The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone of you doing Journey's end??
Hi guys, I did these exam last year (OMAM, Christmas Carol, History Boys) and managed, admittedly with a lot of luck, 154/160 in total, so if you guys have any questions about those three books I'd be happy to answer them.
P.S. I've noticed a discussion about a potential 'Curley question' but I can assure you that won't come up since I did that question in my paper last summer. I'm not really sure what kind of character questions you might get this year, considering that pretty much every main character has been used at least once (apart from Curley's wife I think?). There might not be a character question this year anyway, they don't need to have one (unless the spec. has changed to say that). Nevertheless they could recycle character questions or ask them in different ways so don't write them off.
Original post by shrl0
Thanks for the reply, some of the old questions have been repeated so it would be good to discuss them.

There's also this one:
Steinbeck describes Slim as, "the prince of the ranch". To what extent does this description suit him, in your opinion?

No problem.

Okay so with Slim, he's quite caring and he's described as majestic, his words were like law, his opinion was always taken. He didn't need any high heeled boots. Curley's wife liked him 'Hi Slim' whilst Curley himself was jealous and scared of how he might lose his wife to Slim 'Where's Slim?'.

However, he allows the death of Candy's dog, Lennie and still goes to cat-houses. Even though the first two may be out of care, he still allows it. These qualities don't make him very prince like
Original post by hannahf598
what exam board is these predicitions for? :smile:

Like the title says, WJEC:smile:
Original post by PrimeLime
Hi guys, I did these exam last year (OMAM, Christmas Carol, History Boys) and managed, admittedly with a lot of luck, 154/160 in total, so if you guys have any questions about those three books I'd be happy to answer them.
P.S. I've noticed a discussion about a potential 'Curley question' but I can assure you that won't come up since I did that question in my paper last summer. I'm not really sure what kind of character questions you might get this year, considering that pretty much every main character has been used at least once (apart from Curley's wife I think?). There might not be a character question this year anyway, they don't need to have one (unless the spec. has changed to say that). Nevertheless they could recycle character questions or ask them in different ways so don't write them off.

Wow, well done! How would you answer the unseen poetry question? And to end the debate, did you learn and use many quotes?
Original post by shrl0
Thanks for the reply, some of the old questions have been repeated so it would be good to discuss them.

There's also this one:
Steinbeck describes Slim as, "the prince of the ranch". To what extent does this description suit him, in your opinion?

Couldn't you just turn this into a character question for Slim, but keep referring back to whether or not that point supports the description as a prince? So talk about how he's a leader and his word is law on the ranch: that supports the idea that he's a prince because prince's words are law etc
Reply 166
Does anyone have any idea what the other non-character question could be on Mockingbird? I think maybe Maycombs setting, or perhaps the court scene specifically.
Reply 167

You did well! What points would you say for

A CRITIC SAID ABOUTOf Mice and Men: ‘the characters are powerless’ Do you agree? Give reasons tosupport your opinions
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
Like the title says, WJEC:smile:

Anyone got ideas for OMAM q

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by shrl0
What would you guys say for these questions:
2006 - To what extent canyou blame Curley’s wife for the tragic events in the novel?
2008 - ‘Of Mice and Men’presents a world of harshness and violence’ To what extent do you agree withthis?
2010 - A CRITIC SAID ABOUTOf Mice and Men: ‘the characters are powerless’ Do you agree? Give reasons tosupport your opinions

That 2010 question is great imo.
I would say:

-It is obvious from reading the title that the power of fate will undermine any power that the characters possess - "Of Mice and Men" is an allusion to Burn's "To a Mouse", the message of which is the inevitibility of fate.
-That whilst Lennie has great physical strength ("strong as a bull") his child-like demeanor and general lack of intelligence undermine this (he doesn't understand basic causes and effects e.g that drinking too much water will make him sick - "snorting into the water like a horse")
-Curley's wife is powerless due to the patriarchal soceity of the 1930s - she is seen as more of a possesion than a human being (the fact that she is called "Curley's wife")
- Crooks is powerless due to the racism that exists on the ranch (and existed in the 1930s) "I could get you strung up so quick it ain't even funny"
-Candy is powerless due to his injury and old age (he couldn't prevent his dog from being shot "I ought to have shot that dog myself". Society will soon treat him as worthless just because his usefullness as a worker has expired ("They'll can me pretty soon")
-Slim has some power as the ranch men respect him ("his authority was so great that his word was taken on every subject")
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Asad_2015
Anyone got ideas for OMAM q

Posted from TSR Mobile

The whole thread is littered with them, read through the pages and you'll find a bunch

Dear God, I hope that they do a character question... otherwise I'm dead meat
Can I ask, how much is the English Literature CA worth of our GCSE? I got an A for the CA (somehow) but I'm dredging this exam as well
Original post by shrl0
What would you guys say for these questions:
2006 - To what extent canyou blame Curley’s wife for the tragic events in the novel?
2008 - ‘Of Mice and Men’presents a world of harshness and violence’ To what extent do you agree withthis?
2010 - A CRITIC SAID ABOUTOf Mice and Men: ‘the characters are powerless’ Do you agree? Give reasons tosupport your opinions

Well powerlessness is a theme of OMAM
-could say that lennie is physically strong and powerfull but his mental handicap makes him powerless against his urges.
-lennie lacks the mental acuity that would help him avoid dangers so he must rely on george.
-you could also say that george is powerless in the sense that he can instruct lennie on what to do but cant be with him all the time so therefore he cant truly protect lennie from himself. the only power george truly has is to protect lennie from others
-
Original post by Vagner.DSC
Can I ask, how much is the English Literature CA worth of our GCSE? I got an A for the CA (somehow) but I'm dredging this exam as well

For WJEC, it's 25%
Original post by Vagner.DSC

25%

History Boys - any idea of which quotes are good?
Original post by Jayzaa
I dont know, my teacher has said it is possible, but again I have no idea! Where did you find out Atticus was in Jan 15?

oh god i hope not i think i'd burst into tears in the exam! our teacher told us and on pages 27-28 here http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/english-gcse/gcse-english-lang-and-lit-report-jan-2015.pdf?language_id=1 the examiner says it was on the presentation of atticus

i really, really hope it's on calpurnia (probably not bc she was on specimen paper) or aunt alexandra!
Original post by Steliata
I'm predicted an A* and my teacher has been saying all year that you don't need to learn quotes and has refused to give us a list to learn :mad:

seriously?! my teacher is the exact opposite, obsessed with us learning exact quotes - every lesson was literally 5 minutes of reading and the rest noting down like every quote for every character :argh:
Anyone got a sample essay for George? or at least an essay plan, I will trade notes if you necessary..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending