The Student Room Group

Biology AS AQA

just thought i would make a thread for those people doing AQA biology on the 21st May if anyone needs any help with anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I'm doing the exam and I don't know I'm pretty confident in general about the info within the text book but I'm not a fan of the application questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
you arent alone. I need help with how science works questions
Original post by Hyder08
Yeah I'm doing the exam and I don't know I'm pretty confident in general about the info within the text book but I'm not a fan of the application questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by zoe.imogen
just thought i would make a thread for those people doing AQA biology on the 21st May if anyone needs any help with anything!

Omg just everything. I am dreading unit 2 even more :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tay22

Posted from TSR Mobile
where is everyone? i think unit 2 is much more easier than unit 1.does anyone know a website for how science works questions
Reply 5
I'm doing it this Thursday too, haven't done any work for it all year and really regretting it now!
I'll let you know how I do haha
Original post by Hyder08

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by grapes12
I'm doing it this Thursday too, haven't done any work for it all year and really regretting it now!
I'll let you know how I do haha

ditto, im resitting unit 1 and 2. the main thing i think is to read the questions and all the information given really carefully, think that's where i went wrong last year. by writing irrelevant information/facts
Reply 7
Just my school where Biology is taught really badly? We did out ISA's 2 weeks before the deadline, everything was dreadful, seriously considering dropping at A2
Reply 8
Original post by tay22

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry! Is there anything in particular you struggle with, and we have a week in between unit one and two so you have plenty of time to revise!
Reply 9
Original post by maggie43
you arent alone. I need help with how science works questions

I'm the same however what I find best is defo using a highlighter in the exam to highlight important points in the passage, also print off as many as you can find on aqa and just do them one after another, not the whole paper just the questions. I do this for all the topics too because you get a feel if what the examiner is looking for so you can avoid over writing and be concise. Also, read the parts of the text book that read application and so those questions for extra practice. You could also do research especially into new drugs or developments which would help you gain a better understanding of topics :smile:
Reply 10
Oh and everyone, READ THE EXAMINERS REPORTS! mark your own paper with them in front of you so you can see what examiners like to read or what people struggle on then focus on the topics!
Reply 11
i'm dreading it! on an exam paper i can't even work out the heart rate from a figure!
Has anyone got any idea of what the 5 markers are likely to be?
Reply 13
Good advice
Reply 14
I need help with sodium-potassium pump because I really don't get it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Ha.mdi

The sodium- potassium pump is about moving sodium and potassium ions across the cell membrane using active transport.
The sodium- potassium pump is an example of when a molecule or ion is being moved into a cell at the same time as a different one is being removed from it.

In the pump, sodium ions are actively removed from the cell while potassium ions are actively taken in from the surroundings. This process is essential to a number of important processes in the organism, such as the creation of nerve impulses.

i haven't been taught that much about it but that is what i know, there is also another part to it, involving glucose, about the role of active transport in absorption, if you'd like me to explain the stages of that?

it's all so confusing o_0
I really hope that there are 5 or 6 markers on control of the cardiac cycle, or atheroma/thrombosis
Reply 17
Original post by Ha.mdi

found it really difficult to start off with but if you look at the spec it doesn't actually mention the potassium, for this year all you need to know is that sodium ions are actively transports out of the epithelial cell into the blood stream which makes the concentration gradient of the cell lower therefore sodium ions are diffused from the small intestine lumen into the epithelial cells coupled with a glucose molecule as the glucose has to move against its concentration gradient. (This happens when the concentration of glucose is higher in the cell than in the lumen because most of it has already been diffused into the cell)
Reply 18
I'm also doing this on Thursday and really feel like I need some help, or at least a lot of luck.

Any tips would be great!
Reply 19
I really don't get what we need to know on T-Cells and B-Cells. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending