The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm exhausted. I didn't realise how bad it was. I've just slept since 3 and I've woken up all funny and blurgh. So much to do this weekend and all I can do is snooze but I really think I need it.

Trying to create an all singing, all dancing lesson for Tuesday for my final uni tutor observation. My last one was an absolute disaster. Had a practice run with my itt coordinator last week and she absolutely loved the lesson. I wish I had more of my little games up my sleeve.

But at least you know it's because your mentor didn't have time and it's not because you didn't make progress. It'll all be alright in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope so. Just hope my uni mentor agrees! I'm seeing her this week so fingers crossed.

Original post by Grant2007
I would hope that if they were so worried then they would have made time? I would take it as a positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that is making me feel more positive :smile:
Good luck alabelle, I really hope you pass after all this hard work.

I still have five weeks left of placement. As the darling kids like to say, I really cba.
Me too!!!!! Monday 9am eeeeeek
Our uni is being Ofsteded and I'm one of the chosen ones they're coming in to see on Monday.

I feel sick :frown:
Spent the whole weekend so far on my final PGCE essay. I will be glad to see the back of it and forget about the academic side of things for now.
Original post by greenbeans123
Slightly worried that apparently NQT is worse but trying not to think of that.

I'm approaching the end of my NQT year and I haven't felt this way at all. Last year was much harder, due to the balancing of academic requirements, extensive lesson plans etc. I recently found a 3 page lesson plan I'd done last year and couldn't believe the amount of time I must have spent on it!!!
Anyone have any idea for three prizes for my year 7s that isn't chocolate/sweets? I have done a points thing since I started with them and I said the top three would get a prize but I've no idea what. I guess I could go with food but it seems boring. Maybe not to them :lol: .
Original post by Airfairy
Anyone have any idea for three prizes for my year 7s that isn't chocolate/sweets? I have done a points thing since I started with them and I said the top three would get a prize but I've no idea what. I guess I could go with food but it seems boring. Maybe not to them :lol: .

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Tesco party bag toys. Winners' medals, bubbles, pencils with rubbers on etc etc. Never fails and dirt cheap.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Tesco party bag toys. Winners' medals, bubbles, pencils with rubbers on etc etc. Never fails and dirt cheap.

Well the thing is, I do use those types of things for weekly prizes, but I wanted something a bit better for four months worth of points build up that I've been going on about them getting a prize for.
Original post by Airfairy
Well the thing is, I do use those types of things for weekly prizes, but I wanted something a bit better for four months worth of points build up that I've been going on about them getting a prize for.

You're spoiling them! There's always something slightly higher up the cost scale in the same section. Can't go wrong with either stationery (especially for girls) or silly toys (not just boys, but mainly, I'm afraid. The point about gender stereotyping is that is does come from somewhere.)
You're spoiling them! There's always something slightly higher up the cost scale in the same section. Can't go wrong with either stationery (especially for girls) or silly toys (not just boys, but mainly, I'm afraid. The point about gender stereotyping is that is does come from somewhere.)

Yes I guess I could look around the same section for something higher up the scale :P . I'll have to go shopping.

Maybe I am spoiling them but I love this class!! :lol: .
Having a pamper day before getting my head down and working myself to death this week. Ofsted tomorrow, uni mentor observation on Tuesday and job interview on Friday. I've got this.

*hyperventilates*

I think I love you.

:yes:
Having a pamper day before getting my head down and working myself to death this week. Ofsted tomorrow, uni mentor observation on Tuesday and job interview on Friday. I've got this.

*hyperventilates*

Yes, you have. The least of your worries is the Ofsted. It's only about you in the most tangential way. It's your university tutors who will be having a weekend crapping themselves, and you can give yourself permission not to worry about it.
Original post by rachel.h
I think I love you.

:yes:

Who is the lucky recipient of your affection? My notification says you've quoted me, but I wanted to be sure before becoming too smug...
Who is the lucky recipient of your affection? My notification says you've quoted me, but I wanted to be sure before becoming too smug...

I did quote you. Go ahead and be smug!

Wonder what's wrong with my quoting :frown:
Original post by rachel.h
I did quote you. Go ahead and be smug!

Wonder what's wrong with my quoting :frown:

Nothing wrong with it this time.

*preens self smugly*
Original post by greenbeans123
Thanks guys. Will try your suggestions. Glad to hear it is normal. (Slightly worried that apparently NQT is worse but trying not to think of that)

I hoped I'd feel confident or sure of myself by now...instead I feel like I'm close to the summit of Everest, dragging myself up with bloody fingertips, so close yet possibly about to fall 8000m ! :frown:

(Ok, getting a bit melodramatic there!):redface:

I second the poster above - my NQT year had challenges but overall I felt much better than during the PGCE and coped better. I also feel it was because I could focus on just the teaching and getting better at that (even though that is made up of many elements) rather than the academic side too. I still went to monthly sessions where we discussed theory and read stuff but there were no deadlines or work to produce. I like both but I've never been good at splitting my time between two things. Plus having your own class gives you a sort of confidence that you can actually do it, even though the idea seems terrifying for the first week!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I second the poster above - my NQT year had challenges but overall I felt much better than during the PGCE and coped better. I also feel it was because I could focus on just the teaching and getting better at that (even though that is made up of many elements) rather than the academic side too. I still went to monthly sessions where we discussed theory and read stuff but there were no deadlines or work to produce. I like both but I've never been good at splitting my time between two things. Plus having your own class gives you a sort of confidence that you can actually do it, even though the idea seems terrifying for the first week!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the NQT year is very different. You have to balance the lack of university work to do with the sudden unrelenting pressure of a full timetable for a whole year. On the flip side, there is experience and confidence you have from having done at least some of it before and from knowing that the class don't think of you as a student. It's swings and roundabouts.
5 days to go, final uphill struggle today making sure all is good for this week and that ive got everything prepared to hand to my mentor tomorrow!
Yes, the NQT year is very different. You have to balance the lack of university work to do with the sudden unrelenting pressure of a full timetable for a whole year. On the flip side, there is experience and confidence you have from having done at least some of it before and from knowing that the class don't think of you as a student. It's swings and roundabouts.

Yeah, I think it helped that I had the same amount of non-contact time by the end of the PGCE as an NQT. So I didn't have any less free time. Just more to do in it!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending