The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FluorescentM
You could either explain why people resist the pressures to conform, which include internal locus of control (talk about Oliner and Oliners study). Social support of allies, outlining Aschs variation of his original study and reactance, outlining bushman and stack.

Or you could explain resisting the pressure to obey and all the studies involved.
You dont have to talk about both explanations :smile:

whats the ao2 for these? is it just evaluations of the studies described in ao1?:smile:
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I did the exam last year, and thought I aced it out of the park but got a B. Here is my advice if you want to learn from my mistakes(hopefully you guys won't need it :smile:), make sure you handwriting is neat and you have sufficient amount for the 12 marker. Also know meanings, all research methods properly like graphs and all that other crap :biggrin:.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD luck!

My handwriting isn't terrible but it can get a bit messy when I rush.... Why do you say this is important? I mean, obviously if they can't understand what you've written then that's not good but they don't mark you down for bad writing or anything, do they?
I have a problem with time management in exams :s-smilie:

Good luck this time around :smile:
Original post by Whilerisleeps
whats the ao2 for these? is it just evaluations of the studies described in ao1?:smile:

No basically the AO1 is the description for example for resistance to conform, you'd describe internal locus of control.
Saying how they feel they have control over their own lives and so are more likely to feel confident enough to resist the pressure to fit in with other people.

You'd do this for each explanation and as you do youd then say e.g. evidence to support the role of internal locus of control comes from research by Oliner and Oliner. The will be the AO2.

So A01 is describing what each explanation means and the evaluation is the evidence that supports it, we dont evaluate the studies themselves.

Hope that makes sense :smile:
odds on the 12 marker being in the abnormality section?
I there an unofficial mark scheme for psych1 paper last week post it here please
Original post by mogwai98
My handwriting isn't terrible but it can get a bit messy when I rush.... Why do you say this is important? I mean, obviously if they can't understand what you've written then that's not good but they don't mark you down for bad writing or anything, do they?
I have a problem with time management in exams :s-smilie:

Good luck this time around :smile:

I know you're asking somebody else but I was told that the people who mark the papers only have a set amount of time per paper and if they have to spend time attempting to read the handwriting they will not have enough time to mark the rest of the paper. I know this from a fellow student in my english class but he also said it applies for other subjects too. Also too much writing may be seen as just a load of rambling on, hence why teachers say stick to the question and stick to the point you're making, so the marker might just think that theres too much ramble not enough detail and clear points.
Original post by hereticalpilgrim
odds on the 12 marker being in the abnormality section?

it best not be thats for sure! going to pray that it isn't tonight a haha
normative and informational influence,how is it different t compliance and internalisation
Original post by aimsnaywux
it best not be thats for sure! going to pray that it isn't tonight a haha

idk i really don't want one in social psychology so i think abnormality would be a good one!
Original post by aimsnaywux
I know you're asking somebody else but I was told that the people who mark the papers only have a set amount of time per paper and if they have to spend time attempting to read the handwriting they will not have enough time to mark the rest of the paper. I know this from a fellow student in my english class but he also said it applies for other subjects too. Also too much writing may be seen as just a load of rambling on, hence why teachers say stick to the question and stick to the point you're making, so the marker might just think that theres too much ramble not enough detail and clear points.

Oh god, okay... That's not helped my confidence levels this morning, but thanks for letting me know :smile:
I'll have to try and remember this tomorrow.
Anyone explain these questions please for me, as if they were 12 markers:

Resistance to Conformity
- Desire to be individual
- Presence of dissidents
- High Internal Locust of Control - no need for external support ect
- Prior Commitment

Resistance to Obediance
- Presence of dissidents
- Low Status of Location
- Buffers
- Authority Figure not in uniform (lack of power and status)

Reasons for Conformitiy:
- Desire to be liked and fit in/not stand apart (Normative Social Infl)
- Desire to be right e.g when answers are too ambiguous, Asch (Informative Social Influence)
- High External Locust of Control (need external support)
- Social pressure and influence

Reasons to Obey:
- Authoritive Figure
- Agentic State - They have responsibility
- Punishment/Consequences

How do Minorities exert Social Change?
- Snowball Effect, minority become majority --> crypto amnesia
- Flexible, Consistent, Non-Dogmatic
- Consistent view point (Moscovici - most important), not argue amongst themselves -> shows unity and easier for people to conform
- Show personal sacrifice
- Show it is not for personal profit

Can anyone else help me with these as I cannot think of other reasons?

Also whats the explanation for Identification (3marks)
(edited 8 years ago)
What can you use for research into social influence
thanks
Original post by scrawlx101
normative and informational influence,how is it different t compliance and internalisation

Compliance is normative influence so you go along with the majority to gain their approval/be liked/fear of rejection but there's not a private attitude change
Whereas internalisation is informational influence where you go along with others because you're unsure about what's right and you then accept ( internalise) these views and they're your own belief now, so it's a more permanent change than compliance because you accept the views privately as well as publicly x
Do we need to know about the accumulation/amplification effect?
Is there a unofficial mark scheme for the psych 1 paper some one please reply
Would this get six marks for outline the biological approach.

The biological approach believes that abnormality is the result of physical causes. The approach makes four key assumptions. The first one is brain damage. The functioning of the brain when damage or the structure when damage can result in abnormality and disorders. The next part is neurotransmitters. These are what carry signals between different brain cells. To much or to little neurotransmitters can result in develeping psychological disorders. For example to much dopamine leads to depression. The third key assumption is infections. Infections can cause abnormality. For example 14% of scizophrenia cases are linked to the fact that they was a flu virus in the womb which let to abnormality. The next assumption is genetics. This is when abnormality has a genetic basis. It was found that in 48% of twins who had schzophrenia had a chance of develpeing the condition.

Ignore spellling.
Original post by K3lvin
Is there a unofficial mark scheme for the psych 1 paper some one please reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

no as the answers ppl would give would vary, some used different studies than others
Can someone help me with elaborated A02 points on cognitive behaviour therapy such as ABC model and REBT
Reply 2158
Predictions for the 12 marker??

I'm realllllyyyyyyyy struggling with CBT and REBT and SIT and ABC please someone tell me I ALWAYS get them mixed up!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SunDun111
Would this get six marks for outline the biological approach.

The biological approach believes that abnormality is the result of physical causes. The approach makes four key assumptions. The first one is brain damage. The functioning of the brain when damage or the structure when damage can result in abnormality and disorders. The next part is neurotransmitters. These are what carry signals between different brain cells. To much or to little neurotransmitters can result in develeping psychological disorders. For example to much dopamine leads to depression. The third key assumption is infections. Infections can cause abnormality. For example 14% of scizophrenia cases are linked to the fact that they was a flu virus in the womb which let to abnormality. The next assumption is genetics. This is when abnormality has a genetic basis. It was found that in 48% of twins who had schzophrenia had a chance of develpeing the condition.

Ignore spellling.

I'm not a genius nor an examiner but I for infections I would include the adjective 'brain' just for clarity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending