The Student Room Group

A levels 2016

Hi all, I'm considering doing a full A level in Biology next year, but was wondering how that would work with the specification changes? Would I take both the AS and A2 exams of the current spec, or both exams for the new spec? I was confused as I don't know if they'd run AS exams for the old spec with the changes happening, or if there would be A2 exams available for the new spec because this is the first year they'll be running?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swag god
Hi all, I'm considering doing a full A level in Biology next year, but was wondering how that would work with the specification changes? Would I take both the AS and A2 exams of the current spec, or both exams for the new spec? I was confused as I don't know if they'd run AS exams for the old spec with the changes happening, or if there would be A2 exams available for the new spec because this is the first year they'll be running?

I believe that you could take a whole a level under the old spec as AS retakes and A2s will be held in June 2016 but your college shouldn't be teaching the AS content for old spec. The first exams for the new spec will be on 2017 so you'd have to do a 2 year course under the new spec.
Reply 2
Original post by jonayed1122
I believe that you could take a whole a level under the old spec as AS retakes and A2s will be held in June 2016 but your college shouldn't be teaching the AS content for old spec. The first exams for the new spec will be on 2017 so you'd have to do a 2 year course under the new spec.

The previous poster is correct, you would have to take the current Biology spec (having attended lessons for AS on the new spec and A2 on the current spec).

There will be both AS And A2 exams for the current 'old' spec next summer. They are already in the exam timetable.
HOWEVER, you may find it harder than usual to find a centre to complete the mandatory practical assessments. If you are still in school/college and hoping to do them there you may find the biology staff are only doing the A2 one and not doing the AS one as they are teaching the new AS syllabus.

You will not be able to complete the new syllabus in one year as the first full A level exams won't be until 2017.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Will the new specification content be vastly different to the old spec? Because I wanted to take Economics in one year (while dropping two AS's) so if I sat in new spec AS lessons, would the content of new spec help me for old spec exam? I'm not looking forward to sitting under the new spec although may have to :frown:

This question also relates to OP if he/she sits in new spec lessons for AS
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Will the new specification content be vastly different to the old spec? Because I wanted to take Economics in one year (while dropping two AS's) so if I sat in new spec AS lessons, would the content of new spec help me for old spec exam? I'm not looking forward to sitting under the new spec although may have to :frown:

This question also relates to OP if he/she sits in new spec lessons for AS

It's obligatory

it's okay, I'll cry for you.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
It's obligatory

it's okay, I'll cry for you.

Why do you say its obligatory? There's still AS and A2 exams next year? The matter is learning it all in a year so I thought I could do that with new spec content?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Why do you say its obligatory? There's still AS and A2 exams next year? The matter is learning it all in a year so I thought I could do that with new spec content?

I thought the A level reforms kick start for the current year 11's when they start sixth form in september? And the remaining A levels of this type will be taken by the AS students when they do A2?

If not, oopsie.
do they IAL its the same as the current alevel but international urgh the government make it so tough for those within the state they all went to eton -.-
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I thought the A level reforms kick start for the current year 11's when they start sixth form in september? And the remaining A levels of this type will be taken by the AS students when they do A2?

If not, oopsie.

You are correct in saying that the new A levels kick in this September (although not for every subject, subjects like Geography, RS, Maths and some others kick in later) but there will be AS papers of the old spec next year.

So i thought maybe I could sit the AS papers of the old spec too? The issue i had was that the school would start teaching New spec AS but still teach Old spec A2. So could i not sit in New spec AS to learn content ?
So in simple terms everyone.... Sit the old spec of Biology rather than the new one????????????????????

Am I right??? What happens if you muck up.... Is it possible to resit them in the year 2017?
Original post by jonayed1122

So does this mean for new A-level biology sitters they will have to study the new spec? Even for external students who haven't sat such subject before????

Help.

Can't I (Sitting biology for the first time as an external candidate) sit the old AS spec?
Reply 12

Biol is under the new spec so there will be no AS exams for it just 2 yrs work with exams at end of 2yrs. Unless you dont want to do full A level then you can do AS only but you wont do A level then. You get to choose at end of yr1 so pple who dont like subject and want to drop it take AS only and rest ignore AS exam and continue on to 2 nd yr and do full A level. No point in doin both as AS no longer count as part of A level points and coll wont pay for you to do both exams as its pointless. They have gone back to how A levels were in my mums day!
(edited 8 years ago)

Hey, if you've started the AS Biology course in 2014/15 and you go into A2 without failing, the new spec won't affect you. But if you choose do redo year 12 for it, you will become part of the new spec. However, if you're just resitting a module (e.g. Unit 1, Unit 2, topic 3, INFO4, section 5 etc.), it'll be based on the specification that you just did, which is the one that's about to change. Hope that answers your question.
What is the practicals going to be like in the new spec???? S

Supposedly to be more harder?
Original post by mr.cool09
So in simple terms everyone.... Sit the old spec of Biology rather than the new one???????????????????

Yes, if you want to complete the A level in 2016 it would have to be the old spec.

What happens if you muck up.... Is it possible to resit them in the year 2017?

You certainly won't be able to re-sit any AS units, it might be possible to re-sit A2 units. Alternatively, if it doesn't go well you could take the whole new A level the following year.
So does this mean for new A-level biology sitters they will have to study the new spec? Even for external students who haven't sat such subject before????
Can't I (Sitting biology for the first time as an external candidate) sit the old AS spec?

Whether you are a centre or external candidate is irrelevant. What matters is that in 2016 there will be no full A level exams on the new spec and in 2017 there will be no AS exams for the old spec. Pick which spec you want to take based on that.
Original post by Compost
Whether you are a centre or external candidate is irrelevant. What matters is that in 2016 there will be no full A level exams on the new spec and in 2017 there will be no AS exams for the old spec. Pick which spec you want to take based on that.

Thank you sir, I shall try sit the old spec
What is the practicals going to be like in the new spec???? S

Supposedly to be more harder?

Where have you heard this? Because I might have to pick AS Bio up in September alongside A2s :s-smilie:
Original post by mogwai98
Where have you heard this? Because I might have to pick AS Bio up in September alongside A2s :s-smilie:

Just heard it off people :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest