The Student Room Group

OMAM WJEC GCSE English Literature

I am undertaking my WJEC English Literature GCSE tomorrow and studying the novella 'Of Mice and Men'.

Does anyone have any predictions on what the essay questions could be?
Or the extract?

Any hints or tips for the exam tomorrow?

Thankyou

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't forget to include context! It's so mean of WJEC to suddenly throw this extra thing in, but yeah, I'd say make sure to revise the context of the novella.
Very worried for this exam
Reply 3
what is most likely to come up as 20 mark essay question
Original post by jxssamy
Don't forget to include context! It's so mean of WJEC to suddenly throw this extra thing in, but yeah, I'd say make sure to revise the context of the novella.

Great thankyou. Heard its heavily marked on content this year.
Original post by Momoney
what is most likely to come up as 20 mark essay question

Heard Candy or Loneliness
Original post by aimeelovescats
Very worried for this exam

You'll be fine as long as you've revised.

Don't panic, stay calm and attempt everything.
Reply 7
candy is likely, i have this book with all the past papers since the exam started and the only character that hasn't been mentioned is candy. BUT loneliness has been mentioned. racism and women hasn't...
Reply 8
oh **** candy has been mentioned..
Original post by camilledanielsen
I am undertaking my WJEC English Literature GCSE tomorrow and studying the novella 'Of Mice and Men'.

Does anyone have any predictions on what the essay questions could be?
Or the extract?

Any hints or tips for the exam tomorrow?

Thankyou

Me and my friends have been looking at the past questions and what hasn't come up at all/not in a long time. We think that it's going to be along the lines of 'How is the character of Slim important to the novel as a whole' and the same for Curley. Good luck for tomorrow, and remember context!!
Original post by meganellenor
Me and my friends have been looking at the past questions and what hasn't come up at all/not in a long time. We think that it's going to be along the lines of 'How is the character of Slim important to the novel as a whole' and the same for Curley. Good luck for tomorrow, and remember context!!

Thankyou and you!
Original post by camilledanielsen
You'll be fine as long as you've revised.

Don't panic, stay calm and attempt everything.

Ah! I hope. I mean I did okay in all the coursework but I'm still freaking out that I won't have a clue what to write. Hopefully the questions will be okay.
Reply 12
Curley's wife (or her relationship with Curley) and Candy haven't come up before. Nor has a question about the minor characters, or George/Lennie individually. Treatment of women could be asked about, or loneliness. I doubt racism will be asked about as they was a question on Crooks last year. There could be a question about settings?
Reply 13
Also, power could come up?
So far, there has been George and Lennie, Crooks, Curley, Slim and Lennie by himself
For themes, there has been: Dreams, Strength, Victims, Animals, Fear and suspicion, and Friendship.
My guess is the only main characters not to appear are Curley's Wife, Candy and George by himself
Themes along the line of Loneliness or Discrimination/Role of Women.

Reply with your predictions!
How do these even work? Like is it always an extract question and then either character or theme? Because I was looking at past questions and one was 'Write an entry as Slim looking back on the events through the novel' I'm so under prepared for tomorrow and I have no clue how to revise....:frown:
Reply 16
http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/s14-4201-02.pdf
Hey could you guys please tell me what mark this response would get for the extract:From this extract, Curley's wife appears to be nervous and fearful of Curley as "she stood still in the doorway"; suggesting that Curley's wife understands that she does not belong in the men's world and is afraid Curley will see her talking to them. Thus, by standing by the doorway, she knows she can leave quickly. She is described to be "heavily made up"l this suggests that she has nothing else to do therefore she spends a lot of time on her appearance, perhaps because she wants attention, which she does not get from Curley. However, we learn that "she breathed strongly, as though she has been running" perhaps from Curley; emphasising that she is fearful of him. Consequently, we learn that the heavy make up could be to cover bruises as Curley, who we know is violent (he don't like nobody" - which could be include his wife) abuses her. Interestingly, Curley's wife asks the men if they have seen Curley ("Any you boys seen Curley?":wink:. However, she reveals that she does in fact know where Curley went as she states "think I don't know where they all went? Even Curley. I know where they all went." Not only does this highlight that Curley's wife is an observant, watchful character, but she reveals that she is lonely and desperately wants someone to talk to as she asks them simply as a conversation starter. As Curley's wife implies that she wants someone to talk to, it is clear that her marriage is broken as she does not talk to Curley. This is emphasised when she states; "Think I don't like to talk to somebody ever once in a while? Think I like to stick in that house alla time?". This also causes her to appear ungrateful as the ranch men all want what she has (her own farm), however, she doesn't want it. When describing Curley, she describes him to be a "swell guy" - this appears to be sarcastic, as we already know she does not have a good relationship with him. Throughout this extract, Curley's wife reveals more about her relationship with Curley. Moreover, she makes it clear to the men not to underestimate her as she is observant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Many people have been predicting Slim to come up!
Reply 18
Original post by annabellelilyyy
Many people have been predicting Slim to come up!

Slim could come up for extract but he's come up in whole text

· Imagine you are Slim. At the end of the novelyou think back over what has happened since George and Lennie arrived at theranch. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Remember how Slim would speakwhen you write your answer.
Original post by shrl0
http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/s14-4201-02.pdf
Hey could you guys please tell me what mark this response would get for the extract:From this extract, Curley's wife appears to be nervous and fearful of Curley as "she stood still in the doorway"; suggesting that Curley's wife understands that she does not belong in the men's world and is afraid Curley will see her talking to them. Thus, by standing by the doorway, she knows she can leave quickly. She is described to be "heavily made up"l this suggests that she has nothing else to do therefore she spends a lot of time on her appearance, perhaps because she wants attention, which she does not get from Curley. However, we learn that "she breathed strongly, as though she has been running" perhaps from Curley; emphasising that she is fearful of him. Consequently, we learn that the heavy make up could be to cover bruises as Curley, who we know is violent (he don't like nobody" - which could be include his wife) abuses her. Interestingly, Curley's wife asks the men if they have seen Curley ("Any you boys seen Curley?":wink:. However, she reveals that she does in fact know where Curley went as she states "think I don't know where they all went? Even Curley. I know where they all went." Not only does this highlight that Curley's wife is an observant, watchful character, but she reveals that she is lonely and desperately wants someone to talk to as she asks them simply as a conversation starter. As Curley's wife implies that she wants someone to talk to, it is clear that her marriage is broken as she does not talk to Curley. This is emphasised when she states; "Think I don't like to talk to somebody ever once in a while? Think I like to stick in that house alla time?". This also causes her to appear ungrateful as the ranch men all want what she has (her own farm), however, she doesn't want it. When describing Curley, she describes him to be a "swell guy" - this appears to be sarcastic, as we already know she does not have a good relationship with him. Throughout this extract, Curley's wife reveals more about her relationship with Curley. Moreover, she makes it clear to the men not to underestimate her as she is observant.

I would say this would be a good 9/10, the content is good, and every point you have made has been backed up with evidence and a fairly detailed analysis. You have used linking words to join the piece of writing up, and given different ideas and perspectives on what quotes could mean. To improve and get full marks I would say zoom in on key words and see what they mean in relation to the whole novel, things such as foreshadowing. For example: 'She stood still in the doorway, smiling a little at them' This shows she is being flirty and provocative, leading them on even though she is married. Try to find a word that sums her up, and link it to the novel as a whole, I think it impresses examiners. Hope this was helpful.:redface:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest