The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys for the psya1 exam the question about how anxiety effects ewt, what did you have to put like did you have to state and evaluate a study or were you supposed to just write about what loftus did and his findings???
thanks
Original post by Troytheboy
I'm not a genius nor an examiner but I for infections I would include the adjective 'brain' just for clarity.

eh what?

Also guys would you use the ABC model and Cognitive triad as A01 for outline the cognitive approach.
Original post by Fleming1928
Do we need to know about the accumulation/amplification effect?

you could use them to evaluate daily hassles research
Original post by mogwai98
Oh god, okay... That's not helped my confidence levels this morning, but thanks for letting me know :smile:
I'll have to try and remember this tomorrow.

you shouldn't worry! I am sorry if I haven't made you feel good, if it helps during PSYA1 I had to scribble down and answer in the last 30 seconds and it's not even a real word what I wrote! there goes two marks eh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tay22
Predictions for the 12 marker??

I'm realllllyyyyyyyy struggling with CBT and REBT and SIT and ABC please someone tell me I ALWAYS get them mixed up!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

CBT is Beck's cognitive therapy. It involves four steps:

step one - the therapist identifies the client's negative thoughts
step two- the therapist sends the person home with a diary and ask them to record their thoughts and anxieties
step three - the therapist reviews their diary entries and picks out any negative thoughts or misinterpreted info.
step four - the therapist sets the client small task in order to make them feel successful, in this stage they may also provide the person with a social skills program.

SIT is stress inoculation training. It involves three steps

Conceptualization: A collaborative relationship is built between the client and therapist. Then the therapist teaches the client about the nature of stress and its impact and encourages the person not to perceive stressors as threats but as problems-to-be solved. Lastly they are taught how to make the stressors into long term, or short term goals.
Two skills and acquisition: The therapist teaches the person skills which are practiced in the clinic. This can include relaxation training, problem-solving, communication skills or guided self talk.
Application and follow through: In this stage the person is given the opportunity to practice the skills. To be honest I don't understand this step. Hopefully someone else who reads this post can help you.

As for the others I don't know what the acronyms mean. REBT and ABC?
Reply 2165
Original post by SunDun111
eh what?

Also guys would you use the ABC model and Cognitive triad as A01 for outline the cognitive approach.

They are suitable yes :smile: There was an 8 marker on this on a past paper, and the mark scheme stated information about schemata, Becks negative triad and attributions, cognitive biases, Ellis' ABC model too. CBT and REBT would also be relevant as long as you state they are treatments :smile:
Original post by SunDun111
eh what?

The word brain infections instead of infections, just to make sure you get that mark.If you mean Beck's cognitive triad you would use that in AO1 for the cognitive biases that occur from negative automatic thoughts. I don't know what the ABC model is soz.
Original post by Troytheboy
The word brain infections instead of infections, just to make sure you get that mark.If you mean Beck's cognitive triad you would use that in AO1 for the cognitive biases that occur from negative automatic thoughts. I don't know what the ABC model is soz.

ABC model was proposed by Ellis

A - activating event (e.g. Someone being called fat)

B - beliefs (person believing they are fat)

C = consequence (person stops eating or starts dieting due to this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm reading through predictions and I thought I knew the whole course and people are mentioning things I've never heard of, I'm worried now... Why is this?
Original post by Sacred Ground
I'm reading through predictions and I thought I knew the whole course and people are mentioning things I've never heard of, I'm worried now... Why is this?

What's confusing you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2171
How to evaluate the following? :
Independent behaviour
Social change
How would you evaluate methods of stress management and therapies for abnormality?
A) Does anyone have a good essay/long response for independent behaviour? I don't believe I've ever written one.

B) Does anyone have a good essay/long response for explanations of conformity? I'm not entirely sure how to word one.

C) Could someone summarise evaluation points for the therapies in the abnormality topic?

I'm doing this exam as a resit and haven't been able to make it to any AS Psychology lessons so any help would be great as I may have missed something in my revision.
I don't understand the behavioural approach.
For a question about discussing an appoach to abnormality, can you talk about therapies?
Original post by faith7
How to evaluate the following? :
Independent behaviour
Social change

To evaluate independent behaviour you could say people are more likely to maintain their independence if they have to make a moral rather than physical judgement. Conformity research like Asch's is based on making physical judgments ( juding line lengths) where the psychological costs of abandoning independent behaviour are minor compared to the personal benefits of fitting in with the group. However if the task involves moral judgements psychological costs are higher e.g Hornsey found little conformity on attitude that had moral significance for individual e.g cheating
For social change you could talk about the success of the suffragette movemt in terms of consistency, flexibility etc.
Hoped this helped! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi can you please explain what social crypto-amnesia means?
Original post by cilla_e
Hi can you please explain what social crypto-amnesia means?

When you forget the source of social change because the opinion becomes an integral part of society's culture x
can someone please explain deviation from social norms pls? i don't like the textbook's way of wording it..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending