The Student Room Group

Hitting children ever acceptable?

So I recently came across someone on twitter talking about how it's always wrong and immoral to hit your child , even as a form of punishment or discipline. Growing up in an African household, i got hit whenever I misbehaved. Looking back now i feel no anger towards my mum for doing so, and think it was an effective way of disciplining me(obviously there are other non physical ways.) What do you lot think?

Also please include your ethnicity and where you grew up

Scroll to see replies

White British. There is nothing inherently wrong with smacking a child as a form of punishment.
It can only really become a problem if for example the parents use it aggressively for even minor things. Used properly it is a perfectly acceptable method of discipline.
(edited 8 years ago)
In my opinion, I think that for disciplinary purposes, it is acceptable as long as it is not way to extreme to even cause a scar to the child. All in all however, I cant really agree completely with smacking children but I do believe there are limits to child abuse.
Best lessons i learnt were when i got my ass beat!
It depends on the severity of the punishment, how often it happens and why.Like for example I don't think it's acceptable to slap your child for spilling a drink on the floor. I only got hit when I seriously misbehaved, and understood why my mom did so and knew that loved me. I agree there are other methods of disciplining children that work just as well

Lebanese raised in West Africa
I don't think it is acceptable, it instills into the child that violence is an acceptable way to resolve problems.
Reply 5
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
I don't think it is acceptable, it instills into the child that violence is an acceptable way to resolve problems.

except it doesn't, usually it's used precisely and paradoxically to show that violence and thuggish behaviour is unacceptable and you will be punished for it.
Original post by whorace
except it doesn't, usually it's used precisely and paradoxically to show that violence and thuggish behaviour is unacceptable and you will be punished for it.

How doesn't it? It's hypocrisy, using violence to show a child violence isn't right. It is perfectly possible to discipline your child without hitting them...
White European/Black African, France.
I never got hit (yeah, even though I'm got an African background) except for a few times and looking back at it, I don't think it was necessary. But smacking your child can be necessary and some kids do need it lol
I'd say it's even showing you love your child? As in, you care about them?
Reply 8
I'd love to give the little chavs who live near me an uppercut to the jaw, but they'd probably knife me in the gut.
Reply 9
How doesn't it? It's hypocrisy, using violence to show a child violence isn't right. It is perfectly possible to discipline your child without hitting them...

Of course it is possible. That doesn't mean it doesn't work another way. Your view of violence is quite pathetic really, a little tap is not violence.
I definitely got a whack or two when I was little. Would just keep pushing and pushing until one parent would snap. I reckon I turned out fine, it's just funny to me now.
Reply 11
Original post by Arkasia
I'd love to give the little chavs who live near me an uppercut to the jaw, but they'd probably knife me in the gut.

They are excellent examples where this sort of punishment is needed. Chavs have no respect for authority, in the army they are severely dealt with and they quickly learn.
tfw you get beaten up because you were crying too loudly lmfao.

:'(
Original post by whorace
Of course it is possible. That doesn't mean it doesn't work another way. Your view of violence is quite pathetic really, a little tap is not violence.

Not really, violence is still violence. And I never said it can't and doesn't work the other way. This thread was asking for people's opinions on whether it's acceptable, not on whether it works.
Reply 14
Not really, violence is still violence. And I never said it can't and doesn't work the other way. This thread was asking for people's opinions on whether it's acceptable, not on whether it works.

Precisely, violence is violence, by lowering the standards so low you don't do people who actually suffer any justice, you do realise this? A tap should not be confused with serious assault.
Reply 15
Chinese. I used to be hit whenever I miss behaved. I was and still in some respects quite short tempered, and so ended up in big fights between siblings. I hated my parents because of this. As I grew older and looked back at all these spoilt children with no respect for their elders I ended up thanking them for not letting me turn into them. So yes, I think it is acceptable but as stated already, reserved only for serious misbehaviour.
With moderation it can be "ok".

If someone says otherwise they've probably lived a pretty sheltered life or there was abuse.
Maybe they find it harder to gauge why it would ever be necessary than those who haven't.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness

Tfw you're about to get slapped and you dodge then your mum's all like "OHH YOU THINK THIS IS A BOXING MATCH SO YOU WANT TO FIGHT ME"
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Tfw you're about to get slapped and you dodge then your mum's all like "OHH YOU THINK THIS IS A BOXING MATCH SO YOU WANT TO FIGHT ME"

:lol: this is so my mom 😂😂😂
Original post by ChickenMadness

you know this :rolf:

Quick Reply

Latest