The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by big_dreamer
I really am curious what vitamin/mineral do we not get from plants that we can ONLY get from another animal?

I don't mean to be rude but if you're a vegan/vegetarian and you don't already know the answer to this there is something really wrong... Do you even take any of the essential supplements? I think you need to do some research
Original post by Natalierm2707
Tell that to 99% of the human race who eat meat!
How is it not natural, if we go back to the beggining of man on earth, we were one of the top consumers, we hunted and ate animals as it was a better soirce of protein than anything else we could find.

I admire you bejng vegan, but dont force your veiws on us meat eaters, we will still continue to eat meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats not entirely true. Check out this article

http://review.ucsc.edu/fall07/Rev_F07_pp22-23_WeAreWhatTheyAte.pdf
Original post by Stone101
I don't mean to be rude but if you're a vegan/vegetarian and you don't already know the answer to this there is something really wrong... Do you even take any of the essential supplements? I think you need to do some research

Of course I know that ALL vitamins can be obtained from plants. I only take vegan supplements of B12 which in actual fact if someone starts saying that it can only come from a animal, which is wrong, because B12 is essentially only found in bacteria, fungi and algae in the soil and water. So, when animals drink this contaminated water, soil or food that contains the B12, they obtain it.
Reply 223
Original post by GailQ
Well good for you. Guess what? That's YOUR choice, and you're perfectly entitled to it. But you know what else? You're not entitled to tell anyone else what to eat (funny that) and you can call us SELFISH all you want. Honestly, that's your opinion and I don't care.

Here's a reality check. For veganism to have a significant effect on reducing global warming, it would needed to be adopted by a pretty significant majority of the population. Here's a few reasons why that's never going to happen:

1. Old habits die hard - you're going to have a hard time of convincing people to to something as drastic as changing the diet they've always known, especially when it is innate

2. There are a heck of a lot of people living in poverty - who unfortunately don't have the luxury of going to a supermarket for their nicely seasoned tofu. Try telling those people to pick and choose what they eat

3. There are far too many individuals, firms and companies with too much to lose if everyone where to go vegan. The global economy will simply not allow it.

So yes, please do continue to give up meat if you choose to. It may well be a great lifestyle choice. But if you're doing it in the hope that global warming is going to go away anytime soon then don't hold your breath.

its not his opinion that you are being selfish, its fact, by the definition of the word selfish. what you are doing is putting your own wants before the entire lives of animals and the good of the global environment. all your getting out of it is a nice taste in your mouth, but the cost of that is an entire lifetime of an animal being depressed, scared and in pain, and on top of that your really damaging the environment. that is selfish, its not opinion.

changing to a vegan diet really isnt hard, its not drastic, its just changing stubborn peoples minds thats hard. you say its never going to happen, but if it doesnt global warming will **** up the world, so if it doesnt peolpe are actually going to die because of others being stubborn.

the thing you said about poor people has already been addressed pretty well by that other guy, i think you may have perlied, what about hunters etc.we're not talking about hunters, we're talking about people like you, living in developed countries, who have a choice. also, hunters etc make up a tiny percentage of the amount of meat eaten in the world, its not really important so theres no point in mentioning it.

the economy is not more important than the environment, when global warmings effects a fully being felt people arent going to be glad they saved the economy. any way, the economy will be ok, instead of raising cows and stuff, these people can grow crops instead.
Reply 224
Shoot me in the head then. I won't beg for my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

B12 is found in bacteria, soil and water, which animals eat, hence, thats how they obtain it!!

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/b12factsheet.html
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm

Vitamin D- THE SUN.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84 - tells you where to get your omega 3 from soy etc.
Reply 226
Original post by lyrical_lie
It's definitely a thing, but I'd be wary on how it tastes like, plus I live on light Philadelphia when I'm cooking.

i know this is a bit different but i had vegan ice cream yesterday and i promise it was no different to the real thing. im not exagerrating at all. its called booja booja, you should try it
Original post by daydreamer4life
You should try VioLife - it tates amaaaaazing! Also, there are amazing vegan cream cheeses out there. Available in every Holland and Barrett :h:

Hmm I might try it, I know there's one near me, thanks for the info.
Original post by Anon_98
Yeah me too, lol. Oh my - philaddeeelphia + toast = :smile: There are probably vegan versions of that too, do you know what is used as a substitute? - Just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, according the poster who quoted me you can get violife from holland and barretts which is nice, maybe worth a try?
Original post by louieja
i know this is a bit different but i had vegan ice cream yesterday and i promise it was no different to the real thing. im not exagerrating at all. its called booja booja, you should try it

Hmm, I'll have to check it out, I'm not the hugest icecream fan though lol. I actually notice when I'm at farmers markets there's usually a vegan cake stall it always looks tasty!
She's a veggie extremist
Reply 229
I think it should be the other way around. You deserve to eat meat if you die
Reply 230
Original post by ChickenMadness
Not really lol. I eat meat because I need to get my nutrients and protein and it's the most efficient way to do it.

its really not, the last link o posted is to a vegan NFL player, he weighs like 21 stone. one of the guys is a 78 year old vegan body builder. i know the protein thing is often mentioned but its just not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9sfVsBbS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dsS6Znhw5M
http://www.the300poundvegan.com/

Vitamin B12 -Fortified foods(like soya milk), nutritional yeast, seaweed...

Vitamin D3 - SUNLIGHT

Omega 3 - Seafoods, walnuts, flaxseeds
Freelee, the woman in the video actually inspired me to go vegan. But obviously her technique of trying to persuade people just doesn't work. People have been conditioned all their life to think eating animals is ok blabla. Some just need to educate themselves fully and realise what **** they're putting in their body & the effect on the environment, and simply killing millions of animals.
P.S If anyone here is against the legalising of Fox Hunting but happily eats meat/dairy/eggs you're a hypocrite.
But everyone has free will, so do what makes you happy.

Personally i've lost 2 and a half stone & have much more energy on a vegan diet.
Although she has a ****ty personality, she would get it fo sho
Reply 234
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
Stopped reading at "I am a vegan."

Let's see your muscles then, champ :colonhash:

Supporting data? Uhhh when I walk the **** outside? This isn't about supporting data. This is about me arguing with a stranger at the crack of dawn in my arse about a photo he put up of a muscular Olympian with intentions to pass it off as a typical example of a vegan.

when you say, "when i walk outside", how do you know skinny people in the street are vegan? you're just saying that cos its a sterotype, do you know any vegans. im a vegan and im not thin and weak like you said before. the onlny other vegan guy i know is pretty muscley but hes not an athlete, just a normal guy
Original post by louieja
when you say, "when i walk outside", how do you know skinny people in the street are vegan? you're just saying that cos its a sterotype, do you know any vegans. im a vegan and im not thin and weak like you said before. the onlny other vegan guy i know is pretty muscley but hes not an athlete, just a normal guy

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/
Anyone who says vegan cant build muscle
Original post by louieja
why would you rather die than be forced on to a vegan diet? that seems a bit far. did you know that raising livestock is one of the largest (if not the largest) cause of global warming. it is also the leading cause of deforestation (91% of amazon lost so far is due to clearing trees for livestick and their feed crops), ocean dead zones, theres more but i cant think of it, i think its the leading cause of species loss too. it takes up a massive amount of space, half of all the land in the USA is used for raising cattle. one day people are going to be forced to be vegan, so you should start now to reduce the problems eating meat causes

I don't actually eat a lot of meat. Simply through picky eating I've grown up only eating some types of meat occasionally, mostly chicken, and today I don't tend to eat huge amounts of it.

There is definitely a case for some people to cut back on the amount of meat they eat, and that's what makes people like the idiot in the video so frustrating. It means that legitimate and reasonable arguments that meat eaters might listen to and change their diet because of it (even if it's cutting back as opposed to cutting out completely) are not heard because some extremists get most of the attention.

Remember that vegan includes all dairy products and not just meat. I absolutely will not give up things like milk.

louieja

also, with regards to the quality of life of animals in UK farms, you are just assuming that they arent that bad, i know you cannot have even taken 5 minutes to google whether you are right or not, cos if you did, then you would find that you are wrong.

Factory farms are certainly far from ideal, but we do have welfare laws in place, which is often not the case for lots of other countries.
You also have a lot of free range farms, but unfortunately free range can't feed the whole world with meat consumption at its current level. I live in a rural area and have spent a lot of time on those farms.
Reply 237
Original post by RFowler
I don't actually eat a lot of meat. Simply through picky eating I've grown up only eating some types of meat occasionally, mostly chicken, and today I don't tend to eat huge amounts of it.

There is definitely a case for some people to cut back on the amount of meat they eat, and that's what makes people like the idiot in the video so frustrating. It means that legitimate and reasonable arguments that meat eaters might listen to and change their diet because of it (even if it's cutting back as opposed to cutting out completely) are not heard because some extremists get most of the attention.

Remember that vegan includes all dairy products and not just meat. I absolutely will not give up things like milk.

Factory farms are certainly far from ideal, but we do have welfare laws in place, which is often not the case for lots of other countries.
You also have a lot of free range farms, but unfortunately free range can't feed the whole world with meat consumption at its current level. I live in a rural area and have spent a lot of time on those farms.

even cutting back isnt enough to stop global warming, if everyone was to do what you said and just drink milk and a little bit of meat it wouldnt be enough. you should watch cowspiracy, also if youre bothered read farmaggedon. theyll make the point im trying to make way better than i can.

we do not have sufficient regulations in place to prevent animal cruelty on factory farms in the uk, not at all. its easy to find cases where animals have been treated terribly in england
Original post by louieja
its not his opinion that you are being selfish, its fact, by the definition of the word selfish. what you are doing is putting your own wants before the entire lives of animals and the good of the global environment. all your getting out of it is a nice taste in your mouth, but the cost of that is an entire lifetime of an animal being depressed, scared and in pain, and on top of that your really damaging the environment. that is selfish, its not opinion.

changing to a vegan diet really isnt hard, its not drastic, its just changing stubborn peoples minds thats hard. you say its never going to happen, but if it doesnt global warming will **** up the world, so if it doesnt peolpe are actually going to die because of others being stubborn.

the thing you said about poor people has already been addressed pretty well by that other guy, i think you may have perlied, what about hunters etc.we're not talking about hunters, we're talking about people like you, living in developed countries, who have a choice. also, hunters etc make up a tiny percentage of the amount of meat eaten in the world, its not really important so theres no point in mentioning it.

the economy is not more important than the environment, when global warmings effects a fully being felt people arent going to be glad they saved the economy. any way, the economy will be ok, instead of raising cows and stuff, these people can grow crops instead.

Better than any vegetable :tongue: And changing to a vegan diet IS hard. We're practically surrounded by meat.
Reply 239
Original post by Natalierm2707
Tell that to 99% of the human race who eat meat!
How is it not natural, if we go back to the beggining of man on earth, we were one of the top consumers, we hunted and ate animals as it was a better soirce of protein than anything else we could find.

I admire you bejng vegan, but dont force your veiws on us meat eaters, we will still continue to eat meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're forcing your views on othe living beings, why cant we. also, most meat eaters dont know the effects it has on the world, its one of the largest (if not the largest) contributors to climate change, trying to convince peopel that what they are doing is not a bad thing. i bet when there were slaves, slave owners would say "look, if you dont want to own slaves, thats fine, but dont push your views on me" if something is so wrong in the world, you have a duty to try and fix it.

Latest