The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics Unit 2 and 3 (20th May)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harryleavey
Hi

Here is a MyGcseScience video describing Nuclear Decay Equations.
https://goo.gl/xeWF0V

:smile:

Thank you, i've been stuck on these for ages, the video helped a lot :smile:
Original post by Moorb
If an alpha particle (2neutrons and 2 protons) is emitted the mass number goes down by 4 and the atomic number goes down by 2. If beta radiation is emitted the mass number stays the same and the atomic number increases by 1 as a neutron turns into a proton and an electron is created too. Forgive me if this is incorrect.

Thank you, I understand now :smile:
Reply 22
I think Transformers might come up as a 6 marker for unit 3 or another bloody advantage and disadvantage question like Biology and Chemistry had! If they're going to be really mean they might give us a 5 mark physics calculation...I HATE maths in physics especially the diving board moments ones! :frown:
Original post by zc555
I think Transformers might come up as a 6 marker for unit 3 or another bloody advantage and disadvantage question like Biology and Chemistry had! If they're going to be really mean they might give us a 5 mark physics calculation...I HATE maths in physics especially the diving board moments ones! :frown:

I agree, like and advantages and disadvantages between a traditional transformer and a switch-mode transformer.
Reply 24
I'm really hoping that transformers are P3 because I have no idea what they are and everybody is talking about them!!!
I'm only doing P2. I hope that there are lots of radiation, momentum and calculation questions. If forces and electricity come up a lot then I will not be passing Ad Science.
I also hope that they give us a decent 6 marker for once and a nice first question, unlike B2 and C2.
Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by zc555

Im sure that came up last year? Or that may have been a 5 marker.
Original post by JG12333

Last year's six mark was a transformer, yeah.

I'm personally hoping for lots of calculations and the six marks being Fission/Fusion or Star Cycle (p2) and Lenses/Eye/Medical Equipment for P3.
Reply 27
Hi

Here is a MyGcseScience video describing Nuclear Decay Equations.
https://goo.gl/xeWF0V

:smile:

Wow thanks so much! Do you have other videos from mygcsescience especially on the topics of forces and electricity from P2?

Oh look even more cramming ahead!
Reply 29
Original post by JG12333

Could you help me out here :smile:

I'm a bit lost with static electricity.. How do you know which way the electrons will be transferring from the materials? And does it only happen with insulating materials?
Original post by Cherx
Could you help me out here :smile:

I'm a bit lost with static electricity.. How do you know which way the electrons will be transferring from the materials? And does it only happen with insulating materials?

Hi

This is everything we need to know about Static Electricity:

When certain insulating materials are rubbed against each other they become electrically charged.

Negatively charged electrons are rubbed off one material and onto the other. The material that gains electrons becomes negativelycharged.

The material that loses electrons is left with an equal positive charge.

When two electrically charged objects are brought together they exert a force on each other.

Two objects that carry the same type of charge repel.Two objects that carry different types of charge attract.

Electrical charges can move easily through some substances, eg metals.

[h="2"]Insulating materials[/h]Metals are good conductors, which means that electric charges move easily through them. Materials such as plastic, wood, glass and polythene are insulators. This means they do not allow electric charges to move through them. However some insulators can become electrically charged when they're rubbed together.

Here is a video from MyGcseScience which may help:
https://goo.gl/VrMM8N
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Hi

This is everything we need to know about Static Electricity:

When certain insulating materials are rubbed against each other they become electrically charged.

Negatively charged electrons are rubbed off one material and onto the other. The material that gains electrons becomes negativelycharged.

The material that loses electrons is left with an equal positive charge.

When two electrically charged objects are brought together they exert a force on each other.

Two objects that carry the same type of charge repel.Two objects that carry different types of charge attract.

Electrical charges can move easily through some substances, eg metals.

Here is a video from MyGcseScience which may help:
https://goo.gl/VrMM8N

Thank you :fluffy:

There's not much to learn then..
Original post by Cherx
Thank you :fluffy:

There's not much to learn then..

Hi

No not really, try not to overcomplicate it.
I have just copied that from the specification.

However it will be the application of the knowledge that is tricky.

:cool:
Reply 33
Hi

No not really, try not to overcomplicate it.
I have just copied that from the specification.

However it will be the application of the knowledge that is tricky.

:cool:

Ah yes the application bit.. I stumble on that. I didn't quite understand the insulator bit so that was very helpful :yy:

I'm just glad that I get a full day without any exams the day before physics :awesome:
Reply 34
I'm worried about physics, we have a bad teacher and we didn't actually finish P2 :/ We spent so long on forces, so by the time it got to what I consider to be the harder parts of the chapter, we didn't even have much time left. Not to mention we spent a grand total of 1 lesson on space/stars (I understand it now though) and never finished electricity, I've been teaching it to myself from the revision guide and past papers.

The one thing I get kind of stuck on is resistance. It's not the equation, it's the things about how 'resistance increases/decreases when other stuff increases/decreases'. I kind of get the stuff about the LDR and Thermistor resistance, but other than that I don't get much of it :frown:
Reply 35
Hey I'm really stuck on momentum. I understand how to do the equation but when it came to answering the written questions in the past papers I'm helpless... Could someone PLEEEEEEEEASE explain what we need to know about for momentum? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Kieran3
Hey I'm really stuck on momentum. I understand how to do the equation but when it came to answering the written questions in the past papers I'm helpless... Could someone PLEEEEEEEEASE explain what we need to know about for momentum? Thanks :smile:

The law of conservation which is basically the momentum before is the same as the momentum after. Would you like to post the question so that I could have a go working through it and explaining it that way?
I effing hate physics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Kieran3

Main things to remember are the conservation rules - the momentum is conserved and it is the SAME before and after. We did it in revision today. My teacher gave us a good example -

There is an object of 0.5kg travelling at a velocity of 1.2m/s. There is another object with mass 1.5kg. They collide. Work out the velocity of the second object and the momentum of the first.

Momentum is mass x velocity. So the first object has momentum of 0.5 x 1.2 = 0.6 kgm/s.

We can then use this to figure out the second objects velocity. Keeping in mind that the forward momentum is equal to the end momentum after the collisions. In this case, we assume a collision means the objects stay together.

The first object has a momentum of 0.6, as will the second, so we apply this to the equation. Baring in mind that they have collided so it is their combined masses.

0.6 = m x v
0.6 = 2 x v
0.3 = v of the second object.

I reckon a question like that will come up. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Thanks a lot this really helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest