The Student Room Group

Butt muscles

Do butt muscles grow like arm and leg muscles? Do you have to work them out like you would with your arms amd legs to get them bigger?
Yes, it is a muscle, namely the gluteus maximus. The best way to work it out would be to do squats and deadlifts.
Hip thrusts with a barbell work wonders! The dropping part of the deadlift too, not so much the lifting.

Jumping exercises too.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Yes, it is a muscle, namely the gluteus maximus. The best way to work it out would be to do squats and deadlifts.

Lol I know its a muscle but thank you anyways :smile: i heard squats makes it shaped nice but doesnt actually make it bigger? Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TorpidPhil
Hip thrusts with a barbell work wonders! The dropping part of the deadlift too, not so much the lifting.

Jumping exercises too.

Okk lol thank you! Did you try it and did it work for u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James_hunter7564
Lol I know its a muscle but thank you anyways :smile: i heard squats makes it shaped nice but doesnt actually make it bigger? Is that true?

Yes. Progressive overload will increase muscle size (I think that is what is meant by 'shape' when combined with a deduction in body fat percentage...It is also worth noting that the shape of one's muscles is often genetically determined).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
With regards to solely increasing the glute muscle you should aim for glute isolation exercises as opposed to glute compound exercises like the generic response of squats, deadlifts, lunges etc. A couple examples of glute isolation exercises are hip thrusts, glute bridges, cable kick backs,donkey kickbacks etc just google glute isolation exercises and there are plenty, good compound exercises are the ones previously mentioned plus the bulgarian split squat and reverse-hyperextensions...
(edited 8 years ago)
Okk lol thank you! Did you try it and did it work for u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. I deadlift/squat anyway but hip-thrusts are the best I've found for really targetting your butt specifically.
Reply 8
Lots of threads popping up regarding males wanting to increase the size of their butts. Interesting.

Anyway, Squats, Deadlifts and their variations. Front squats, pause squats, romanian deadlifts etc. But if you're just a beginner, focus on just the normal squat and deadlift. Squat deep ie "Ass to Grass" or whatever your mobility allows. Squat heavy. Deadlift heavy. Eat in a surplus.
Original post by JD1lla
Lots of threads popping up regarding males wanting to increase the size of their butts. Interesting.

Anyway, Squats, Deadlifts and their variations. Front squats, pause squats, romanian deadlifts etc. But if you're just a beginner, focus on just the normal squat and deadlift. Squat deep ie "Ass to Grass" or whatever your mobility allows. Squat heavy. Deadlift heavy. Eat in a surplus.

Haha yh I know. I have a big butt for a boy but its not obvious in clothes lol ahaha so wanting it to become visible. Thank you for the tips :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faith.A
With regards to solely increasing the glute muscle you should aim for glute isolation exercises as opposed to glute compound exercises like the generic response of squats, deadlifts, lunges etc. A couple examples of glute isolation exercises are hip thrusts, glute bridges, cable kick backs,donkey kickbacks etc just google glute isolation exercises and there are plenty, good compound exercises are the ones previously mentioned plus the bulgarian split squat and reverse-hyperextensions...

Oh okk! Thanks a lot :smile: so many big butt exercise techniques haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Progressive overload will increase muscle size (I think that is what is meant by 'shape' when combined with a deduction in body fat percentage...It is also worth noting that the shape of one's muscles is often genetically determined).

Oh okk! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. I deadlift/squat anyway but hip-thrusts are the best I've found for really targetting your butt specifically.

Haha ok so was there a massive difference? How long did it take to see a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha ok so was there a massive difference? How long did it take to see a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember the specifics man, just start hip thrusting with a barbell already XD
I don't remember the specifics man, just start hip thrusting with a barbell already XD

Lol ok :smile: what if I dont have a barbell? Anything at home will work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol ok :smile: what if I dont have a barbell? Anything at home will work?

Haha okk :smile: did it work for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha okk :smile: did it work for you?

Yeah. Now I've got a 'squat booty'.

Quick Reply

Latest