The Student Room Group

OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=natashaellenx;55891049]Can anyone give me a weakness of the developmental approach? I've already go that it lacks ethics because it studies children but I need one more.... :smile:

You can say it's reductionalist as its only looking at one aspect e.g S&B only focused on intellectual abilities but ignored social and emotional responses
Original post by natashaellenx
I'm not allowed to use that one hahah, i'm under strict orders by my teacher to not use it! I have no idea why though...

maybe, not representitive of general population since samuel and bryant only used kids from devon. so cannot be generalised.

also demand characteristics due to high standardisation of lab experiments
also i've been tryna upload section A 2014 questions but the files have been a nightmare.
these are 2 section A questions which came up last year but i keep freezing on it. how would you answer these

1. outline how data was recorded in savage-rumbaugh whilst pygmy chimps were indoors

2. suggest one strength of the method used to gather data whilst pygmy chimps were indoors

each 2 markers
Can anyone give me a weakness of the developmental approach? I've already go that it lacks ethics because it studies children but I need one more.... :smile:

A weakness of the developmental approach is that they often use laboratory experiments which means that the study lacks ecological validity. Lacking ecological validity means that the study cannot be perfectly applied to real life. For example, Samuel and Bryant’s study of conservation was conducted in a laboratory where the children were in a room with the researchers, this is not something which would happen on an everyday basis. Therefore, it lacks ecological validity.
Original post by zinodoll
also i've been tryna upload section A 2014 questions but the files have been a nightmare.
these are 2 section A questions which came up last year but i keep freezing on it. how would you answer these

1. outline how data was recorded in savage-rumbaugh whilst pygmy chimps were indoors

2. suggest one strength of the method used to gather data whilst pygmy chimps were indoors

each 2 markers

1. Data was recorded using a Lexigram (a board of geometric symbols that light up when touched.) It was auto-recorded every time a button was pressed. (A speech synthesiser was also attached for Kanzi & Mulika)

2. I'm not sure but... One strength of using the Lexigram whilst the pygmy chimps were indoors is that the technology used in the Lexigram allowed the board to be lit up and auto-record the data. Making it easier to record.
Original post by Clovers
Hey guys do you think it would be okay to risk not learning freud properly ? Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's a good idea because in Section A they ask you questions on all the studies, and you would need to have a good knowledge of the studies to be able to answer the question, as they can ask you anything
1. Data was recorded using a Lexigram (a board of geometric symbols that light up when touched.) It was auto-recorded every time a button was pressed. (A speech synthesiser was also attached for Kanzi & Mulika)

2. I'm not sure but... One strength of using the Lexigram whilst the pygmy chimps were indoors is that the technology used in the Lexigram allowed the board to be lit up and auto-record the data. Making it easier to record.

I'd definitely agree with your points here. However, do you think you would be able to mention that the when Mulika and Kanzi pressed the symbols on the lexigrams they were sent straight to the computer, whereas this was not possible outside as they had to record them by hand and then enter them onto the computer later, therefore recording inside was a strength? Not sure though, just an idea?
[QUOTE="gemmax6x;55881199"]
Original post by kingdoo

Oh god, I was hoping for milgram on section B but now I'm not sure, so if it asked for procedure etc would you say controlled observation and not lab experiment?

Yeah it was a controlled observation because there was only one condition. People think it is a lab experiment because participants get allocated to being the learner or the teacher however this was not manipulated because they were always going to be the learner.
My teacher has never given us a past paper and hasn't tought us any approaches at all. I only know about them from when I printed my own past papers off.
Section C Past questions:

Jan 2012 physiological, cognitive
June 2012 individual differences, developmental
Jan 2013 cognitive, social
Jun 2013 Individual differences, physiological
2014 cognitive, behaviourist

Section B Past Questions:
jun 2012 Maguire, Piliavin, Savage R
jan 2013 Thigpen & C, Freud, Rosenhan
june 2013 Sperry, Loftus & Palmer, Baron-Cohen
jun 2014 Dement & Kleitman, Thigpen & C, Reicher & H

Here are all the past questions if anyone wants them, though the only thing to be taken from them is that they 100% never repeat the same study two years in a row for B, and never the same approach for C. I reckon psychodynamic and either social or developmental will be the section C but it's not worth taking chances so I suppose it'll be a looong night of cramming :borat:
for strengths and weaknesses question of an approach.

can it be a strength of a study or does it have to somehow link to all three of the studies within the approach? i'm in the middle of a paper and the mark scheme says "study specific answers are not creditworthy :eek:

how r we gonna find s & w which relate to them ALL
Original post by IbtisamAbdi
I don't think that's a good idea because in Section A they ask you questions on all the studies, and you would need to have a good knowledge of the studies to be able to answer the question, as they can ask you anything

Nooooo! Hmmm ... its just because
I don't like freud AT ALL its a mission for me to read it rather than learn it :no::no::frown::frown::frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zinodoll
for strengths and weaknesses question of an approach.

can it be a strength of a study or does it have to somehow link to all three of the studies within the approach? i'm in the middle of a paper and the mark scheme says "study specific answers are not creditworthy :eek:

how r we gonna find s & w which relate to them ALL

I am pretty sure it means that the strength has to be an overall strength which relates to the whole approach, but you have to give evidence from the study :smile:

I don't think the strength/weakness has to relate to all the studies, but as long as it relates to at least one it's alright! :smile:
Does anyone have any resources or tips to help with the similarities and differences between studies question?? :smile:
Reply 154
heeey!! Does anyone have any link to the JUNE 2014 pyshology core studies ocr paper?? If so can you pretty pleasee send it to me?
Original post by luxshi
heeey!! Does anyone have any link to the JUNE 2014 pyshology core studies ocr paper?? If so can you pretty pleasee send it to me?

I have the actual paper if you need any information on it feel free to pm me :smile:
Reply 156
Thank you! i've sent you an email :smile: send it to my email please x
[QUOTE="gemmax6x;55881199"]
Original post by kingdoo

Oh god, I was hoping for milgram on section B but now I'm not sure, so if it asked for procedure etc would you say controlled observation and not lab experiment?

YOU MUST put it as a controlled observation, I was all set to put it as a lab exp, or at least argue that it was, but my teacher has told me that the exam board now only excepts it as a controlled observation, silly I know!
What are the strengths and weakness of the social, developmental and psychodynamic approaches/perspective? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Strengths and weaknesses of quasi experiments?

Quick Reply