The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubisoft
Thank god there are no circuits in A2 apart from some capacitors. I'm terrible at them

Yeah, in OCR there is a lot on circuits and capacitors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah, in OCR there is a lot on circuits and capacitors

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're lucky, you should see AQA's spec for next year, looks crazy hard
Original post by ubisoft
We're lucky, you should see AQA's spec for next year, looks crazy hard

I think they are compensating that in june 2015 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1543
I saw this question on OCR physics thread. Is this question not solid? Especially when they ask why A1 is zero.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431815819.536421.jpg

What is the answer to each question? I assume the values switch and A2 becomes zero when the capacitor is charged and A1 becomes 3.0mA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1544
THe first question on EMPA was similar to this when we were ask to tick the box as which direction the current flows

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think we can discuss EMPA answers now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Do you think we can discuss EMPA answers now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, of course man. The deadline for the submission of EMPA by the examiners was the 15th of may so surely everyone had done it even before that date. Also the notice at the top of the page has been taken down, check on the actual website. Having said that, there is no point discussing the EMPA now. I will get the mark scheme on the 25th or 26th of May and i will upload it on here

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1546
Yeah, of course man. The deadline for the submission of EMPA by the examiners was the 25th of may so surely everyone had done it even before that date. Also the notice at the top of the page has been taken down, check on the actual website. Having said that, there is no point discussing the EMPA now. I will get the mark scheme on the 25th or 26th of May and i will upload it on here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean the deadline was the 15th May? Sorry, I think you said 25th instead and got confused.

Oh right! I'd really appreciate it if you could get access to the MS - I'll add it to the first post if you don't mind - just let us know when you have it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Do you mean the deadline was the 15th May? Sorry, I think you said 25th instead and got confused.

Oh right! I'd really appreciate it if you could get access to the MS - I'll add it to the first post if you don't mind - just let us know when you have it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, sorry. The deadline was the 15th :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

And no, i don't mind that. We will see how we messed up :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1549
And no, i don't mind that. We will see how we messed up :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol it wasn't a great paper. I know for certain the ones I've got wrong :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
lol it wasn't a great paper. I know for certain the ones I've got wrong :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i know, the same here.
In the EMPA test which of the options did you tick in the first question as to which direction the current flowed?
Even though that was worth 1 mark it was the most important question for me in that paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
For any of the long answer (6marker) questions for PHYA1 PHYA2 PHYA4 or PHYA5 should you write in bullet points or continuous prose? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1552
Original post by Jed-Singh
For any of the long answer (6marker) questions for PHYA1 PHYA2 PHYA4 or PHYA5 should you write in bullet points or continuous prose? Thanks :smile:

Continuous prose just to be on the safe side. QWC is marked here
At the same time keep it concise
Original post by RA95
Continuous prose just to be on the safe side. QWC is marked here
At the same time keep it concise

Thank you, its just because the mark scheme is bullet pointed I was confused. But yeah I'll write in continuous prose now thanks for your advice
Reply 1554
Yeah i know, the same here.
In the EMPA test which of the options did you tick in the first question as to which direction the current flowed?
Even though that was worth 1 mark it was the most important question for me in that paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said it flowed from C2C2 to YY.

"Current flows from C2 to terminal Y when V2 is max - positive charge flows from positive plate through Y which discharges C2 through R2, producing the dip in the graph"

Although I'm like 90% sure I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there is a point mid way between two parallel plates of two different positive potentials how would i would out the electric field strength at the point??
Original post by frankiejayx
If there is a point mid way between two parallel plates of two different positive potentials how would i would out the electric field strength at the point??

E=V/d for a uniform electric field, find the difference between potentials and then use the equation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1557
Anyone gathered together the grade boundaries for the past papers to see which are the most difficult?
Original post by CD223
I said it flowed from C2C2 to YY.

"Current flows from C2 to terminal Y when V2 is max - positive charge flows from positive plate through Y which discharges C2 through R2, producing the dip in the graph"

Although I'm like 90% sure I'm wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that's 100% correct. I chose the wrong one even though i was thinking right. But C2 was being charged by C1 so when V2 was maximum the electrons were being drawn from the positive plate of the capacitor to terminal Y to the negative plate through R2

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jimmy20002012
E=V/d for a uniform electric field, find the difference between potentials and then use the equation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending