The Student Room Group

Bad exam- what to do next?

I want to study geography at a Russell group university. This means I probably need at least an A at A2 in geography (my other subjects will be the same or higher). But I know I did badly in the AS level that I took last week. I just want to know what to do about this because I need an A overall and don't think the recent exam would've helped to contribute to this. It's the only subject I love and I'm passionate about so I won't even consider doing anything else.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm at the A2 level of geography at the moment, so if it is a bad grade you should be able to resist next year to push it up. To help you get an A at A2 you obviously want to get As in geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I was in exactly the same situation last year. I dwelled on the bad exam for a while, thinking I'd done dreadfully, but then realised that it just meant I had to work harder for my other exams. You really need to focus on moving forward, as you can't do anything to change that exam now, and I swear it won't be as bad as mark as you think. Especially at AS, if you don't do as well as you'd hoped, you can always resist or make a lot of the grade back at A2, depending on what you got in your AS exam. I ended up getting a C in that bad exam, but because I worked so hard in my other exams, I got an A* overall at A level. So don't let it get you down, just keep moving forward is my advice! Good luck with your other exams! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by BenUK
Hi there,

I'm at the A2 level of geography at the moment, so if it is a bad grade you should be able to resist next year to push it up. To help you get an A at A2 you obviously want to get As in geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's not a problem to universities as long as you are predicted a good mark?
Reply 4
Original post by rockchicsocks
Hi! I was in exactly the same situation last year. I dwelled on the bad exam for a while, thinking I'd done dreadfully, but then realised that it just meant I had to work harder for my other exams. You really need to focus on moving forward, as you can't do anything to change that exam now, and I swear it won't be as bad as mark as you think. Especially at AS, if you don't do as well as you'd hoped, you can always resist or make a lot of the grade back at A2, depending on what you got in your AS exam. I ended up getting a C in that bad exam, but because I worked so hard in my other exams, I got an A* overall at A level. So don't let it get you down, just keep moving forward is my advice! Good luck with your other exams! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I am inspired :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Dee_98
So it's not a problem to universities as long as you are predicted a good mark?

No it's not, your universities will only care about your A-level results, not the AS ones(unless you drop a subject and don't carry it onto A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by BenUK
No it's not, your universities will only care about your A-level results, not the AS ones(unless you drop a subject and don't carry it onto A2).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats great! Thank you so much :biggrin:
I was in the same situation last year, I ended up getting a C in AS but this year I've been predicted an A for A2 and I resat a module. I ended up with offers from 5 Russell groups unis so don't worry about one bad exam besides, you may not have actually done as bad as you'd thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Dee_98
I want to study geography at a Russell group university. This means I probably need at least an A at A2 in geography (my other subjects will be the same or higher). But I know I did badly in the AS level that I took last week. I just want to know what to do about this because I need an A overall and don't think the recent exam would've helped to contribute to this. It's the only subject I love and I'm passionate about so I won't even consider doing anything else.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

So long as you work hard and are capable then your tutors should be able to predict your A grades for you. Unis look at your predicted grades. IF your AS results are lower than you need then you have to work harder next year and just resit some modules alongside your A2 work. Its not hard and lots pple do it and say its way easier to pass As then as they know and understand more from having studied A2. You might be fine on results day but if not its easy enough to resit so its all good! Relax and enjoy your summer and good luck in your results!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending