't make it morally right. Also yes animals kill other animals but that's to survive usually, humans don't need to kill animals to survive. It's not like we need to base our lives on what they do anyway. I don't feel self righteous about it or anything, but I just feel uncomfortable eating something that was once living, with feelings & everything. Peace out :smile:
Original post by Multitalented me
Although her argument is pretty extreme it's stupid when people say oh meat is tasty that's why I'll keep eating it, that doesn't make it morally right. Also yes animals kill other animals but that's to survive usually, humans don't need to kill animals to survive. It's not like we need to base our lives on what they do anyway. I don't feel self righteous about it or anything, but I just feel uncomfortable eating something that was once living, with feelings & everything. Peace out :smile:

Arguments like these sometimes make me feel like everyone forgets that plants are alive:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillybop
This is exactly my problem...

I choose to eat meat because I want to, because it is something I like to eat. I don't care if a person wants to refrain from eating meat or have a vegan lifestyle. I am happy to accept that, and I would NEVER try to force them to eat meat. It is simply a lifestyle they don't want, so I accept that.

But this force...of saying that I am actually doing something wrong, that I am destroying the World. Quite frankly I don't appreciate it. There are plenty of people who have other lifestyles that are also destroying the world. I don't force them to change.

Let me put it this way:

How many vegan/vegetarians drive cars? - Those driving vegans are contributing to global warming. I don't drive, and I could very easily be forceful about the use of public transport.

How many vegan/vegetarians go on holiday? - Those giant planes are contributing to global warming. I've never been on a commercial plane - but I wouldn't stop them having a good holiday.

How many vegan/vegetarians eat vegetables? - Those vegetables destroy our landscapes, which will turn our beautiful green World into row upon row of dusty unusable land. I don't try to stop them eating vegetables.

And there are plenty more examples like this...

Do you see what I'm getting at?

There are plenty of things in the world that are considered wrong, or destructive, by certain people. But it doesn't mean anyone has a right to get them to change.

:yy:

Just because you like doing something doesn't make it okay. Hitler liked killing jews was it okay for him to do so because he liked it? Like I said the meat industry is the largest contributor to global warming, it contributes more than all of the things mentioned combined. The other things don't lead to the murder of millions of animals. The thing you said about destroying our landscape is irrelevant as less land would be required as we wouldn't need to grow crops to feed the animals we butcher.
Original post by Andy98
Arguments like these sometimes make me feel like everyone forgets that plants are alive:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do plants feel pain though? :smile:
Original post by m-hussain
And we do as we are omnivores

Posted from TSR Mobile

So your saying because we have digestive enzymes capable of breaking down animal fats and proteins it's okay for us to murder millions of animals when we don't need to? Are you saying it's okay for you to eat children because your an omnivore?
x

Great post, you can add medication that's been tested on animals to that as well.
Original post by ChickenMadness
humans are animals lol.

But we're also more than animals, as I'm sure you'd agree. No other species of animal would have typed either of these comments.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
But we're also more than animals, as I'm sure you'd agree. No other species of animal would have typed either of these comments.

So you're saying it's okay for us to eat babies simply because as adults we are more intelligent. That is the only thing that makes us "more than animals"
Original post by Multitalented me
Do plants feel pain though? :smile:

It hasn't been proven either way. Everyone's always assumed they don't and never really tested it as far as I'm aware

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're saying it's okay for us to eat babies simply because as adults we are more intelligent. That is the only thing that makes us "more than animals"

No, I'm saying it's not okay for us to do things like eat babies, because we are capable of more abstract moral thought than, for example, gorillas, which often do commit infanticide. I think you may have misunderstood what point I was trying to support.
- The smell of freshly cut grass is actually a warning let off by the grass to let others know there is danger.
- Plants release chemicals when in 'pain'.
- Caffeine in coffee beans is a natural pesticide to stop animals from eating them. A deterrent to stop them being killed - because clearly they don't want to be.

They may not have a nervous system, but they have methods of communication, and they are aware of what is happening to them. Just because it isn't pain in the sense that we know it, plants are still living organisms at the end of the day.

And vegetarians totally go foraging for their vegetables and fruit. :erm:

Are you saying that plants are now superior to animals. Animals feel pain too when they are enslaved in cages and I am sure they feel pain when they die. Yet no one is standing up for them, but for the plants now all of a sudden
Original post by big_dreamer
Are you saying that plants are now superior to animals. Animals feel pain too when they are enslaved in cages and I am sure they feel pain when they die. Yet no one is standing up for them, but for the plants now all of a sudden

No. It just seems stupid how everyone seems to use the argument "it hurts the animals" to support vegetarianism and whatnot - as if they don't know that plants also have feelings in a sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
THAT'S A PROOF BY NATURE FALLACY. Just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean it's right. For example I could argue murder is completely natural because it has been going on since the beginning of time does that make it right? Why should we base are actions and diet choices now, on stuff cavemen? That is literally what you are saying.

Please explain to me why we should eat meat because our ancestors did, when they didn't access to the resources we possess today

Put it this way...
I AM NOT GOING TO STOP EATING MEAT!!
Neither are 99% of the world

You can preach all you want!
Why should we eat vegan just because you say so??

There is famine all over the world because of crop shortages, eating meat if done in a humane way (only getting meat from red tractor and humane sources) is the only way we can feed the population of the world.

How the hell is murder natural, please justify because it is really not. Murder is not natural at all!! Death is but murder is not.

Killing plants is what you want to do, i would rather have a much more well rounded diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
It hasn't been proven either way. Everyone's always assumed they don't and never really tested it as far as I'm aware

Posted from TSR Mobile
As far as I'm aware they are not sentient beings, as they don't have a nervous system & stuff, they can respond to stimuli although that's not the same thing as feeling pain. Anyway I don't actually like talking about this sort of thing like religion for instance, usually people stick to their point of view & I don't exactly want to have massive heated discussions as I'm not the sort of person to enjoy that sort of thing or atmosphere. Each to their own I guess...
Original post by al_94
This woman believes everyone should be a vegan and forced to be one because if you eat meat you don't deserve to live.

Someone needs a cheeky Nandos

Latest