The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Greetings all!

So, how are we all finding the exam season? I do hope it is going well. Additionally, considering the questions tend to follow the same outline in terms of marks and the structure: How are we going to approach the 20 markers and 40 markers?

Regards - Gunnarsunn. Please do input as it may provide help to others who are not entirely sure.
Reply 141
on the edexcel website where do we find the sources for the questions?
I'm doing option D - Britain and the nationalist challenge in India
This might be a stupid question but when you're analysing sources, would you say things like 'alliteration', 'personification' etc.. If mentioned in the source

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfaB
on the edexcel website where do we find the sources for the questions?
I'm doing option D - Britain and the nationalist challenge in India

On the past papers scroll all the way to the bottom.
Original post by edward090
All I have done is just read through the red book with the indian girl waving the flag. The book isnt the greatest :/ how are u structuring your essays and how are u revising???

Yeah that book is so waffly, I'm just writing brief notes on each of the laws that were passed and important events like Gandhi's satyagrahas, simon commission, cripps mission etc. So that's helping me consolidate need to know information which I can use in the 40 marker.

I've done a few 20 markers so I'm just gonna read over those and probably write up one or two more. I already know how to structure the 40 mark question so I'll be planning as many as I can during tomorrow and Tuesday. How about you?
Really confused how to structure a 40 marker. I have no idea how much to use the sources and where to use my own knowledge, i had no problems with the Unit 1 paper but this Unit is just throwing me off completely. Any ideas or suggestion would be extremely helpful
Note: I am studying The Experience of Warfare through Britain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bloom77
This might be a stupid question but when you're analysing sources, would you say things like 'alliteration', 'personification' etc.. If mentioned in the source

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, it's not English so we don't focus on how the language is presented in the source, if that makes sense. When you analyse sources it's more about what you can infer from them, i.e. Source 10 highlights the people are incredibly disgruntled towards person X. So you won't get any marks for saying there's alliteration etc.
Original post by Gunnarsunn
I'm doing it also. What do you find difficulty with in terms of content?

I have posted previous replies on this thread, just scroll up and you may be able to find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im alright with the content ive just been memorising, im struggling on the structure of the 40 marks

Ohh right, i'll check it out ty :smile:
Original post by NathanJapan
Really confused how to structure a 40 marker. I have no idea how much to use the sources and where to use my own knowledge, i had no problems with the Unit 1 paper but this Unit is just throwing me off completely. Any ideas or suggestion would be extremely helpful
Note: I am studying The Experience of Warfare through Britain.

You get a maximum of 24 marks for own knowledge and a max of 16 for the sources. All you have to do is read the sources and see what events/people they mention and this gives you a clue on what to include in your essay. The 3 sources always have different views, e.g. two sources might be in favour of the assertion in the question but the third source might disagree.

To give you an example (I'm studying Britain in India), 'Do you agree with the view that Gandhi lacked the political skills required to lead India to independence in the years 1920-1945?'

Let's just say one source briefly mentioned Gandhi's failures. In my essay I can start it by saying Gandhi indeed lacked the political skills to lead India to independence by quoting the part of the source that highlighted that point of view. Then I can back it up by using my own knowledge and explaining his civil disobedience campaign of 1920-22 which had failed as he ended up being imprisoned. So this whole paragraph would agree with the assertion in the question that Gandhi lacked the skills to lead India to independence.

Then in the second paragraph I can challenge the question by using a different sources and cross referencing them. That's to show Gandhi was able to unite Congress against the British Raj and how he was successful in that sense which I would expand on by using my own knowledge. So my second paragraph would disagree with the question. This is so my essay become balanced and in the conclusion I will make a judgement overall whether or not Gandhi lacked the political skills to lead India to independence.
Reply 150
Original post by The.Joker
You get a maximum of 24 marks for own knowledge and a max of 16 for the sources. All you have to do is read the sources and see what events/people they mention and this gives you a clue on what to include in your essay. The 3 sources always have different views, e.g. two sources might be in favour of the assertion in the question but the third source might disagree.

To give you an example (I'm studying Britain in India), 'Do you agree with the view that Gandhi lacked the political skills required to lead India to independence in the years 1920-1945?'

Let's just say one source briefly mentioned Gandhi's failures. In my essay I can start it by saying Gandhi indeed lacked the political skills to lead India to independence by quoting the part of the source that highlighted that point of view. Then I can back it up by using my own knowledge and explaining his civil disobedience campaign of 1920-22 which had failed as he ended up being imprisoned. So this whole paragraph would agree with the assertion in the question that Gandhi lacked the skills to lead India to independence.

Then in the second paragraph I can challenge the question by using a different sources and cross referencing them. That's to show Gandhi was able to unite Congress against the British Raj and how he was successful in that sense which I would expand on by using my own knowledge. So my second paragraph would disagree with the question. This is so my essay become balanced and in the conclusion I will make a judgement overall whether or not Gandhi lacked the political skills to lead India to independence.

Do you have any predictions for what might come up for the India 40 marker this year? I'm so worried about this exam, I'm not good at thinking on my feet the sources are a nightmare.
Hi, I might be in the wrong thread here but is anyone doing Early Modern British History: Crown and Authority for Unit 2 - in other words, Henry VIII and the Reformation? If so, does anyone have any predictions on what questions could come up or any tips in general? Feeling a bit nervous about it, thanks
Hi, can someone please tell me how many sources there are in the 40 mark part b) question? My tutor has told me that there are only going to be two but I'm freaking out as everywhere I look it seems like there are three !? (I'm a mature student studying independently so help from someone at a proper school/college would be really appreciated)Thank you
Reply 153
What does provenance mean?

Also, could someone explain the coniliation bills to me (Suffrage question) and what veto powers of the house of lords means??
Original post by gsonro
Do you have any predictions for what might come up for the India 40 marker this year? I'm so worried about this exam, I'm not good at thinking on my feet the sources are a nightmare.

I'm thinking something on WW1 or WW2 might come up and how it led to Partition/independence, its been about 4/5 papers since something on the war has come up. Just practice going through the sources of the 40 markers and annotate them and look through the mark schemes to see if you picked up the right points from them.
Original post by cicomowa
Hi, can someone please tell me how many sources there are in the 40 mark part b) question? My tutor has told me that there are only going to be two but I'm freaking out as everywhere I look it seems like there are three !? (I'm a mature student studying independently so help from someone at a proper school/college would be really appreciated)Thank you

There are always 3 sources for both the 20 marker and 40 marker.

Original post by _Aqsxo
What does provenance mean?

Also, could someone explain the coniliation bills to me (Suffrage question) and what veto powers of the house of lords means??

Provenance means the origin and purpose of the sources, so you look at the date and when it was written. So it might have been an anonymous leaflet from that period, a speech from a leader or it might be from a book written 50 years after the event took place. So in the 20 marker you discuss how reliable the sources are and you explain if something is dubious because the person behind the source had their own agenda etc.
Reply 156
I'm thinking something on WW1 or WW2 might come up and how it led to Partition/independence, its been about 4/5 papers since something on the war has come up. Just practice going through the sources of the 40 markers and annotate them and look through the mark schemes to see if you picked up the right points from them.

I thought the same to, hasn't come up for a while. Thanks for the advice, good luck!
There are always 3 sources for both the 20 marker and 40 marker.

Thank you!
Original post by 24Uout
anyone doing Henry VIII - 1509-1540 (Crown and Authority)?????
what are your predictions???

Aye, my teacher thinks that the Pilgrimage of Grace might come up which I wouldn't mind too much.
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Greetings all!

So, how are we all finding the exam season? I do hope it is going well. Additionally, considering the questions tend to follow the same outline in terms of marks and the structure: How are we going to approach the 20 markers and 40 markers?

Regards - Gunnarsunn. Please do input as it may provide help to others who are not entirely sure.

Hello!
well i am wondering what the main theme of argument would be on why the liberal party had no real interest in womens suffrage?
and also how much do we need to cover on trade unions - as i know the TU role during the war

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending