The Student Room Group

Trigonometry

from the equation tan22X=3/2 how do I find tanX
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daviem
from the equation tan22X=3/2 how do I find tanX
Thanks

You have to use the double angle identity for tan(2x)
Reply 2
Original post by lizard54142

sorry, I don't understand
Reply 3

could you explain further?
Original post by daviem
sorry, I don't understand

The identity is:

tan(A±B)=tanA±tanB1tanAtanBtan(A \pm B) = \dfrac{tanA \pm tanB}{1 \mp tanAtanB}

In your case, A = B
Reply 6
The identity is:

tan(A±B)=tanA±tanB1tanAtanBtan(A \pm B) = \dfrac{tanA \pm tanB}{1 \mp tanAtanB}

In your case, A = B

ok, thanks
Original post by daviem
ok, thanks

Do you see how to start now? The first thing to do would be get rid of the tan^2(2x) by square rooting, this will make things much easier :smile:
Reply 8
In all honesty I'm trying to a trig equation question (question 7b, aqa, pure core 2, 2014) and I'm just perplexed as to how to get the values of X.
Reply 9
Original post by daviem
In all honesty I'm trying to a trig equation question (question 7b, aqa, pure core 2, 2014) and I'm just perplexed as to how to get the values of X.

Is this a different question? If so, can you post a screenshot?
Reply 11
Is this a different question? If so, can you post a screenshot?

Yeah hang on, I'll try
Reply 12
Here, the answer and the question
Reply 13
square root then find the solutions using your preferred method such as the graph but remember to double your range as its tan2x. e.g if it was 0<x<360 make it 0<2x<720 then find values of x by halfing all the angles in the range. note if you divide by two first then find angles between 0 and 360 then you will lose solutions.
Original post by Nels98
square root then find the solutions using your preferred method such as the graph but remember to double your range as its tan2x. e.g if it was 0<x<360 make it 0<2x<720 then find values of x by halfing all the angles in the range. note if you divide by two first then find angles between 0 and 360 then you will lose solutions.

This is the correct method, for C2 anyway.

But don't forget, x is going to be - root(3/2) as well as +
Reply 15
for 7a you need to use the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1
Reply 16
Original post by Bobjim12
This is the correct method, for C2 anyway.

But don't forget, x is going to be - root(3/2) as well as +

I'm only in L6 but i hear it gets a bit more complex next year
Original post by Nels98
I'm only in L6 but i hear it gets a bit more complex next year

Yeah, like a previous poster put for some double angle identity, saw similar things in AQA's formula book, probably c3/c4 stuff.
Original post by daviem
Here, the answer and the question

Oh, well you don't need to find tan(x) as you originally thought in your original post! You just have to square root, and then use inverse tan. Notice though in part b) it is in terms of 2θ2 \theta, but part 1 was just in terms of xx
Reply 19
Original post by Nels98

I did that, but I wasn't getting the right answers, I got my primary value as 0.886

Quick Reply

Latest