The Student Room Group

Trigonometry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daviem
I did that, but I wasn't getting the right answers, I got my primary value as 0.886

Did you work out the angles for -root(3/2)?
Reply 21
Original post by lizard54142
Oh, well you don't need to find tan(x) as you originally thought in your original post! You just have to square root, and then use inverse tan. Notice though in part b) it is in terms of 2θ2 \theta, but part 1 was just in terms of xx

but the inverse tan of 2 theta is 0.886 isn't it? That's what I got, but then I don't now how to get the correct values from that
Reply 22
Original post by Bobjim12
Did you work out the angles for -root(3/2)?

I got that tan2theta is root 1.5, so I did the inverse of that which is where I got 0.886 from
Reply 23
I'm confused which bit your stuck on, is it the whole of q 7 or have you shown part a to be true and now your trying to do part b?
Original post by daviem
I got that tan2theta is root 1.5, so I did the inverse of that which is where I got 0.886 from

Incorrect. Tan2theta is +root 1.5 AND -root 1.5. Square roots can be + and -

ALSO: is your calculator in degrees?
Reply 25
Original post by Nels98
I'm confused which bit your stuck on, is it the whole of q 7 or have you shown part a to be true and now your trying to do part b?

Yeah, I've done part a and I'm fine on part b up until after tan2theta = = or - root 1.5.
I'm fine up till then, after that I don't have a clue
Original post by Nels98

Original post by daviem
Yeah, I've done part a and I'm fine on part b up until after tan2theta = = or - root 1.5.
I'm fine up till then, after that I don't have a clue

There's too many people all trying to help at once. I'll leave you guys to it.
Reply 27

crap no its in radians, sorry so the primary values are = and - 50.768 then?
Reply 28
Original post by lizard54142
There's too many people all trying to help at once. I'll leave you guys to it.

I'd more than appreciate your help
Reply 29
Original post by daviem
crap no its in radians, sorry so the primary values are = and - 50.768 then?

yes, for 2theta
Reply 30
but, as I'm sure your aware, there is more to be found. do you know how to do that?
Reply 31
Original post by Nels98
but, as I'm sure your aware, there is more to be found. do you know how to do that?

No not really, and also this isn't one of the values given in the answer, so do I have to half it?
Reply 32
Reply 33
yeh so for your first value of theta you would just half 50. whatever it was. but to find more values of 2theta within 0-360 you need to use whatever method you were taught such as looking at a tan graph or a quadrant method maybe? then half all those and ensure they are within 0 and 180
Reply 34
Original post by Nels98
yeh so for your first value of theta you would just half 50. whatever it was. but to find more values of 2theta within 0-360 you need to use whatever method you were taught such as looking at a tan graph or a quadrant method maybe? then half all those and ensure they are within 0 and 180

Sorry if you don't mind explaining how would I find out the values using a tan graph (I know how to draw one), my teacher has been ill for the last few months so we didn't properly go over it.
Reply 35

To what?
Reply 36
essentially for tan you can just ±180 for the rest of the answers. so 50+180=230, 50-180=-130 and 130-180=-310. these are the only values of 2theta in the range of 0-360. half all these to get values of theta. so they are 25, 115, 65 and 155 i think. the reason the negative ones are allowed is as the square root makes it +or -. sorry i couldn't really explain as i am doing the same stuff as you this year so probably no better than you. have to go now but hope this vaguely helped
Reply 37
[QUOTE="Nels98;55885933"]essentially for tan you can just ±180 for the rest of the answers. so 50+180=230, 50-180=-130 and 130-180=-310. these are the only values of 2theta in the range of 0-360. half all these to get values of theta. so they are 25, 115, 65 and 155 i think. the reason the negative ones are allowed is as the square root makes it +or -. sorry i couldn't really explain as i am doing the same stuff as you this year so probably no better than you. have to go now but hope this vaguely helped[/QUOTE
no thank you that really helped I think I understand it now, thanks very much
Original post by daviem
Sorry if you don't mind explaining how would I find out the values using a tan graph (I know how to draw one), my teacher has been ill for the last few months so we didn't properly go over it.

Nels explanation on a graph:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431866740.751811.jpg

After you find these values you must divide by 2 as you have 2x and you want just x
Sec^2 it ennit

Quick Reply

Latest