The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Does anyone have any predictions for the questions that will come up on omam?
My teacher has always said that memorising quotes is unnecessary as long as you have valid points but after reading this thread I'm starting to doubt this. Can you obtain full marks without memorising quotes or not?
Original post by en1
Does anyone have any predictions for the questions that will come up on omam?

Read through the thread, they're all there. But people mainly think it will be: Curley, Candy, Curley's wife, George and Loneliness
Violence in omam hasn't come up for a while...
Reply 124
It may be Carlson, I think. He represents the majority of the men on the ranch in 1930s.
Original post by aliceporter
My teacher has always said that memorising quotes is unnecessary as long as you have valid points but after reading this thread I'm starting to doubt this. Can you obtain full marks without memorising quotes or not?

No because you're assessed on language analysis which you can't do without quotes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 150505
It may be Carlson, I think. He represents the majority of the men on the ranch in 1930s.

Is there enough to write about with Carlson? I would've thought he was too minor, and a pretty one-dimensional character at that. So I hope he doesn't come up, else I won't be able to say much!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aliceporter

according to the mark scheme you need quotes to be getting a C grade I think. Because without 'evidence' your points aren't valid I believe. I may be wrong with the C grade but you definitely need quotes & 'picking out key words from that quote' as my teacher called it
Original post by ladyrailly
according to the mark scheme you need quotes to be getting a C grade I think. Because without 'evidence' your points aren't valid I believe. I may be wrong with the C grade but you definitely need quotes & 'picking out key words from that quote' as my teacher called it

I'm pretty sure that's right. You basically can't make a point without evidence and the evidence comes from quotes.
Also why do people think curley is going to come up in the exam??? He came up in 2013.

2012 was sympathy for Lennie or strength & weakness
2013 was Curley or fear & suspicion
2014 was Crooks or dreams

There's a good possibility that Slim, George, Candy or Curley's wife will come up, although Curley's wife is on the sample questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shrl0
Themes could be loneliness, (male) power, treatment of women or violence/death? Could they ask a question about significance of settings? Also, for characters they might ask about minors as a whole - their significance?

I think the second question could be possible, although it would be extremely hard as they aren't in the novel and people don't often revise the minor characters...
Reply 131
Original post by electrahearts
January 2015! So I highly doubt it :frown:

Did he?? Well, thats my English grade well and truly ruined! My teacher said he hadn't come up! I hadn't seen January 2015 because its not in the past papers and I don't know anyone who took the exam. If it isn't Atticus, I hope it's either Aunt Alexandra, Calpurnia or Bob Ewell, they could be possibilities couldn't they? Or perhaps it could be an open ended question, eg. How are men represented in the book, or how are the black community represented. It is bound to be the one thing I haven't prepared for!
Can anyone tell me how can I answer a questione about violence in OMAM?
Original post by ladyrailly
Also why do people think curley is going to come up in the exam??? He came up in 2013.

2012 was sympathy for Lennie or strength & weakness
2013 was Curley or fear & suspicion
2014 was Crooks or dreams

There's a good possibility that Slim, George or Curley's wife will come up, although Curley's wife is on the sample questions.

Don't forget about Candy..
Original post by Horsegirl01302
I hope nothing stupid comes up like the animal question!!

I don't think it will, it came up a few year's ago I think..
Do you think innocence could come up? That would be crazy
Original post by 10studentlife
Don't forget about Candy..

Oh yeah, candy of course :eek:
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
So for these I'm doing: Of Mice and Men, Heroes and An Inspector Calls. I'm really dreading this exam because English is like my worst subject and memorising quotes? It's absurd. No point complaining now though. But what do you guys predict will come up?
I have a feeling that for AIC there will be something on the theme of morality. What could we write for that?

You don't need to nessercly need to memorize quotes , you can get top marks without using any quotes as long as you refer to a particular moment you don't need to use any quotes
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
Do you think innocence could come up? That would be crazy

I hope not, I could only think of Curley's wife during the end of the novella, or possibly Lennie before he knows his strengths...
All I can say is unless a ridiculously easy theme question comes up I'm sticking to the characters :cool:

(unless a ridiculously hard character question such as Carlson comes up, then I'll move over to the themes...)

Quick Reply

Latest