The Student Room Group

6000+ people dying in the ocean whilst noone gives a hoot

I guess after years of being killed by Buddhists(yes I kid you not, buddhists terrorizing Muslims) and abused by human traffickers, the world couldn't go on looking the other way whilst Rohingya Muslims suffered. It's still trying to look the other way but some media outlets are reporting on this issue.

The Boat Of Starving Rohingya Refugees That No Country Will Take In

The emaciated faces of hundreds of refugees found adrift in Thai waters on Thursday spoke volumes about the scale of the humanitarian crisis unfolding in South Asia.

Reporters on Thursday found about 400 refugees from Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya minority crammed aboard a wooden fishing boat in the Andaman Sea, desperate for food and water.

The refugees said they had been at sea for almost three months and had fled persecution in their home country. They had hoped to reach Malaysia but were turned away by Malay authorities. Six days ago, smugglers abandoned their ship, and ten people had already perished onboard, refugees said.

Christophe Archambault, a photographer for Agence France Presse, captured the harrowing scenes onboard the ship, and the desperate scramble for supplies that were eventually dropped by the Thai military.

Aid groups say at least 6,000 refugees -- and perhaps many times that number -- have been drifting for days and months in the waters between Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia. They were abandoned with little food and water by human traffickers after a regional crackdown on smuggling networks. Most are Rohingya Muslims who are stateless in Myanmar and Bangladeshis trying to escape poverty.

Only a few boats have been able to reach safe shore. On Thursday, Thailand and Malaysia turned away boats crammed with starving refugees as officials washed their hands of the crisis. "We have to send the right message that they are not welcome here," Malaysian Deputy Home Minister Wan Junaidi Jafaar told The Associated Press, adding: "What do you expect us to do?" Thai Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said it wasn't fair for his country to shoulder the burden of accepting refugees. "No one wants them," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/14/boat-people-photos_n_7283178.html?ir=Religion&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000051

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Who told them to get on a ship and demand entry into a foreign country? :s-smilie:
Last time people were stuck on a ship in sail to a new country with no idea what awaited them, it was slavery :K:

It's just totally unrealistic and insensible to journey to a new place without any confirmation that they are awaiting you, and it's infeasible to take care of them.
I find it weird that people moan and feel sorry about these people and yet don't do **** for them and would rather let them die at sea, it's disgusting.
There is something very suspicious about these refugees. They were intercepted by thailand's coast guard at first, they demanded water and food, the coast guard offered to bring them to land, they refused, they want water and food and want to go off.

If they are truly desperate, they wouldn't refuse the offer. They sound like they have a destination to go or have a plan. probably wanting to go to malaysia or indonesia for reasons we dont know.
(edited 8 years ago)
More people are dying from cold weather in the UK than these refugees, yet no one cares.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11382808/Winter-death-toll-to-exceed-40000.html
Reply 5
Doesn't affect the west so no one gives a ****. This is a south east Asian problem should be solved by those countries. The west don't need to be brought in this.
It is most unfortunate, but the UK is not the World Police.
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
Who told them to get on a ship and demand entry into a foreign country? :s-smilie:
Last time people were stuck on a ship in sail to a new country with no idea what awaited them, it was slavery :K:

It's just totally unrealistic and insensible to journey to a new place without any confirmation that they are awaiting you, and it's infeasible to take care of them.

Wow people never cease to shock me with their lack of humanity as this thread has demonstrated so far.
These people are trying to escape persecution from a country where they are not classed as citizens therefore cannot get jobs, own land and are often forced into labour. You obviously have no idea what it's like to be desperate and willing to do whatever it takes to better your families life.

This is what their government has to say regarding a summit to try and come to a solution

However, Zaw Htay, director of Myanmar's presidential office, said his leaders would not attend if the word "Rohingya" was used in the invitation, as they did not recognise the term.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GnomeMage
There is something very suspicious about these refugees. They were intercepted by thailand's coast guard at first, they demanded water and food, the coast guard offered to bring them to land, they refused, they want water and food and want to go off.

If they are truly desperate, they wouldn't refuse the offer. They sound like they have a destination to go or have a plan. probably wanting to go to malaysia or indonesia for reasons we dont know.

This is what the BBC have to say

"So the boat we found on Thursday, which had already been pushed back once from Malaysia, into Thailand, was then pushed back again by the Thai navy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32766748

They didn't refuse to land. According to this article they were pushed away from Malaysia and then went to Thailand. Here as the smugglers had abandoned them the Thai's fixed the boats engine, gave a brief guide on how to control the boat to some passengers with no previous training and sent them on their way probably to their deaths. The official line was they didn't want to stay but if you look at the article it paints a very different picture.
Saw this in CEMB twitter...

:frown:
Reply 10
Although I have some empathy with them what exactly do you want us to do, they were hoping to go to Malaysia, the Malaysian government have clearly stated they don't want them there. They tried Thailand, again government stated they don't want them there. Indonesia was on the cards, they don't want them. The Burmese government effectively views them all as illegal immigrants so doubt they are gonna be welcome back there any time soon and Bangladesh doesn't want more poor people to feed so can't imagine they would be allowed to return there either.

In regards to the whole allowed/not-allowed Thailand thing they initially said they would be willing to house at least some of them temporarily, then it was reported most of the people on the boat didn't want to go to Thailand, then the Thai government changed their mind after they worked out if they let them step foot on land they are never getting rid of them due to various international regulations that can basically be summed up as "can't deport asylum seekers to countries where they are gonna be persecuted".
Original post by Alpha Lamb Meme
Saw this in CEMB twitter...

:frown:

Yeah. They're all poor countries who have enough issues of their own. How dare these people? :colonhash: Why doesn't their country help them? If no one has come to their aid while they were in their home country, why would anyone take them off of it? :facepalm: Yes poverty is horrible, genocide is horrible, but sailing unannounced to other impoverished places is asinine.
Maybe they won't take them because of some binding law in Myanmar? Maybe people won't take them because they're Islamic like I know Indonesia has a lot of Islam but it's also going through some Christian evolution, gradually.
What do you expect us to do about it? As brutal as it is to say and as heartless as it sounds, I don't think it's Britain's problem.

Where did you read this?
IMO if nobody wants to take them then the countries which don't want the refugees should man up and have a long, hard chat with Myanmar about it.

These people can't be citizens of *nowhere* forever, if they are born in Burma and their families have all been in Burma then it should be made clear that they are Burmese and these other countries will not have good relations with Burma until this has happened and they've stopped persecuting them.

At the end of the day I feel terrible for these individuals, but it's also not right for the Burmese to basically expel these people through persecution and make them into a problem for other people. I think the Thai and Malaysian governments are in a tricky situation with this. To be honest I think it's the same with the current massive wave of immigration from Africa into Europe - at the end of the day, the root problem is that these people are having to seek asylum in the first place. More pressure needs to be put on the countries they are fleeing from (where possible). Hard to do when there's civil war and general chaos (Syria...) but perhaps less so in somewhere like Burma. Then again I'm not an international relations expert!
I don't think it's that nobody gives a hoot (although it seems like some people don't). I think it's more that it's difficult to know what to do about the immediate issue of people floating in the ocean without setting an unsustainable precedent.

The international community needs to put pressure on the governments of the countries these refugees are fleeing. It's not a problem we can solve on their behalf.

Original post by seaholme
x

Snap.
(edited 8 years ago)

It could be martyrdom for their religion. You never know!! Like they're literally jumping ship, which isn't very logical as they will die in the sea :s-smilie: It could be that the place they came from told them to go on this expedition to see how the world reacts and used these people as lamb :K:

This is what I read:

Many Rohingyas have fled to ghettos and refugee camps in neighbouring Bangladesh, and to areas along the Thai-Burmese border. More than 100,000 Rohingyas in Burma continue to live in camps for internally displaced persons, not allowed by authorities to leave.[25][26] Rohingyas have received international attention in the wake of 2012 Rakhine State riots.

This could just be what they do or perhaps motive for international aid since their country deprives them so much, apparently. Either way, this wasn't a very intelligent mission.
Original post by TurboCretin
I don't think it's that nobody gives a hoot (although it seems like some people don't). I think it's more that it's difficult to know what to do about the immediate issue of people floating in the ocean without setting an unsustainable precedent.

The international community needs to put pressure on the governments of the countries these refugees are fleeing. It's not a problem we can solve on their behalf.

Exactly Jesus God yes!!!
Reply 19
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32770390

Apparently, ISIS militants take 50% of the cut from the traffickers they're co-operating with.

The longer this continues, the more funding they'll get. And by the looks of it, the flow of migrants won't be stopping anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending